Case Mod Contest Voting Warning

More
07 Oct 2010 02:52 #10068 by garfi3ld
I just want to make everyone know that I am aware that there are a few ways to game the system. Everyone involved needs to discourage this kind of activity. I do keep an eye on the voting and have been deleting these votes as they come up. You are only creating more work for me.. In the end people doing this could end up causing the person they are voting for to be disqualified and at minimum they could loose legitimate votes as I try to keep things under control.

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: draymac, NitrosDragon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2010 05:12 - 07 Oct 2010 05:20 #10076 by LeatherFace
:-) im staying legit....

And thank you guys for putting this on, I know a few months ago, i was ssnappy about the postponment for 60 days, but all and all,, kudos to you guys for keeping it fair, and showing you do want this to succeed... Go Browns!!!!
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 05:20 by LeatherFace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NitrosDragon

More
07 Oct 2010 06:22 - 07 Oct 2010 06:30 #10083 by SXRguyinMA
:( :angry: :pinch:

the whole voting system is bs. I had 6 votes, and after I voted for myself today I'm at 4! wtf is that? like I'm trying to game the system with my measly 6 votes when the leaders have almost 70

my wife voted for me from her computer on the same network (she shares my wireless connection) could that have been the problem?
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 06:30 by SXRguyinMA.

More
07 Oct 2010 06:42 #10085 by garfi3ld
Honestly I havn't seen anything that shows that the competitors have been voting themselves. I did have a few that I questions but all were answered. I only pulled votes today from the same accounts voting multiple times in a day. Sorry if it effected you, but I can tell you for sure the top guys saw a much larger hit.

Im sorry if there have been any problems, I am doing my best to keep everything fair.

Wes

More
08 Oct 2010 19:53 #10124 by LeatherFace
I believe claptrap had around 20 votes removed on day 2, im not sure if I had any, not that im aware of .. but no votes were removed yesterday from anyone, so not sure whats going on ..

More
08 Oct 2010 20:07 - 08 Oct 2010 20:09 #10125 by CrazyBillyBob
I spoke with Wes.
I approve of his removal of the votes. He did the right thing!

I've lost in contests like this in the past because of odd votes.
So The Admin supervision here is a good thing!

CBB
Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 20:09 by CrazyBillyBob.

More
08 Oct 2010 20:19 #10126 by Wingless92
If you do "Game" the system, that is just sad! I have voted twice so far. Need to vote for one last rig and i'm done.

People that cheat will get the ban hammer.

More
08 Oct 2010 20:23 - 08 Oct 2010 20:24 #10127 by LeatherFace
well i hope he keeps a close eye on it, i didnt recieve any messages about any removed votes (yet) so it seems like maybe the systems is being gamed, im having fun though and its a fun contest, i certainly enjoy seeing all the inovation and creation from JJ and some of the other guys....Cheaters dont stop they just go to plan B
Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 20:24 by LeatherFace.

More
08 Oct 2010 20:38 #10129 by CrazyBillyBob
You right there are ways to game any system.

In fact I think I just noticed one today.
But I also think that the admin staff already know about it.
And I don't plan on using it...or even testing it.

This thing is just too close :)
I keep seeing JJ pull up !! it's still anyone's to win!

More
08 Oct 2010 20:41 #10130 by SXRguyinMA
I don't know about ANYONE'S game...seeing how the majority of us are WELL over 100 votes behind lol

More
08 Oct 2010 20:53 - 08 Oct 2010 20:55 #10133 by LeatherFace
i think its fair to say Billy u had 20 votes removed, u already know how to game the system. or know someon that does, in which case they arent realy going to doit without talking to you first.,,, most of us ask our friends to login so they do, they wouldnt have a clue how cheat. but to say billy u had 20 votes removed and just today relize how to cheat, is kind of funny, u knew 2 days ago. :-)..
Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 20:55 by LeatherFace.

More
08 Oct 2010 20:53 #10134 by jj_Sky5000

CrazyBillyBob wrote: You right there are ways to game any system.

In fact I think I just noticed one today.
But I also think that the admin staff already know about it.
And I don't plan on using it...or even testing it.

This thing is just too close :)
I keep seeing JJ pull up !! it's still anyone's to win!

i just need another 80+ votes and i am right there. i cant even buy votes lol

More
08 Oct 2010 21:09 #10136 by LeatherFace

i just need another 80+ votes and i am right there. i cant even buy votes lol

im promising cake at the end !!

More
08 Oct 2010 21:13 #10137 by L0rdG1gabyt3

LeatherFace wrote: im promising cake at the end !!

The cake is a lie!!!

More
08 Oct 2010 21:22 #10139 by CrazyBillyBob

LeatherFace wrote: i think its fair to say Billy u had 20 votes removed, u already know how to game the system. or know someon that does, in which case they arent realy going to doit without talking to you first.,,, most of us ask our friends to login so they do, they wouldnt have a clue how cheat. but to say billy u had 20 votes removed and just today relize how to cheat, is kind of funny, u knew 2 days ago. :-)..

Leather.... I'm not sure how to take this.:huh: .... So I'll be polite :ohmy: ...
I've done a little advertising about the contest... Not much, mostly word of mouth.

As for the rest of your post....:angry:

Enough said!

CBB

More
08 Oct 2010 21:24 #10141 by CrazyBillyBob

jj_Sky5000 wrote: i just need another 80+ votes and i am right there. i cant even buy votes lol

If anyone can pull down that many Votes you can :)
Like I said before...It's a really good MOD!

More
08 Oct 2010 21:29 #10142 by Twodavez
I may be gaming the system, because i thought my ability to vote reset at midnight, so you could vote at 11:59 pm day 1 and then 6:00 am day 2 and then you couldn't vote again until day 3 at 12:01 am. (1 vote per day)
So i was voting whenever it let me, not really keeping track of when the last time i voted was and making sure 24 hours had passed... :unsure:
I know at one point i voted from home a 8 pm, then came into work the next day and voted again at 8 am becuase i knew i wasn't going to be able to get on my PC at home. So it was 2 votes in 2 days, but they both may have happened with-in the same 24 hour period.
If i was cheating, i didn't intend to and i hope Garfi3ld can research and make sure i'm being legal... :)
Sorry :(

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
08 Oct 2010 21:43 #10145 by jj_Sky5000
That one of the loop holes easly found. I had a hard time not voting when i got to work. Mutiple ips same login or mutiple logins same ip. but its all logged, and the admin can easly delete the duplicate ip or logins.

More
08 Oct 2010 21:53 #10146 by CrazyBillyBob
The loophole I bumped into today had to deal with way different browsers handle
the voting site. I normally run FF today I happened to be troubleshooting an IE issue and bumped into it. I was curious so I came back to the site with Chrome.

Dave,
I'm sure that some other folks have done the same thing.

More
08 Oct 2010 22:05 - 08 Oct 2010 22:14 #10148 by LeatherFace
cookies.... Browsers dont share cookies, if you goto the site and it doesnt see the cookie , it doesnt think u have voted and allows u to vote over and oover and over and over and over as long as it has to upload a cookie, like maybe even 20 times, thats why different browsers allow u to vote each seperatly.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 22:14 by LeatherFace.

More
08 Oct 2010 22:34 #10153 by SXRguyinMA
back to my earlier comment...

For the amount and value of the prizes being given away, it's a shame there wasn't more thought put into the voting and vote tallying systems.

If it were a few $10 gift cards or the like, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But when you're talking about thousands of dollars in prizes, there's more incentive for people to find loopholes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeatherFace

More
08 Oct 2010 22:35 #10154 by CrazyBillyBob
I was trying to keep my post vague as not to give anyone any new ideas :woohoo:

And like I said I just figured this out today.

I'm certain I've only voted once a day. I'll be honest and say like Dave I may have not been 24 hours apart every time but there has only been one vote per day.
I'm ok if my vote that may not have been 24 hrs apart got dropped.

I think that the process is even...

If you would like to talk with me privately about anything I'm all for it.

but lets get off the "20" kick.

More
08 Oct 2010 22:38 - 08 Oct 2010 22:44 #10155 by LeatherFace
im was just messing with ya :-) lol..... if we dont kill garfi3ld from headaches or heart explosion and get to this is again sometime, i say maybe make the numbers private to only the staff until the end. their is another issue with swaying votes to, its more of a popularity contest then anything, its fun, but we are nerds we dont have friends..
Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 22:44 by LeatherFace.

More
08 Oct 2010 22:47 #10156 by SXRguyinMA
yea keeping the votes private till the end isn't a bad idea either. Most of my friends I ran it by didn't vote because they didn't want to sign up for another account they'll never use lol. They said if they didn' thave to sign up they would have done it no problem, but that in itself would lead to way more issues than having to creat an account

More
08 Oct 2010 22:47 #10157 by jj_Sky5000
Another good way is to get a panel of 5 judges from the Sponsor to rate the cases 1 -12. Who ever has the highest number is the winner. no swaying of votes- no popularity contest. I feel bad for all the modders involved who didnt have the social capilities to attract votes or was caught off guard. Your 100% correct Leatherface it is a populairty contest. It has absolutly nothing to do with the work and creativeness of the mod.

More
08 Oct 2010 22:52 - 08 Oct 2010 23:00 #10158 by LeatherFace
imo u cant pick sponsors to be judges they will be biased towards products, but maybe, the winner becomes a judge in the next competition , make it a requirment to be a judge if u enter and win, im sure modders inc. guys would judge, or darthbeavis from out of the box modding, cpu magazine im sure would judge.. its online so their is no travel, get companys like digital trends magazine to judge.

But i believe the reciepe is for the People to vote... hmmm....
Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 23:00 by LeatherFace.

More
08 Oct 2010 23:23 #10160 by CrazyBillyBob
The issue with judges is that they are biased. Some only like "Box" mods.
From scratch mods that are not PC shaped don't do well in some places.
Sometimes they look too closely at the mods and fail to see the forest for the trees.

Peoples choice sometimes can go the other way, blinky lights and wiz bang effects garner votes that should have go to a more thought out and executed mod.
or are an Open popularity contest.

I've yet to be in the "perfect" case mod contest... But I'm sure it's out there (or will be the next time Garfi3ld runs one ;) )

There has to be a balancing point between WOW factor, and technical merit.

CBB

For those that don't know any better this is a GOOD contest. The Admins care, it was publicized, any major changes were announced ahead of time. For the few things that folks don't like about the voting (Technically, or in execution). There are 10's of things (at least) that are Right with it. For this being LanOC.org's first online Case mod contest they are well on their way to having a GREAT if not the best CASE mod contest out there. I just hope we (the contestants) don't screw it up and scare them out of doing another one!:P :) :woohoo:

More
08 Oct 2010 23:27 - 08 Oct 2010 23:30 #10161 by jj_Sky5000
I would definlaty keep the people out of it, because its a becomes a popularty vote. and let a panel decide. its no different than letting The sposnors decide Every body is going to be bias one way or another. a least the sponosors will have a input on your thier free merchidise is going to go why would you not get them involved? if its 5 diffenrt judges from 5 diffenrt companys how will that favor anybody?:huh:
Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 23:30 by jj_Sky5000.

More
09 Oct 2010 00:36 #10162 by garfi3ld
I think nomatter how the voting is done you will have people being upset. I did my best even from the begining to let everyone know how the voting on this contest will be done. Good or bad, we have to live with it. I have done my best to keep the voting itself as fair as it can be. Privately we have discussed other options on voting show we do this in the future, some of that discussion being even before the voting even went live. I am sorry that this type of voting has made it difficult for some of our competitors. What I am shocked to see is that some of the entry's have almost no votes. At minimum you could have atleast 5 just from your own votes.

Wes

More
09 Oct 2010 00:41 #10164 by SXRguyinMA

garfi3ld wrote: At minimum you could have atleast 5 just from your own votes.

Or 4, depending on how you 24-hour blocks worked out. It it was once per day (i.e. vote at 8pm, then 8am following morning) then yes 5 at least. but the 24-hour thing gets in the way sometimes (i.e. vote @ 8pm, can't vote until 8pm again, get busy that night don't vote, vote next day @8am, etc etc.)

We have 1505 guests and no members online

supportus