Tournaments... need your feedback

More
22 Jul 2012 02:34 - 22 Jul 2012 02:41 #26353 by Plague
Ok, so the games of interest post as been a little lite this time around, so these are the games that we are looking at...

FPS:
Super Monday Night Combat - Free to Play and we haven't done it as tournament yet.
Tribes: Ascend - Free to Play and we haven't done it as tournament yet.

RTS/Other:
Worms Reloaded - we have done it before but it is a great lan game that everyone can have fun with.

Exhibition (this would not be an actually tournament just for fun)
League of Legends
Dota2

We did considered Diablo III, but there is no easy way to make it a tournament game.

We are really looking for some feedback from everyone to see if people are interested in these for tournaments. We also would like to know with these games do you want random teams or pick you own teams???

Let your friends know to come post up their opinions. We will be looking at the feedback July 27th and posting up the tournament shortly there after.

Feedback go go go!
Last edit: 22 Jul 2012 02:41 by Plague.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2012 05:07 #26354 by Dreyvas
A+ tournament list, especially Worms Reloaded!

More
22 Jul 2012 05:43 #26355 by Twodavez
Diablo III - Level sprints in the hardest difficulty, assign everyone a player name so we know they are new characters. And highest level at the end of 45 min, wins...

IF you wanna spend your hard earned gold on items at low levels, that's up to you, it would be hard to stop it...

I don't even own the game, but think it woudl be fun to watch

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
22 Jul 2012 05:58 #26356 by jj_Sky5000
Diablo 3 leveling !!!! Just because i dont play dota2,lol or trbibes and SMNC

More
22 Jul 2012 07:07 #26357 by Dreyvas
Get on that shit! All F2P goodness. :D

More
23 Jul 2012 02:47 #26364 by renegade
Tribes

Worms

More
23 Jul 2012 02:57 #26365 by Arxon
d3 is very viable for a tourney game

More
23 Jul 2012 07:01 #26366 by Dreyvas

Arxon wrote: d3 is very viable for a tourney game

Any examples of good tournament rule sets? Not trying to be a dick, I just honestly question how this would work out.

More
23 Jul 2012 09:37 #26367 by Arxon

Dreyvas wrote:

Any examples of good tournament rule sets? Not trying to be a dick, I just honestly question how this would work out.

Your not being a dick you are a dick :lol: j/k

Hardcore only
You're randomly assigned the class.
Full clear of maps (meaning explore the whole map, not destroy every destructible item), no avoiding dungeons or events, and you have to kill every champion pack you find.
If you die you can remake a character if you feel you can catch up tot he rest.
Use the AH at your own risk. By that I mean you will be out of game which give up valuable time leveling.
At the end of the set time take a screenshot of your level and submit it.

Or a little twist. Last one alive wins.

More
23 Jul 2012 16:13 #26368 by Twodavez

Arxon wrote:

Dreyvas wrote:

Your not being a dick you are a dick :lol: j/k

Hardcore only
You're randomly assigned the class.
Full clear of maps (meaning explore the whole map, not destroy every destructible item), no avoiding dungeons or events, and you have to kill every champion pack you find.
If you die you can remake a character if you feel you can catch up tot he rest.
Use the AH at your own risk. By that I mean you will be out of game which give up valuable time leveling.
At the end of the set time take a screenshot of your level and submit it.

Or a little twist. Last one alive wins.

Why not let people choose their class, all i'd do is randomly assign a name so we know everyone is creating a new character. Hardcore mode for an hour. No othe rules, if you practice going to certian dungeons to level up quickly, that's just your advantage. Is there a way to track how much of the map's been explored to ensure people are doing it? Level/XP is something that can be measured. I'd allow for one restart (a 2nd name given to create another character, but ifyou die twice, you're done...

The best thing would be to have a master view of everone's PC so that we could record them and show them (in a delay, not that i think it would matter that much) on a main screen with commentary. Much like the LoL tourneys you see at big places and what IU does/did.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
23 Jul 2012 21:49 #26372 by Arxon
Too bad there isn't a spec mode for d3

More
23 Jul 2012 22:37 #26375 by Twodavez

Arxon wrote: Too bad there isn't a spec mode for d3

there has got to be a program out there to be able to shadow their PC's! We can do it through "Window's Messanger" here at work if all else fails...
then we'd just need someone with a big monitor to show them all on and we could focus on just one to put on the projector...
It can be done, very labor intensive, or there's got to be a program to do it already...

More
23 Jul 2012 22:49 #26376 by Dreyvas

Twodavez wrote:

there has got to be a program out there to be able to shadow their PC's! We can do it through "Window's Messanger" here at work if all else fails...
then we'd just need someone with a big monitor to show them all on and we could focus on just one to put on the projector...
It can be done, very labor intensive, or there's got to be a program to do it already...

I can't speak for anyone else, but no thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
24 Jul 2012 00:06 #26378 by Twodavez

Dreyvas wrote:

Twodavez wrote:

I can't speak for anyone else, but no thanks.

It was only presented as a simple tool that does allow it to show that there should be something more legit to use... Obviously i wouldn't suggest installing messanger at home. The less microsoft the better... Windows is just something that can't be gotten around (and i do'nt want to hear about Linux...) :-)

More
24 Jul 2012 00:19 #26379 by Dreyvas
I am not bashing Microsoft, I just personally think Diablo as a tournament is a bad idea and will be hard to implement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shroud, Myndmelt

More
24 Jul 2012 00:22 #26380 by Shroud
Any reason why LoL can't be a "real" tourny instead of a exhibition?

More
24 Jul 2012 00:41 #26382 by Twodavez

Shroud wrote: Any reason why LoL can't be a "real" tourny instead of a exhibition?

Were you there in past years? it just turns into a big complainfest (myself included) since we don't have enough pre-made teams to make it interesting to watch/participate in. I say lets just organize some games and keep random or even to make things fun. I'll buy some Bawls if you really want to win something :-)

More
24 Jul 2012 01:04 - 24 Jul 2012 01:11 #26384 by Shroud
Yes I have been there the past years, people need to get over being butt-hurt about it. You don't need a lot of teams to make a tourny, we had 4 last time and that was fine. And the first time it was chaos because we did random teams and no one knew who their team was until we got there so people didn't get to practice or mesh at all and MOBA games are team games. I would love for the tournies to be a lot more competitive, I mean that IS the point of tournaments to kick ass and take home the glory.

Edit: Using Lol as an example, I'd be good with another MOBA, too bad SMITE won't be out by then that would be ballin.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2012 01:11 by Shroud.

More
24 Jul 2012 18:01 - 24 Jul 2012 18:45 #26404 by Lersar
Please continue the current conversations, but also keep in mind the topic of random versus premade teams. Thanks to everyone who has participated so far!
Last edit: 24 Jul 2012 18:45 by Lersar.

More
24 Jul 2012 18:04 #26405 by Dreyvas
I like premade teams, seemed to work out well last time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shroud

More
24 Jul 2012 18:08 #26406 by Twodavez

Dreyvas wrote: I like premade teams, seemed to work out well last time.

That's why i'm saying, lets just do our own little mini-tourney as with pre-made teams. To me, it feels like we're leaving people that come by themselves out of the tourney since they might not have 4 friends coming to put together a pre-made, and we all know how pug teams can get, especially if you pick up a noob who thinks the game would be a fun idea.

I just remember the frustration with someone like that on my team who just didn't care, but signed up just to participate and didn't keep it serious through the tourney...

More
24 Jul 2012 18:21 #26407 by Dreyvas

Twodavez wrote:

Dreyvas wrote: I like premade teams, seemed to work out well last time.

That's why i'm saying, lets just do our own little mini-tourney as with pre-made teams. To me, it feels like we're leaving people that come by themselves out of the tourney since they might not have 4 friends coming to put together a pre-made, and we all know how pug teams can get, especially if you pick up a noob who thinks the game would be a fun idea.

I just remember the frustration with someone like that on my team who just didn't care, but signed up just to participate and didn't keep it serious through the tourney...

You're right, PUGs typically suck. So basically it's either a few people get screwed in PUGs or everyone effectively does (with random teams). Take your pick, I guess.

More
24 Jul 2012 19:10 #26410 by garfi3ld
A worms tournament for example might not be effected to much by random teams. I have always found it to be fun nomatter what

Wes

More
24 Jul 2012 19:20 #26411 by Dreyvas

garfi3ld wrote: A worms tournament for example might not be effected to much by random teams. I have always found it to be fun nomatter what

I think the last time we had a Worms tourney it was just 1v1 rather than teams, IIRC. But yeah, a blast either way.

More
24 Jul 2012 20:13 - 24 Jul 2012 20:13 #26414 by jj_Sky5000
I would get a headcount on who owns which version of worms, 119 gamers and 10 people own the game ? I have played in it before but it didnt seem like there was that mnay teams other thna the regulars who play it.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2012 20:13 by jj_Sky5000.

More
24 Jul 2012 22:02 #26416 by Twodavez
So of the 57 who have already paid, i see only about 10 putting in their thoughts on the tourneys and games to be played. Would it be safe to assume everyone is is just coming for the prizes and they plan on playing WoW all day?

Come-on guys/gals, without your imput, you're not allowed to complain or not-participate in the tourneys. It's a LAN party to play with people in the room and show off your skills. What skills you got to show off? B)

The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld

More
24 Jul 2012 22:06 #26418 by Myndmelt
I don't ever enter the tourneys. I am just there to have fun and play some games, and meet up with the people that are fun to be around. I like to play a variety of games, not just the same one. Not everyone is there to be competitive. I mean I will be the first to admit, I spend countless dollars on video games and built a computer setup just for gaming. I also own an xbox 360, ps3 and wii and... I suck at video games. It's true. So really the tourneys don't entice me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld, Arxon

More
24 Jul 2012 22:24 #26420 by jj_Sky5000

Myndmelt wrote: I don't ever enter the tourneys. I am just there to have fun and play some games, and meet up with the people that are fun to be around. I like to play a variety of games, not just the same one. Not everyone is there to be competitive. I mean I will be the first to admit, I spend countless dollars on video games and built a computer setup just for gaming. I also own an xbox 360, ps3 and wii and... I suck at video games. It's true. So really the tourneys don't entice me.

Nothing worng with that either!!!!!

More
24 Jul 2012 23:03 - 24 Jul 2012 23:08 #26421 by Ronster
normally the games you guys pick to play as tournaments dont interest me neither but that doesnt stop me from going cause i enjoy the environment that is around me. i'm an fps guy myself and would love to see cod1 base assault as a tournament. sniper elite just came out as well and think a sniper game would be cool as well. i dont do cartoon fps though just dont look fun to me at all so any fps game is cool with me as long as its a good game. some good old fps games would be soldier of fortune, delta force, call of duty, medal of honor, counter strike, and im sure there are more that im missing. i know twl probably has mods out there for keeping track of scores and stuff for these games as well if i remember.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2012 23:08 by Ronster.

More
25 Jul 2012 00:03 #26422 by garfi3ld

jj_Sky5000 wrote: I would get a headcount on who owns which version of worms, 119 gamers and 10 people own the game ? I have played in it before but it didnt seem like there was that mnay teams other thna the regulars who play it.

This goes for just about any game we pick really. The only way I can judge this other than these posts is by looking at my steam list to see how many of my friends own the game. I currently have 47 people who own Worms Reloaded.

As with previous tournaments, I know that me and most of the staff would offer up our accounts/pc's to play this or any game if needed.

Wes

We have 1885 guests and no members online

supportus