Tournaments... need your feedback

More
25 Jul 2012 00:54 #26424 by Arxon
I remember my first lan tourney at oc was on your pc Garfield.

How about Quake II DM for a tourney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2012 02:04 #26429 by Wooderson
I'm with Myndmelt and Ronster on this. I come to the Lan to hangout with 100 people or so who have the same interest as me. This is the main draw for me. The tournaments are not my main concern at LanOC. With that said I would like to involved in the tourneys; however most Of the games picked I lack experience in. I prefer fps tourneys and there is plenty games to chooses from COD, BFBC2, BF3, CS or CSGO if its out not to mention a few good free fps. Although these games defiantly involve skill game play. They lack learning curve that accompanies MOBAs. I personally will be playing a lot of Tribes Ascend at LAnOC v11, and would love to see a tournament of that. On another note I don't appreciate the assumption that if I'm not participating in tourneys that I'm just there for the prizes. As far as my gaming skill go I haven't racked up a bunch of hours in TF2 or LOL, but using this as a rule of thumb for gaming skill I find it laughable. I have put a ton of hours in many other games. Not trying to start a fight, but I felt those comments should be addressed.

I kill CPU's
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, Lersar, Arxon

More
25 Jul 2012 02:27 - 25 Jul 2012 02:27 #26430 by Dreyvas

Wooderson wrote: I'm with Myndmelt and Ronster on this. I come to the Lan to hangout with 100 people or so who have the same interest as me. This is the main draw for me. The tournaments are not my main concern at LanOC. With that said I would like to involved in the tourneys; however most Of the games picked I lack experience in. I prefer fps tourneys and there is plenty games to chooses from COD, BFBC2, BF3, CS or CSGO if its out not to mention a few good free fps. Although these games defiantly involve skill game play. They lack learning curve that accompanies MOBAs. I personally will be playing a lot of Tribes Ascend at LAnOC v11, and would love to see a tournament of that. On another note I don't appreciate the assumption that if I'm not participating in tourneys that I'm just there for the prizes. As far as my gaming skill go I haven't racked up a bunch of hours in TF2 or LOL, but using this as a rule of thumb for gaming skill I find it laughable. I have put a ton of hours in many other games. Not trying to start a fight, but I felt those comments should be addressed.

I'd just like to add that I do feel that there is a good mix of genres represented in the tourneys. While I am a massive FPS player as well, it's good to see both MOBA and a casual/party game thrown in for variety. None of the tournament games are especially hard to pick up and play, either.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2012 02:27 by Dreyvas.

More
25 Jul 2012 04:00 #26431 by Arxon
I think one tourney during the even should be random teams... that way people who like premades and people who don't are both happy.

More
25 Jul 2012 06:03 #26432 by jj_Sky5000

garfi3ld wrote:

jj_Sky5000 wrote: I would get a headcount on who owns which version of worms, 119 gamers and 10 people own the game ? I have played in it before but it didnt seem like there was that mnay teams other thna the regulars who play it.

This goes for just about any game we pick really. The only way I can judge this other than these posts is by looking at my steam list to see how many of my friends own the game. I currently have 47 people who own Worms Reloaded.

As with previous tournaments, I know that me and most of the staff would offer up our accounts/pc's to play this or any game if needed.

I have 27 friends that own the game, 13 maybe will be at the lan, same one that played it before

More
25 Jul 2012 06:51 #26433 by garfi3ld
how many have d3?

Wes

More
25 Jul 2012 07:43 #26434 by renegade
I would say alot more own d3 then own Worms. In the last 3 mini LAN's every person owned D3 and I dont have a single friend I game with that I know of that does not own it.

More
25 Jul 2012 16:25 #26441 by Twodavez

renegade wrote: I would say alot more own d3 then own Worms. In the last 3 mini LAN's every person owned D3 and I dont have a single friend I game with that I know of that does not own it.

\

So i'm not your friend, because i don't own D3... Just kidding, but even though i don't own D3, i would like to watch a tourney of that over worms. Although no matter which is done, we have got ot figure out a way to share screens to show the matches on the main screens. It's really fun being able to watch a championship match for a tourney. Just think of all the people that hung around to watch the end of the Mario Bros old school tourney. It's something that really bonds people together beside standing around when the raffles are happening.
It's about community, so lets help make some more community moments. :-)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
25 Jul 2012 16:31 - 25 Jul 2012 16:34 #26442 by Lersar
The argument against Worms, is it based on the fact that not many own it compared to Diablo III or that we think Diablo III would be more enjoyable?

Keep in mind this is in regards to a tournament setting. I'm sure Diablo III will get plenty of attention whether or not it is a tournament. I like the idea of organized play such as the Hardcore runs that have been discussed, and I'd be very interested in doing that even outside of the chance of winning a prize.

If it is because of the availability, perhaps we could look into a free version of Worms instead?

Also, those who have expressed that the FPS is main interest, how do you feel about Tribes?

I appreciate the honesty in everyone's input, it holds the most weight in these discussions. We're trying also to take into consideration the input we heard after the last event and those who haven't spoken in these posts.

Thanks everyone, game on.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2012 16:34 by Lersar.

More
25 Jul 2012 16:45 #26443 by Twodavez
Personally, i'm pretty terrible at worms, i just never mastered the ninja rope that makes for the most fun turns. I think it would be a fun tourney.
I'm not going to play in either, but i guess in terms of watching, i think Worms would be more fun. But in terms of who all would participate, i think you'd get more D3 players...
Why not have both? they are both pretty quick games (time limit on D3 and 1v1's for Worms)
I haven't played tribes yet, just haven't had the chance, but if it's as good as people are saying, and it's free, it would be a good option. Random teams or BYOT?

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
25 Jul 2012 17:10 #26445 by jj_Sky5000
I heard alot of good things about tribes just havnt had a chance to play !!!! and it is free to play so everybody can download it !!!

More
25 Jul 2012 17:16 #26446 by Twodavez

jj_Sky5000 wrote: I heard alot of good things about tribes just havnt had a chance to play !!!! and it is free to play so everybody can download it !!!

I'm sure we'll have some time to play it next week! :-)

More
26 Jul 2012 00:13 #26472 by Plague

Twodavez wrote: Random teams or BYOT?

that is the question of the day... what does everyone think?

More
26 Jul 2012 00:39 #26479 by Twodavez

Plague wrote:

You need to specify a game.
Tribes - Random
LoL - BYOT
Smite - Random
Worms - Isn't it going to be 1v1?
D3 - Singles again unless people wanted to double up and do random team (might add a little extra fun)

it just depends. Overall i'd always prefer random teams since LAN OC isn't the type of LAN you'd bring your Counter strike team to, wint he tourney, then pack up and go home. the more random the better to keep things fun, not just competitive. Although with winning raffle tickets, it's not "fair" to put noobs with really good people when there is that much on the line.
I liked how Nexus always did theirs with the "how many people in the LAN could you beat 1v1 in this game" 10 - 100% to help make teams even. most FPS's can be done this way, but games like LoL where you die and the other team gains alot, it's harder to accept total noobs...

More
26 Jul 2012 03:08 - 26 Jul 2012 03:11 #26502 by Davey_Boy

Twodavez wrote:

Plague wrote:

You need to specify a game.
Tribes - Random
LoL - BYOT
Smite - Random
Worms - Isn't it going to be 1v1?
D3 - Singles again unless people wanted to double up and do random team (might add a little extra fun)

it just depends. Overall i'd always prefer random teams since LAN OC isn't the type of LAN you'd bring your Counter strike team to, wint he tourney, then pack up and go home. the more random the better to keep things fun, not just competitive. Although with winning raffle tickets, it's not "fair" to put noobs with really good people when there is that much on the line.
I liked how Nexus always did theirs with the "how many people in the LAN could you beat 1v1 in this game" 10 - 100% to help make teams even. most FPS's can be done this way, but games like LoL where you die and the other team gains alot, it's harder to accept total noobs...

Pretty much this. Some games are cool with random teams...others aren't really fun unless you have your own team that you've practiced with.

Edit: BTW I think doing a last team standing on Dungeon Defenders could be fun :) Everybody makes new chars...the judge can walk around the room and check to make sure they all have new chars. Then everyone starts at the same time and see who's team lasts the longest :D
Last edit: 26 Jul 2012 03:11 by Davey_Boy.

More
26 Jul 2012 03:22 #26505 by Arxon
DD would be a fun tourney game!

More
26 Jul 2012 21:17 - 26 Jul 2012 21:19 #26526 by Plague
I want to make one point of clarity on the tournament talk that is going on.

Official we do 3 tournaments. 1 FPS, 1 RTS/other, and old school...

Currently, people seem to be ok with Tribes for the FPS(random teams).

But we have to chose the 1 RTS/other, now we had listed worms, which bought up D3. Officially we will not be doing both. If someone wants to run which even one that we don't end up pick that is awesome. Just like the other games that Twodavez' listed, the other 3 games, if someone wants to run them or I can help run them unofficially

Just felt this needed to be clarified
Last edit: 26 Jul 2012 21:19 by Plague.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
28 Jul 2012 07:47 #26597 by Ronster
what sucks is that you havent picked your tournaments yet and even though i suggested some really good fps games you just ignored them anyhow and im sure you guys are gonna pick what you want anyhow so why ask if it doesnt even get discussed. i have 2 friends waiting to see what tournaments are picked before they purchase tickets or not and there getting pissed because the money goes up soon and you still havent picked your tournaments yet, both said if you guys wait till after the 15.00 reg fee then they wont go.

More
28 Jul 2012 08:05 #26598 by garfi3ld

Plague wrote: Let your friends know to come post up their opinions. We will be looking at the feedback July 27th and posting up the tournament shortly there after.

^^^^ From the original post. We asked for feedback up until today. Your suggestions were not ignored they were included in the topic in the staff forum discussing this. We asked for feedback up until today to allow us to lock the tournaments down prior to the price going up.

The staff has tried to stay OUT of this topic as much as possible to let everyone talk about the games they wanted to play. If your suggestions weren't talked about it had nothing to do with the staff at all. Like I suggested to you in the games post as well, you should have your friends voice there feedback as well. We can only judge off what is posted up, if we were going to pick what ever we want we would have picked games long before now. The reason for the delay has been because we have only gotten feedback from around 10% of the event attendees. That is after trying to get feedback for months now.

Also remember... The tournaments are only a small portion of the event. We don't limit anyone from playing ANY game. In fact we have been trying to figure out ways to make it easier for people to communicate to help people find others to play the games they want to play.

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
28 Jul 2012 08:16 #26599 by garfi3ld
BTW everyone, we are going to go over all of the details tomorrow on the way to and at plagues lan. So we are hoping to have them posted up ASAP this weekend

Wes

More
28 Jul 2012 08:32 - 28 Jul 2012 08:33 #26600 by Dreyvas

Ronster wrote: what sucks is that you havent picked your tournaments yet and even though i suggested some really good fps games you just ignored them anyhow and im sure you guys are gonna pick what you want anyhow so why ask if it doesnt even get discussed. i have 2 friends waiting to see what tournaments are picked before they purchase tickets or not and there getting pissed because the money goes up soon and you still havent picked your tournaments yet, both said if you guys wait till after the 15.00 reg fee then they wont go.

So they're pissed off about the tournaments enough not to come to the event, but not enough to come in this thread and actually suggest some games? I don't understand at all.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2012 08:33 by Dreyvas.

More
28 Jul 2012 09:44 #26601 by Arxon
I don't see why the tournaments should sway coming or not. If you want a competition type lan then lanoc isn't the place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, Twodavez, Davey_Boy

More
03 Aug 2012 02:21 - 03 Aug 2012 02:21 #26784 by jj_Sky5000
I better get a copy !!! aidanscomputers @ gmail.com !!!!
Last edit: 03 Aug 2012 02:21 by jj_Sky5000.

More
03 Aug 2012 02:55 #26785 by Dreyvas

jj_Sky5000 wrote: I better get a copy !!! aidanscomputers @ gmail.com !!!!

Sent

We have 1827 guests and no members online

supportus