What way would work best for you at our LAN's

More
15 Jul 2012 13:04 #26161 by garfi3ld
I've been putting a lot of thought into things I would like to see improve at our LAN's. One issue is trying to get people into one specific game as well as just being able to communicate to everyone what you want to play.

We have tried a few different things in the past, but none seem to really do the job. So I am open to ideas from everyone to see if we can come up with a way that will work.

In the past we have tried the following and more..
-Gaming hours where we have a schedule of games that we plan on playing.
-vent/mummble ect to communicate about games you are looking to play
-announcing over the mic
-ALP shoutbox
-ALP trying to find a game of ***** list
-ALP game server listing
-steam chat
-other at lan text chatting programs

Post up your ideas.

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2012 19:54 #26169 by Arxon
I have noticed at lans it is hard to get people to play one game. No matter the size. Someone will have a problem or doesn't like the game or people are playing other games online like LoL MW3 so it makes it hard. I play anygame that has the most people for the most fun. If there was a lan program out there everyone could run that announces games that are starting on their pc in a big window is really the only way i see it working.

More
15 Jul 2012 20:19 #26171 by Dreyvas
My suggestion would be using borgchat/IRC and combining it with giveaways or special announcements that will only be made through it, so that people actually pay attention. If people were actually watching it, it'd be a great way to get games going.

This could also be done with a special Steam group and idling Steam group chat. This may actually work out better, since everyone would already have it installed and announcements can be broadcast for game sessions that are starting.

More
16 Jul 2012 01:03 #26175 by Myndmelt
Maybe its just me but it seems like 80% of the time people are there playing LOL, the whole time. You cant really escape that as a number of years ago it would be people there just to play CS the whole time. I do like the idea of a chat server like irc. But I think it needs to be embedded on the ALP. Hardly anyone was using the mumble server unless they were on a tournament team. And then there were times where I was even on a team in a tournament and only one other person was on a mic talking. This is after the mumble server was there and there voice chat IN GAME.

Basically it just seems like if its not already done for people or isn't right there they wont do it. Like install mumble and actually set it up and open it. I realize some may not have a mic so mumble doesn't work for them.

I have felt its hard to connect with other Gamers at the lan, unless its 1 on 1.

As far as on the Mic announcements, its nearly impossible to hear them if you are on the other side of the room. OR if you have your headset on and the mic starts going off, you have to stop and whip off that headset and ask what was said at first. I think the PA ia great and effective if you are in a close range, but maybe it needs a couple other speakers daisy chained to cover more room, and maybe a tweak in the EQ.

I wish I had better suggestions but I would see if possible to embed an IRC style chat on a page on the ALP.

More
16 Jul 2012 02:22 #26177 by Dreyvas

Myndmelt wrote: Maybe its just me but it seems like 80% of the time people are there playing LOL, the whole time. You cant really escape that as a number of years ago it would be people there just to play CS the whole time. I do like the idea of a chat server like irc. But I think it needs to be embedded on the ALP. Hardly anyone was using the mumble server unless they were on a tournament team. And then there were times where I was even on a team in a tournament and only one other person was on a mic talking. This is after the mumble server was there and there voice chat IN GAME.

Basically it just seems like if its not already done for people or isn't right there they wont do it. Like install mumble and actually set it up and open it. I realize some may not have a mic so mumble doesn't work for them.

I have felt its hard to connect with other Gamers at the lan, unless its 1 on 1.

As far as on the Mic announcements, its nearly impossible to hear them if you are on the other side of the room. OR if you have your headset on and the mic starts going off, you have to stop and whip off that headset and ask what was said at first. I think the PA ia great and effective if you are in a close range, but maybe it needs a couple other speakers daisy chained to cover more room, and maybe a tweak in the EQ.

I wish I had better suggestions but I would see if possible to embed an IRC style chat on a page on the ALP.

I personally like this idea, but the main problem with the ALP is that people just don't look at it. The advantage with Steam is that everyone will already have it installed and you can send group broadcast messages that have to be dismissed, that way things aren't easily missed. If Steam were paired with exclusive contests/giveaways/announcements in the group chat room, I think it could be a really effective tool for communication and game organization.

More
16 Jul 2012 02:57 #26178 by garfi3ld
we actually tried to use steam at the last event, how many of you guys used it :-P

I was considering the idea of a VERY large dry erase board setup somewhere that everyone could write on

Wes

More
16 Jul 2012 03:03 #26179 by Dreyvas

garfi3ld wrote: we actually tried to use steam at the last event, how many of you guys used it :-P

I was considering the idea of a VERY large dry erase board setup somewhere that everyone could write on

Nobody used it, hence my suggestion of pairing it with announcements/giveaways to address that. The dry erase board sounds good in theory, but if people won't bother to click on the ALP (or steam group chat), will they bother to walk across the room to check out a board? :(

More
16 Jul 2012 03:08 #26180 by garfi3ld
I agree, I'm just wondering if it will be more in everyones face.

Wes

More
16 Jul 2012 03:12 #26181 by Lersar
I wonder if we could use something like this . Not even necessarily for every participant but staff could use it as a way to find servers being hosted at the LAN and announce/post.

More
16 Jul 2012 03:23 #26182 by garfi3ld
a great idea but looks to be out of date and unsupported now.

Another idea I was considering was people could let a member of the staff know and maintain a games being played list on the projector

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
16 Jul 2012 04:28 #26183 by Twodavez
I'm one of those who play LOL a lot of the time, which seems like it's a bad thing, but in my defense, i do play with everyone else at the LAN, so it's still a LAN game... I like the idea of yelling out what game is being played. the schedule is nice, but usually isn't followed... It's hard to schedule lots of fun!
I like the whiteboard idea on the projector to keep track of what people are playing. It used to work at Nexus pretty good. I think the larger we get, the harder it is to keep everyone in the same thing. But i've learned through hosting some parties at my house that the harder you try to make people happy, the more unhappy they can get sometimes. I always have a GREAT time playing all the games i want to play when i want to play them. I'd be afraid of it getting to structured...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
16 Jul 2012 04:31 #26184 by garfi3ld
No worries about it getting to structured at all, that isn't the point of this at all. We are just looking for ideas that will allow you guys to be able to let each other know what you are playing. If you came to the lan by yourself without knowing anyone, what method would work for you the best for you to be able to find games to play in.

Wes

More
16 Jul 2012 05:24 #26186 by Lersar

garfi3ld wrote: a great idea but looks to be out of date and unsupported now.

Another idea I was considering was people could let a member of the staff know and maintain a games being played list on the projector

When I get the chance, I'll spend some time researching alternatives. I think you overlooked the idea. If the argument is that to create a list to display, I think something along those lines, not necessarily that software, is the one of the more viable options. In one hand they won't approach a whiteboard but in the other they will come to us with server information to read off?

More
16 Jul 2012 05:38 #26187 by garfi3ld
I'm not overlooking the idea I think its a good one actually. If there were to be something that covered more up to date games. But I do think that its going to be limited due to some games like dota2, lol, hon, bf3, ect all running servers online and not on the server.

I'm really not sure what is going to work best. The ALP itself has the open game requests, server listings, and shoutbox that all could work for this in theory.

As for contacting staff, i have had people contact by walking up and also through steam for us to announce over the mic in the past. I just don't think its the best way to communicate things to people because its only said once and most of the room may be in game.

Maybe combining a software solution like what you are talking about along with the ALP and then posting it up on the projector along with the schedule would be the best solution?

If we could get people to use the ALP more as a whole I don't think this would be an issue at all really. All of the tools are there, but we know from past events that they don't get used as much

Wes

More
16 Jul 2012 06:01 #26188 by Lersar
Can we create a private Steam group and add only the the registered users to it? Some sort of plug in that tied in with that group and what was being played would be icing.

I know we tried to get a group going the day off, we could start earlier and make sure we get everyone in.

More
16 Jul 2012 06:12 - 16 Jul 2012 06:13 #26189 by Myndmelt
Just play this constantly and everyone will magically have an amazing time.

Last edit: 16 Jul 2012 06:13 by Myndmelt.

More
16 Jul 2012 06:23 #26190 by garfi3ld

Lersar wrote: Can we create a private Steam group and add only the the registered users to it? Some sort of plug in that tied in with that group and what was being played would be icing.

I know we tried to get a group going the day off, we could start earlier and make sure we get everyone in.

yeah we can reuse the group that we started before, it didn't work for schedule notifications like we had hoped but we can put it to use for other things.

Wes

More
16 Jul 2012 06:40 #26192 by Myndmelt
We all know that steam rules the Lan Parties. Could someone that is infinitely more talented than I am look at this steam API stuff. Maybe we can use this to create a custom live page that refreshes every 20-30 seconds that would show who is in what games. This would give people a better idea of what to play. We would only add the steam names of people that are at the lan. And on the same page you could have the irc chat below all the info in case people want to change games.

I know if your looking at the steam group or whatever it shows that people are playing a game but maybe there is a better more organized way to see this data.

gameid
If the user is currently in-game, this value will be returned and set to the gameid of that game.

developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_W...ity_pages_parameters

Just a thought.

More
16 Jul 2012 16:05 #26196 by Twodavez
And if everyone makes sure to link any non-steam games to their steam account, we could be able to see what everyone is playing, or if people are just watching movies and not playing anything. I like the idea as i use the friends list in Steam to see what everyone is playing anyway!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Myndmelt

More
18 Jul 2012 21:11 #26267 by Sideout
If you guys are using PFSense for your main router one option would be to do this:

1. Turn on captive portal in PFSense for internet access. Kinda like in a hotel where you have to put in a username and password.
2. Set the default page that opens after they authenicate to be your ALP server page. This way at least you know they are having to look at it at least once.
3. You can set the portal timeout to be whatever you want so you could do it where every x hours it times out and they have to re-authenicate and see the ALP page again.

If that is too controlling then you could re-direct with PFSense any port 80 / 443 request initally to go to the ALP page as well.

It is tough to get everyone playing the same game at once unless there is a big enough motive or incentive for that to happen.

I always loved the ALP server and its functionality. It is too bad that more people do not use it.

Having the PA setup the right way so it covers the whole room is honestly about your best bet for getting the message out to everyone at the same time. Looking at your room size , I would say all you would need is some powered 12" or 15" speakers , say about 4 of them like a JBL EON 15 or the Mackie's , along with 6 75 to 100ft mic cables , and then your mixer and mic and you should be good to go.

I am the LAN!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rhythmatic

More
19 Jul 2012 05:40 #26277 by evildoer

Myndmelt wrote: We all know that steam rules the Lan Parties. Could someone that is infinitely more talented than I am look at this steam API stuff. Maybe we can use this to create a custom live page that refreshes every 20-30 seconds that would show who is in what games. This would give people a better idea of what to play. We would only add the steam names of people that are at the lan. And on the same page you could have the irc chat below all the info in case people want to change games.

I know if your looking at the steam group or whatever it shows that people are playing a game but maybe there is a better more organized way to see this data.

gameid
If the user is currently in-game, this value will be returned and set to the gameid of that game.

developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_W...ity_pages_parameters

Just a thought.

This isn't a bad idea, but you don't need to use an API.

steamcommunity.com/groups/LanOCLAN/members

Even better.. and way easier.. XML parsing!

steamcommunity.com/groups/LanOCLAN/memberslistxml/?xml=1

Use that to grab the ID #'s of each member and parse each members XML individually.. you get information such as this listed in the individual group members xml..
-<inGameInfo> -<gameName>
<![CDATA[Audiosurf]]>
</gameName> -<gameLink>
<![CDATA[http://store.steampowered.com//app/12900]]>
</gameLink> -<gameIcon>
<![CDATA[http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/12900/ae6d0ac6d1dd5b23b961d9f32ea5a6c8d0305cf4.jpg]]>
</gameIcon> -<gameLogo>
<![CDATA[http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/12900/75dc0398efeae1cc994714e37c893b593f9c9a88.jpg]]>
</gameLogo> -<gameLogoSmall>
<![CDATA[http://media.steampowered.com/steamcommunity/public/images/apps/12900/75dc0398efeae1cc994714e37c893b593f9c9a88_thumb.jpg]]>
</gameLogoSmall>

I just wrote a console based XML parser for work last week.. 3D Mark 11 pro exports as XML only.. I wrote a VB.net app with cmd line switches to take that data and make a nice looking HTML output.

I don't think this would be very difficult
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, Rhythmatic

More
19 Jul 2012 05:58 - 19 Jul 2012 06:00 #26281 by Rhythmatic
You could take the suggestions people have made in the Games of Interest thread, decide on what games you'll have tournaments in, and then all of the rest could be put up on the projector with a vote system. Have the full list available so people can be sure they have the game.

For example, every few hours a game is voted on from a list of 3-5 random games. Once the game is played, take it out of rotation for the next round. The thing is, it's merely a suggestion system and is really only there to grab people's attention with a "hivemind" idea. The more people that are aware of what's going on, the more likely they are to change up what they're doing. It's like in MW3, there are some people who simply refuse to play EITHER of the maps up for vote, so they leave. You'll have people who will want to play one specific game regardless of whatever voting is going on, which is fine.

I think a combo of projector+PA system+something posted to the LANOC steam group (where it gives those little popups) would be most effective. My biggest gripe when I go to LANs is that I am just sitting around not playing anything because it's tough to get any attention all by my lonesome.

Also, and this is probably a silly suggestion, but on the nametag LANyards (huhu) you could have that person's personal affinity for gametypes, so it's easier to suggest playing something to someone. Rhythmatic[FPS], or Enternamehere{FPS/RTS], or even just having their 2 favorite games on them as a fallback when they can't find anything else to do. Or instead of on the nametags, you could have little notecards that sit atop people's PCs so they're visible from afar. It would help some of the socially awkward penguins walk up and ask if someone who's got a DOTA/SC2/LoL sign up to start a game.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2012 06:00 by Rhythmatic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twodavez, mc_disease

More
19 Jul 2012 06:06 #26285 by Dreyvas

Rhythmatic wrote: You could take the suggestions people have made in the Games of Interest thread, decide on what games you'll have tournaments in, and then all of the rest could be put up on the projector with a vote system. Have the full list available so people can be sure they have the game.

For example, every few hours a game is voted on from a list of 3-5 random games. Once the game is played, take it out of rotation for the next round. The thing is, it's merely a suggestion system and is really only there to grab people's attention with a "hivemind" idea. The more people that are aware of what's going on, the more likely they are to change up what they're doing. It's like in MW3, there are some people who simply refuse to play EITHER of the maps up for vote, so they leave. You'll have people who will want to play one specific game regardless of whatever voting is going on, which is fine.

I think a combo of projector+PA system+something posted to the LANOC steam group (where it gives those little popups) would be most effective. My biggest gripe when I go to LANs is that I am just sitting around not playing anything because it's tough to get any attention all by my lonesome.

Also, and this is probably a silly suggestion, but on the nametag LANyards (huhu) you could have that person's personal affinity for gametypes, so it's easier to suggest playing something to someone. Rhythmatic[FPS], or Enternamehere{FPS/RTS], or even just having their 2 favorite games on them as a fallback when they can't find anything else to do. Or instead of on the nametags, you could have little notecards that sit atop people's PCs so they're visible from afar. It would help some of the socially awkward penguins walk up and ask if someone who's got a DOTA/SC2/LoL sign up to start a game.

I like the preferred genre/games idea. Good stuff.

More
26 Jul 2012 00:50 #26485 by Twodavez
I was going to quote the post by Rhythmatic, but it's really big and for the sake of space, just refer back to it.

First of all: Great idea Rythmatic!

We have a radio station here called "click Hop.com" Basically you go to the website and click up the song you wanna hear next on the radio... So why not do this with the games. Put all of the ones in the list and let everyone vote once every half an hour. Whatever is at the top of the list when we're ready to play something different, we'll try to get going, or ensure a server is up for it.
also this voting would show everyone who voted for it, so you'd be able to HUNT down those people to play since they voted for it. I hate it when people talk about playing something, you find another 5 people to play it and you go back to them and they changed their mind...

More
26 Jul 2012 20:13 #26521 by Dreyvas
www.reddit.com/r/lanparty/comments/scyzq...play_the_same_games/

There are some good ideas here. Somewhat similar to Rhythmatic's idea:

"We do a "game of the hour contest". We pick a game and designate this game to be the game of the hour. During that hour, we'll walk around the LAN a bit and pic 3 people at random who are playing that game and give them a prize. Usually something small, a mouse or something."

More
26 Jul 2012 20:28 #26522 by Twodavez

Dreyvas wrote: www.reddit.com/r/lanparty/comments/scyzq...play_the_same_games/

There are some good ideas here. Somewhat similar to Rhythmatic's idea:

"We do a "game of the hour contest". We pick a game and designate this game to be the game of the hour. During that hour, we'll walk around the LAN a bit and pic 3 people at random who are playing that game and give them a prize. Usually something small, a mouse or something."

I like how you think a $60-$80 Mouse is a small item. I'd even be happy to get a Bawls or credit for 2 pops out of the fridge. If you're doing this once an hour, that's alot of gifts...
An hour doesn't seem like alot of time. why not just say, at 10 pm we're going to start some TF2 servers, ifyou're playing we'll put you into a raffle. I know i'm going to play somoe LoL, but i'm not sure that would be a good game of the hour mainly because not everyone likes it. Why not have FPS time or MOAB time and let people pick the game of their choice, so long as they are playing with others at the LAN that type of game or on the provided game servers. I'm not really sure how many games you'd be able to get over 100 people into at the same time. Even TF2 has a limit, but if you had several different map types up, everyone could play what they like :-)
I like the ideas!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sideout

More
26 Jul 2012 20:32 #26523 by Sideout
The one thing I notice is that most peoplein that post on reddit are in favor of blocking the MMO ports so people won't be on WoW / Rift / insert other MMO here.

I know that is probably not an option for you guys but it does carry some merit of making sure people are getting involved in the LAN party and just not sitting there zoning out on MMO's.

Definately if you have free games that you can have people play that are even available on the LAN , that makes it easier too.

I am the LAN!!!!

More
26 Jul 2012 20:38 #26524 by Dreyvas

Twodavez wrote: I like how you think a $60-$80 Mouse is a small item. I'd even be happy to get a Bawls or credit for 2 pops out of the fridge. If you're doing this once an hour, that's alot of gifts...

That was a copypasta comment from Reddit, not me. Believe it or not, not every event lasts 24+ hours. Regardless, yes, smaller items would be fine as well. Anything that gets people playing the same game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sideout

More
26 Jul 2012 22:06 #26528 by Twodavez

Dreyvas wrote:

Twodavez wrote: I like how you think a $60-$80 Mouse is a small item. I'd even be happy to get a Bawls or credit for 2 pops out of the fridge. If you're doing this once an hour, that's alot of gifts...

That was a copypasta comment from Reddit, not me. Believe it or not, not every event lasts 24+ hours. Regardless, yes, smaller items would be fine as well. Anything that gets people playing the same game.

Sorry about the misquote.

I do like the idea of blocking some ports. Although unless there is an internet issue (Slowness) the more you restrict, the less fun i could see it being. sometimes people have scheduled Raids that they need to run for their guild that they do for an hour or two and then they're back to LAN play.

It all comes back to why we're there. Are we there to play LAN Games (Most aren't actually LAN based anymore), See friends, Win prizes, Leech Internet/Games/movies...
If we want to make it Just LAN Play, then limit the LAN to 32 people and lets have a LAN party, otherwise everyone is going to come for their own reasons, and i don't see the need to FORCE people to play something, but giving incentives to make it more rewarding than actually just playing the game, i could see doing...

More
26 Jul 2012 22:41 #26530 by Lersar

Twodavez wrote: otherwise everyone is going to come for their own reasons, and i don't see the need to FORCE people to play something, but giving incentives to make it more rewarding than actually just playing the game, i could see doing...

I feel like this is the main point for me. Personally I don't agree with the idea of blocking ports to block games (outside of functional issues). Like Dave said, everyone comes for their own reason, whether they enjoy doing raids among like-minded people or are just looking for something to do in down time between games they are interested in.

At the same time I think people should keep an open mind and give other games at the LAN a shot, positive reinforcement will go a lot further than negative.

We have 1657 guests and no members online

supportus