League of Legends 1v1 tourny

More
07 Aug 2012 01:44 - 14 Aug 2012 20:13 #26886 by Davey_Boy
Hey guys!

So I decided that I think a LoL 1v1 tourny could be a lot of fun! I decided that I will be willing to host it :laugh:

Basically these are the rules:
  • Best of 3 matches
  • Blind Pick
  • First Blood or First tower decides the winner
  • Mid lane and jungle are allowed, but NO other lanes.
  • I'm going to ban promote since that can make it easy to get the first tower early game

Rules are subject to change if you can convince me otherwise ;)

!!NEED FEEDBACK!!
Last edit: 14 Aug 2012 20:13 by Davey_Boy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: h4lt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2012 01:55 #26888 by garfi3ld
One person per team?

I like it!

Wes

More
07 Aug 2012 02:06 #26889 by h4lt
Replied by h4lt on topic League of Legends 1v1 tourny
Sounds like fun to me!

More
07 Aug 2012 02:09 #26890 by Davey_Boy
This LoL Company called Solomid.net used to always do a 1v1 tourny. It looked like a lot of fun! That and it'd help since it's hard to find a pub team most of the time. Now it's based on your individual skill! :D

More
07 Aug 2012 17:33 #26896 by Twodavez
I think an All Random All Mid using the new Proving Grounds Map would be fun. Or why not use the proving grounds map for this 1v1? unless the Jungle has more strategy with it being there...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
07 Aug 2012 18:49 #26898 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic League of Legends 1v1 tourny

Twodavez wrote: I think an All Random All Mid using the new Proving Grounds Map would be fun.

We uh, might be announcing something with Proving Grounds in place of the Smite tournament. Stay tuned!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
07 Aug 2012 19:35 #26899 by jj_Sky5000
I think i would actually play and practice a for 1v1 tourney
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davey_Boy

More
07 Aug 2012 20:38 - 07 Aug 2012 20:42 #26901 by Davey_Boy

Twodavez wrote: Or why not use the proving grounds map for this 1v1? unless the Jungle has more strategy with it being there...

I've seen some pretty sick strategies come from the jungle so I'm gonna leave it as it is ;)

jj_Sky5000 wrote: I think i would actually play and practice a for 1v1 tourney

I figured people might be more willing to participate when it relies on their own skills and not as a team :P

PS. This game-style isn't just being able to sit mid and try to win....use your minds and think of a weird way to get an edge. I'm gonna spoil one method that I saw a guy do just to give you guys a hint. He ran smite + ignite for his summoners and kennen. Right when the wraith camp spawned he smited the big wraith and proceeded to go into lane. Because he smited that big wraith for the XP he hit lvl 2 faster than the other kennen and he rushed him and killed him winning the game. Now try to see if you can come up with some kinda weird strategy like that :silly:
Last edit: 07 Aug 2012 20:42 by Davey_Boy.

More
07 Aug 2012 21:17 #26904 by Twodavez
Are most champs picked Nuke/High and quick DPS style, or do you get some tank battles?
What's the average level that people get to before the game is over?
I just wanna know what to anticipate as i've never really played anything less than 3v3...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
08 Aug 2012 00:58 #26912 by Davey_Boy

Twodavez wrote: Are most champs picked Nuke/High and quick DPS style, or do you get some tank battles?
What's the average level that people get to before the game is over?
I just wanna know what to anticipate as i've never really played anything less than 3v3...

Really anything can happen in these haha I've seen people pick safe pushing champs like Malzahar and just hope to out push the opponent and get the first tower. I've also seen people run a "cheese" style approach and go for a champ that has a high-chance to kill early. I've seen games end at lvl 2 and I've seen games last till about lvl 14-15 ish.

More
08 Aug 2012 08:01 #26925 by Leonresevil2
Sorry, but this just doesn't sound good imo. It's a team game. It'd be like 1v1 TF2, even if it's random, it's not really a good fight. Same champ maybe, but I don't see it working well.
Hate to be that guy, but both sides of opinions are needed here. I feel first tower/first death is especially rough, as there is no room for comebacks.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
08 Aug 2012 09:04 #26929 by Davey_Boy

Leonresevil2 wrote: Sorry, but this just doesn't sound good imo. It's a team game. It'd be like 1v1 TF2, even if it's random, it's not really a good fight. Same champ maybe, but I don't see it working well.
Hate to be that guy, but both sides of opinions are needed here. I feel first tower/first death is especially rough, as there is no room for comebacks.

Well first of all...there's more than one way to play LoL. Saying it's a "team game" is kinda close minded don't ya think? ;) Ultimately yes it's a team game in 5v5's and 3v3's but the laning phase is (unless you're bot lane) a 1v1. I don't understand the comparison to TF2...they're two very different games. And seeing how many champs there are in LoL I don't see why only same champ matches would be good. The whole first tower/first death is supposed to be rough because it adds that intensity of not making a mistake. Plus it makes the matches go faster so we can get through everybody. :P

I thank you for your input don't think I'm bashing I'm just trying to help persuade you to not think it'll be a total fail :laugh:

More
08 Aug 2012 16:02 #26933 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic League of Legends 1v1 tourny

Leonresevil2 wrote: It'd be like 1v1 TF2

I remember Wes and I wasting waaay too much time playing Sniper v Sniper.

I think it will be a fun experience. And we will have an more 'traditional' format offered at the event, which should be announced soon *cough* Plague *cough*

:D

More
08 Aug 2012 16:24 #26937 by Twodavez

Leonresevil2 wrote: Sorry, but this just doesn't sound good imo. It's a team game. It'd be like 1v1 TF2, even if it's random, it's not really a good fight. Same champ maybe, but I don't see it working well.

I agree with you Leon, but think these would go fast and would be pretty heated battles, making things fun. It's something not done before in our group and might be a fun unofficial tourney, as i thought Smite was going to be used as the official...
I'd elect for double elimination just because it's going to take us a few games to ge the hang of how this should be played...
Just make sure games are kept going and people have the time to devote to see this tourney through. If you're not here when its your turn and you knew it was coming up, you forfiet, we don't have time to wait for everyone to get back or take a break...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Davey_Boy

More
08 Aug 2012 21:41 #26940 by Davey_Boy
It's a bo3 so if you wanna add a dbl elimination I guess we could try that too lol idk guess we'll see how it goes at the LAN.

More
14 Aug 2012 07:26 - 14 Aug 2012 07:28 #27116 by Leonresevil2
As with the official ARAM tourney, the general concept is definitely aimed for fun, as it's just not competitively balanced. The TF2 case was the simplest case I could think of for a competitive game that is designed with innate roles and counters. Another analogy would be would be to have a starcraft tournament but say you could only bring one combat unit to the midfield and first to die loses. At least there you wouldn't have a loading screen telling you what the enemy will be using, but still it's inconsistent. The main reason the early game meta fell off was because teams could work to push games late and just hold out.

On that, I could see Anivia being super OP at this, pushing poking walling farming and not losing an inch of ground. And even when attacked, she won't die the first time. Would you handle her egg as a death, or rely upon the in-game statement of death to determine it? Or just ban her?

I could see it being random fun bouts, but I guess that's the main issue of mine, calling it a tournament instills the ideas of LoL streams and matches either side could win. I feel this wouldn't have the same odds, but it can be fun as long as it's not taken butthurt-seriously.

I'll add I feel this could be more fun with SMITE, as it's different and a change of pace.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2012 07:28 by Leonresevil2.

More
14 Aug 2012 09:21 #27117 by lonewolf170
you shouldn't run draft mode. It'll be unbalanced as the played who picks second will be able to counter pick. From what I've seen it's blind pick with bans being done in chat before the match starts.
Sorry if someone mentioned that, just my 2cents

More
14 Aug 2012 09:26 #27118 by lonewolf170

Leonresevil2 wrote:
On that, I could see Anivia being super OP at this, pushing poking walling farming and not losing an inch of ground. And even when attacked, she won't die the first time. Would you handle her egg as a death, or rely upon the in-game statement of death to determine it? Or just ban her?

Anivia would run out of mana super fast. so she wouldn't be op

More
14 Aug 2012 11:44 #27120 by garfi3ld

Leonresevil2 wrote: As with the official ARAM tourney, the general concept is definitely aimed for fun, as it's just not competitively balanced. The TF2 case was the simplest case I could think of for a competitive game that is designed with innate roles and counters. Another analogy would be would be to have a starcraft tournament but say you could only bring one combat unit to the midfield and first to die loses. At least there you wouldn't have a loading screen telling you what the enemy will be using, but still it's inconsistent. The main reason the early game meta fell off was because teams could work to push games late and just hold out.

I could see it being random fun bouts, but I guess that's the main issue of mine, calling it a tournament instills the ideas of LoL streams and matches either side could win. I feel this wouldn't have the same odds, but it can be fun as long as it's not taken butthurt-seriously.

I'll add I feel this could be more fun with SMITE, as it's different and a change of pace.

Hows it not an even match if both players can pick from the same pool of people?

Wes

More
14 Aug 2012 16:08 #27121 by Twodavez
It's goign to be a blind pick right? It's 1v1, so even if a counter is picked, they're going to have to play them the right way.

I wanna play some regular 3v3 or 5v5 ARAM also if anyone else is interested. I think that woudl honestly make for a more fun tourney than a 5v5 especially since they have the map designed for it (the proving grounds). It's quicker than a normal 5v5 and really pushes some players like myself who mainly focus on a few champs to be good (i say that very lightyly) with.
There is no jungle to farm, just epic battles in the middle that require death to go back and heal/buy which can be a good thing...

More
14 Aug 2012 20:14 - 14 Aug 2012 20:15 #27128 by Davey_Boy

lonewolf170 wrote: you shouldn't run draft mode. It'll be unbalanced as the played who picks second will be able to counter pick. From what I've seen it's blind pick with bans being done in chat before the match starts.
Sorry if someone mentioned that, just my 2cents

Yea I meant to change that when my friend reminded me of that but I forgot lol thx for pointing it out!

Twodavez wrote: It's goign to be a blind pick right? It's 1v1, so even if a counter is picked, they're going to have to play them the right way.

I wanna play some regular 3v3 or 5v5 ARAM also if anyone else is interested. I think that woudl honestly make for a more fun tourney than a 5v5 especially since they have the map designed for it (the proving grounds). It's quicker than a normal 5v5 and really pushes some players like myself who mainly focus on a few champs to be good (i say that very lightyly) with.
There is no jungle to farm, just epic battles in the middle that require death to go back and heal/buy which can be a good thing...

The Official Tourny is a 5v5 ARAM on proving grounds right?
Last edit: 14 Aug 2012 20:15 by Davey_Boy.

More
14 Aug 2012 20:32 #27129 by Twodavez
Yes, the official tourney is 5v5 ARAM on the proving grounds.
I'll need a few warm up games with the free champs that i don't own. I kinda wish it would just give you the champs you own instead of all that are available.. I only own ones that i i've played and at least have an idea of what i'm doing.

More
15 Aug 2012 00:33 #27141 by lonewolf170

Twodavez wrote: Yes, the official tourney is 5v5 ARAM on the proving grounds.
I'll need a few warm up games with the free champs that i don't own. I kinda wish it would just give you the champs you own instead of all that are available.. I only own ones that i i've played and at least have an idea of what i'm doing.

But not knowing what you are doing is half the fun of ARAM.

More
15 Aug 2012 00:39 #27143 by Twodavez

lonewolf170 wrote:

Twodavez wrote: Yes, the official tourney is 5v5 ARAM on the proving grounds.

But not knowing what you are doing is half the fun of ARAM.

Ha ha, then it should be random between all the champs you don't own :S

i agree, and i enjoy being able to play some of the new champs that are usually grabbed very quickly plus if you do'nt play them amazingly, you're constantly yelled at through-out the match!

More
15 Aug 2012 09:56 #27154 by Davey_Boy
You're actually lucky you only own a few that you can play well. I own all the champs cept like 4. So my chances of getting a champ I'm bad with are pretty high haha :P

More
15 Aug 2012 16:18 #27159 by Twodavez

Davey_Boy wrote: You're actually lucky you only own a few that you can play well. I own all the champs cept like 4. So my chances of getting a champ I'm bad with are pretty high haha :P

It's one thing i really ensure i do'nt do is buy too many champs, even when they are on sale. But the ARAM does give a good opportunity to get some kills, and learn the champ in a team fight atmosphere which is usually where most people (myself included) start over thinking the champs abilities and end up choking and loosing the team fight. It's all team fights which really lets the player try out several different strategies with the champ in one 30 min match...

We have 2055 guests and no members online

supportus