LanOC v11 Q and A

More
29 Aug 2012 03:28 #27613 by garfi3ld
LanOC v11 Q and A was created by garfi3ld
I just wanted to post up and invite ANYONE to ask anything that they don't know about the event. More than anything im curious if we need to improve on making sure we get the information out there. But this is a great place to ask us anything about your upcoming time at the LAN. For example:

Can we sleep at the building and if so where?
We do have the building open and available for people to sleep there during the event. You are welcome to setup and sleep anywhere that won't prevent anyone from moving around. A few good locations are actually under your table, along the walls, and in the back meeting room that we try to make room for sleeping at. Because we have a limited amount of room, we ask that you only setup your sleeping "camp" once you are ready to go to bed. Setting up stuff just to hold a good location isn't fair to others.

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2012 06:22 #27628 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic LanOC v11 Q and A
Not a smoker, but I know it has come up, what are the designated areas?

More
29 Aug 2012 07:22 #27632 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic LanOC v11 Q and A
Out from and to the left is the preferred spot from what I remember. If we went to the side the smoke drifted in and bother lan goers.

More
29 Aug 2012 08:15 #27633 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic LanOC v11 Q and A
Not a smoker, but I know it has come up, what are the designated areas?

The best location is out the left side door. The right side door is off limits. You can also go out the front as well.

Wes

More
29 Aug 2012 16:22 #27639 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic LanOC v11 Q and A

garfi3ld wrote: Not a smoker, but I know it has come up, what are the designated areas?

The best location is out the left side door. The right side door is off limits. You can also go out the front as well.

This really hasn't been a problem in the past, but please make sure you're far enough from the door that we do'nt have to walk through a plume of smoke to get out of the building.
Thanks in advance for being mindful of us non-smokers. :)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
29 Aug 2012 16:32 #27642 by Twodavez
Do you have a list of any/all new people to the LAN OC scene? I think it would be cool to introduce new people to the community at one of the raffles. It doesn't have to be a big thing, just take 10 min and say welcome to "new person's name...". If they want they can step forward and say hi, or just stand in the back and hope no one sees them. If we're going to be a community, lets take the time to meet the new people in a group setting to break the ice.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
29 Aug 2012 22:56 #27656 by Sideout
Replied by Sideout on topic LanOC v11 Q and A
Oh my wife is attending her first ever LAN and this would be a prime opportunity to pay her back for my 40th birthday!!!

She will kill me but it will so be worth it.

I am the LAN!!!!

More
29 Aug 2012 23:10 #27657 by Twodavez

Sideout wrote: Oh my wife is attending her first ever LAN and this would be a prime opportunity to pay her back for my 40th birthday!!!

She will kill me but it will so be worth it.

I don't want it to embarrass people, but help make them feel welcome and also give the community a chance to see who they are and maybe make it a point to introduce themselves...

It's not like you'd have to sign up your wife to be on a list or anything, it would just be a normal thing, i'm sure there is a way for the staff to check for new users to the site and their attendance to their first LAN OC event!

More
29 Aug 2012 23:16 #27660 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic LanOC v11 Q and A
ROFL. Sideout is right though, I would see this as probably being more embarrassing than anything. Their names will get called anyway if they win raffle stuff, so just go introduce yourself or add them on Steam if you want to say hey.

More
29 Aug 2012 23:40 #27661 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic LanOC v11 Q and A
Yeah I don't think we should do introductions BUT if your name gets drawn for a prize if your just lazily all the way across the room not paying a darns bit attention to the raffle you should have about 20 seconds to get your butt up there and claim the prize. Otherwise you're wasting mine and everyone else's time.

More
29 Aug 2012 23:55 #27662 by Wooderson
Replied by Wooderson on topic LanOC v11 Q and A

Twodavez wrote: Do you have a list of any/all new people to the LAN OC scene? I think it would be cool to introduce new people to the community at one of the raffles. It doesn't have to be a big thing, just take 10 min and say welcome to "new person's name...". If they want they can step forward and say hi, or just stand in the back and hope no one sees them. If we're going to be a community, lets take the time to meet the new people in a group setting to break the ice.

I would like the opportunity to meet first time LanOC goers as well, but I believe Pc gamers are solitary creatures that aren’t really social butterflies out of game. So in an attempt not to make anyone uncomfortable you could ask everyone when they win a prize how many LanOCs does this make, where they're from, and if new, what they think about LanOC so far etc. I don't know if this would take too long though? Maybe just have their names posted on the Lans homepage, but then they're just names and we won’t know which one they are. One of the best parts of the Lan for me is the opportunity to meet people that share my interest. It would be cool if we could figure out something

I kill CPU's

More
30 Aug 2012 00:10 #27663 by Twodavez

Myndmelt wrote: Yeah I don't think we should do introductions BUT if your name gets drawn for a prize if your just lazily all the way across the room not paying a darns bit attention to the raffle you should have about 20 seconds to get your butt up there and claim the prize. Otherwise you're wasting mine and everyone else's time.

+1

Although, if the raffle falls at the end of a LoL game (over an hour and a half ingame), i expect a little consideration that i'm not up there. It's happened in the past, even though plenty of time has been devoted to the match in reference to the raffle time...
Just sayin'

More
30 Aug 2012 00:17 #27664 by garfi3ld
we post up the raffle times well ahead of your game time. Please keep in mind that everyone is waiting. We also use the raffle time to talk about sponsors who support the event and upcoming things. This is why we schedule our tournaments far away from raffle times :).

can't you vote for a pause in game?

Wes

More
30 Aug 2012 00:22 - 30 Aug 2012 00:25 #27666 by Myndmelt
The time schedule isn't super strict but that's what they are there for so you know when to expect raffles and such to happen. So the whole "I just started this game and now I have to quit and could get banned" excuse is pretty bogus. But I see what you are saying.

I've seen the same excuse come up when a scheduled tournament was about to happen and that person was in a casual game online with friends (in other words not a tournament game).
Last edit: 30 Aug 2012 00:25 by Myndmelt.

More
30 Aug 2012 00:34 #27668 by Twodavez

garfi3ld wrote: we post up the raffle times well ahead of your game time. Please keep in mind that everyone is waiting. We also use the raffle time to talk about sponsors who support the event and upcoming things. This is why we schedule our tournaments far away from raffle times :).

can't you vote for a pause in game?

No, there is no pause option in LoL. And a typical game lasts an hour, and if we schedule an hour and a half for the game, and it runs another 15 min after that, i'm just saying, be mindful, especially if we're playing with others at the LAN. now if we're playing WoW and our raid group ran long, then that's not acceptable, be a LAN participant or stay home and play with your guild online...

You know me, i'm always in the front row cheering on the sponsors, so i just wanted to speak my peace that planning happens, but sometimes games run extra long.

More
30 Aug 2012 01:02 - 30 Aug 2012 01:16 #27669 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic LanOC v11 Q and A
Looks like we have no other option than to block LoL ports at the LAN. :P
Last edit: 30 Aug 2012 01:16 by Dreyvas.

More
30 Aug 2012 07:27 #27687 by Myndmelt

Dreyvas wrote: Looks like we have no other option than to block LoL ports at the LAN. :P

Ha, I think its a wonderful idea!

More
30 Aug 2012 07:30 #27688 by garfi3ld
lets keep this on topic :)

Wes

We have 2942 guests and no members online

supportus