v9.0 Tournament Rules: League of Legends

More
12 Aug 2011 21:49 #18110 by Lersar

Nacelle wrote: And really there's no reason a person wanting to play in a tournament such as this should come into it level one. The game's free and there's 2 weeks left to practice. Now that I think about it, there should be a minimum level to play, even if it's something like 3. This is a game that has a lot of mechanics to it, and this isn't casual play time. A person who doesn't feel the need to practice at least that much shouldn't be allowed to drag the rest of their team down in a tournament.

That's an excellent point. We'll be discussing a min level within staff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2011 01:26 #18120 by Davey_Boy
Well, I guess it's about time I said something on this thread since I'm the one that's always trying to promote this game :P

I'm a fan of the 5v5 just because in a 3v3 if you've been playing long enough you know what champs cannot be stopped and can literally 1v3 the game.

I'd agree on the lvl limit just because this game isn't an FPS where just about anyone can pick it up and shoot ppl. This game requires "game-time" to understand it. I'd be more for the min lvl of like 10 just because it doesn't take THAT long to get to 10 and by the time you get to 10 you have enough IP to buy a decent amount of champs.

As far as teams go...whatever lol there's really no way to get around this lol it's either arranged or "random" even if you pair even lvls all across the board. :P

Now, idk if you guys have addressed this or not but I'm assuming no runes and masteries? Because I've noticed that sometimes I have a harder time playing at my full potential when I don't have my correct runes and masteries and it'll keep it at a semi-even playing field.

Now, I just had a thought on the teams. You could list the summoners in lvl categories. like 5-9 10-19 20-29 and 30s? Then have the team cpt's pick a member from each lvl category? That way each team has a semi-even lvl and yet the cpt's can still "pick" their team? idk just a thought.

Whew! I think this is the most I've ever written in this forum EVER!! hahaha

Looking forward to this and if you need anymore help just ask B)

More
13 Aug 2011 07:01 #18128 by Leonresevil2
Min level sounds good, 10 is reasonable. No runes/masteries would help balance this out. I definitely was thinking about how not everyone will have every champ, or even most. There's not much that can be done about that. Things should be good, nonetheless.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
13 Aug 2011 12:54 - 13 Aug 2011 12:55 #18137 by Arxon
Making level requirements will take the fun out of the lan. That would be like saying "Hey. Lets have a CoD tourney but everyone has to be 3 prestige in." It won't work. Just let people play to have fun. If you have a bad team so what. The main reason I really look forward to these lans is you don't have to be good to win something. By making people play a game before a tourney is taking away from that.

I remember one time playing in a CS:S tourney and taking 3rd or second can't remember with Big Ed. We did not like cs and we still don't but we played to have fun.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2011 12:55 by Arxon.

More
13 Aug 2011 14:17 - 13 Aug 2011 14:25 #18140 by Lersar

Arxon wrote: Making level requirements will take the fun out of the lan. That would be like saying "Hey. Lets have a CoD tourney but everyone has to be 3 prestige in." It won't work.

I don't think that's quite the same thing at all. Requiring that a person is a level two or three summoner isn't anywhere near prestiging even once. And as mentioned in a previous post specifically, FPS and MOBA genres are extremely different. The requirement wouldn't be to say that everyone has to be pro at it, it would just be sure that people who are interested in competing at least have played a match or two and know the basics.

Either way, I think it may be a moot point. Majority rule seems to be against doing it.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2011 14:25 by Lersar.

More
13 Aug 2011 16:43 #18143 by Nacelle
By having a level requirement, we're verifying that everyone has at least a basic understanding of how "this" game works. And how fun would it be for someone who is trying to figure out a game to keep getting killed over and over and over. Because once the other team figures out who's the noob, they are going to kill that person first because they know free xp and gold is just standing there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
13 Aug 2011 22:02 #18149 by Shroud
Total noobs kill the game for people who do know how to play, I for one do not want to have to be both playing my character and telling teamates how to play at the same time. Lol is not a "pick up and play game" it has a decent learning curve and it's a tournement, so yes you should know how to play. If you have such an issue with it then don't play, but don't kill it for us who do care about winning and who play the game. I would say no less then lvl 5, and as for majority rule, I say who cares? Do the smart thing! Also... muffins rock!

More
14 Aug 2011 01:28 #18157 by Wingless92
Who would of thought that this is the game that would be discussed the most?

Nice to see everyone jumping in on the conversation. That is why we started the thread. We need feedback, good or bad.

Just remember though, it is a game, not your life. If you loose the tournament you can still go home and wake up the next day.

I have been to a bunch of LAN's and have never won a tournament, even with Shocka oh our team!

I play LoL but like most games I suck at it, because I don't put the time in.

Keep the discussion going though, any feedback is better than none!

More
14 Aug 2011 05:29 #18167 by Twodavez
My turn.

I really agree with the min level requirement, i think 3 would be enough to prove the person has at least suffered through a few rounds and if you wanna play it at the tourney, then you can get to level 3 between now and then, level 10 is pretty high, i've been playing alot, loosing most of the time, but i'm still only level 16...

I see both sides to the random/bring your team options. I enjoyed playing some COD at NeXus LAN even though i'm a complete noob, but the thing is, if i die the whole time, the other team doesn't get HUGE buffs and better gear, the rest of my team just has to make up for my slack. This type of game doesn't allow that and one bad, i mean really bad, person can feed even a team of noobs and give them the win against seasoned players.

I like that LAN OC doesn't do the "bring your own team" approach because it would attract nothing but LoL gamers who would end up leaving after the tourney. I've heard many a story from JJ about some of the larger LANs where half the LAN leaves after the Counter Strike Tourney. I know we'll be playing this game more than the tournements, so that would be the time to get your "bring your own team" game on! In fact, i'd like to see the staff put together a listing or simple sign-up sheet so that people could do this type of thing either before or after the tourney. I know i could put together a team.

One final thing, will there be dedicated Vent channels for the tourneys? LoL unlike HoN doesn't have Voice chat, and playing with "newer" people, being able to talk to them and explain why it's hard to stay back will be vital. I usually Hop on vent anyway, just wondering.

And that's it.
Next! ;)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
14 Aug 2011 10:34 - 14 Aug 2011 10:39 #18181 by Shroud

Twodavez wrote: I like that LAN OC doesn't do the "bring your own team" approach because it would attract nothing but LoL gamers who would end up leaving after the tourney.

Wasn't the Lan pretty much sold out before this was even up?

I still think bring your own team works best, bring who you can then have those who don't have a team join you to fill the open spots and make new teams. Lol is very tricky to plan for because one really bad noob can kill a team and get you rolled. The split by level random teams are as good as random teams are gonna get. Also when putting out the rules you may want a small area saying that people must play on their highest lvl account. That way we don't have a person with a lvl 30 account sign up with their lvl 15 smerf. ;P

Edit* Also on the sign up maybe you could do a spot where you could request a certain person on your team (for friends or whatever) and if at all possible meet those requests but it would not be a sure thing. Cause I forsee at least 2 lvl 30(ish) people per team.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2011 10:39 by Shroud.

More
14 Aug 2011 11:03 #18182 by s_mason16
Sorry I read pages 1 and 2 but then the whole TL;DR over took me. So I'm just going to randomly throw in my preferences and some questions.

-Why random teams?

-should be 5s.

-there should NOT be any extra reward that is hidden. If an announcement email was sent and said hey be active on the forums and you might benefit. thats one thing.

-I really like Nacelle's thinking about the keep games non-public but I do understand how hard that would be.

-no level requirement

Ill come up with more, but really just want to know why it's random teams.

More
14 Aug 2011 15:17 #18187 by garfi3ld
I know everyone is concerned about having new players on their teams. If every single team has an even distribution of skilled players and new players would it help.

Also would it helped if we rearranged the schedule and gave you a 4 to 5 hour window to practice as a team after teams have been set?

Mason we are doing random teams because in past tournaments we have had trouble getting people involved at all because there are normally a few teams that dominate. The only people who enjoy something like that are the winners. Because of that most of our team based tournaments have been random for the last few years.

Wes

More
14 Aug 2011 21:20 #18203 by Leonresevil2
Level requirement should be 5 MINIMUM, Lersar can confirm, I got him to lvl 5 in just a couple games. Leveling is faster now, and low levels get decent XP for practices.
This isn't a game you can just jump in, and it's very team focused. It's like if TF2 had a mod where every kill increased your max health or damage per shot. The goal is not the most kills, but 'feeding' the enemy team by not understanding how fast you can die will make it much harder for everyone else.
And the 'extra reward' thing was an overall Lan thing, to try and convince people to be on the forums occasionally.

The only reason I could see having no level req is if EVERYONE made new accounts so we would all be on equal footing. But it's much easier to have everyone use a clear rune/mastery page on existing accounts. Otherwise, we'd all be using the free champs. And thus, a lvl 5 player should be able to figure out what champs work for them, and maybe have one unlocked.

If no one wants level requirements, just make this HoN, same rules.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
14 Aug 2011 21:37 #18207 by garfi3ld
If it only takes a few games to get to the levels that would make everyone happy. Why wouldn't the 4 to 5 hour window I would be able to give you to practice as a team be a nice compromise?

I think everyone understands how detrimental it can be to have a new player feeding the other team. But if new and experienced players are evenly distributed it shouldn't give any of the teams an advantage or disadvantage.

Wes

More
14 Aug 2011 23:58 #18212 by Nacelle
Let JJ give free lessons on how to be a skilled feeder. :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
15 Aug 2011 00:28 #18213 by Arxon
With the most recent LoL patch the gold for killing a total noob was dropped a lot. I mean after 5 deaths in a row with no kill it dropped the gold down to as much as you would get from a creep. But If we can do what Garfield said it would be awesome!

As for level 3-5 for the tourney i can agree but the level 10 mark is just too much to ask for. Not everyone has the time to play to achieve that in a short time. I know a lot of people have school coming up, family, and work they have to deal with.

But all in all i think we are getting the tourney within agreement of 90% of the players.

More
15 Aug 2011 04:16 #18218 by Leonresevil2
Another thing: summoner spells. Obviously you need levels to unlock some. So, will the tourney be limited to those unlocked by lvl 5, lvl 1, or free use? I don't think we've gotten clear word on runes, masteries, and these spells. Really, I'd kinda be in favor of not having Flash allowed at least.
Cool to see feeding on noobs isn't so rewarding now. Actually, minions use to be able to get killing streaks. :D THAT'S feeding on noobs.
I realize now that this is a complex game with many aspects to consider. I figured everyone interested had some time in, but I realize I put in a lot of time of practice, and I've been in this game for a long time. Lvl 10 is a bit much perhaps, but it would be GREAT to get an idea of how many people are interested.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
15 Aug 2011 04:25 #18220 by Nacelle
I can understand limiting runes and masteries, but limiting spell is a little heavy handed. Everyone gets 2, even the noobs. It's not everyone else's fault that they can't choose from them all. They can't choose any champion they want either. I also don't use Flash, but I can't see taking it out either. If it was so OP then the devs would do something about it. It's part of the game.

More
15 Aug 2011 05:11 #18221 by Twodavez
I don't see how you're going to police rune books and skill points. That's part of the game. If you've played alot, you get nicer ones, nothing wrong with that. This being said i have very terrible runes, so i say if you've invested time and played and gotten better, that's a benifit you should be able to use. It's like going around and saying, well your mouse has a shortcut key on it allowing you to use an item faster. BANNED! You just can't do it, not everyone has the same PC's, Monitors, mice...

Anyway, is anyone keeping track of what the tournament is at now:
a. 5v5 or 3v3
b. Random by: Level, Complete randomness, Unbiased staff member will put them together
c. Level requirement? what's the min level?
d. Rune/Spell Points usage
e. Pancake Breakfast (oh wait wrong topic B)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
15 Aug 2011 05:16 #18222 by garfi3ld
when was anything about runes or spells mentioned?

As of right now nothing has changed from what is listed..

Wes

More
15 Aug 2011 05:27 #18223 by Twodavez

starkiller wrote: Now, idk if you guys have addressed this or not but I'm assuming no runes and masteries? Because I've noticed that sometimes I have a harder time playing at my full potential when I don't have my correct runes and masteries and it'll keep it at a semi-even playing field.

This was mentioned and talked about a few other times with people assuming they would have to clear their rune sheet and masteries...

They were never addressed in the official posting of the tourney, so i think it's assumed that if you bring them, you can play with them.

More
15 Aug 2011 05:38 #18224 by garfi3ld
lol remember the only thing that is official is what is on the first post. I personally think that limiting them will make the tournament more complicated to run.

Wes

More
15 Aug 2011 05:42 #18226 by Twodavez

garfi3ld wrote: lol remember the only thing that is official is what is on the first post. I personally think that limiting them will make the tournament more complicated to run.

I totally agree, there is no way you're going to send someone to everyone's computer to verify. But it was something that was brought up, so i just would like to lay it to rest.
Thanks

More
15 Aug 2011 06:44 #18236 by Leonresevil2
I wondered about the runes, masteries, and spells for a simple reason:
TF2 and the Classic mod.
I figured, if items were being restricted to core basics for that, maybe that would be the case for this, limiting it to core unlocks and being focused on skill, not who has the LoL equivalent of Chargin Targe or something.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
15 Aug 2011 07:35 - 15 Aug 2011 07:36 #18246 by Shroud
Speaking of possible "picked" teams (either by staff ro whatever) those who know what they play may want to put down what that is (tanks, carry, ap,ad, etc.) That way if any choosing comes in staff or whoever doesn't stick like three tank players on one team. It would just be nice but totally not super important point, just as a tank player I would love to not have more strictly tank players on my team because I play very few non-tanks. lol Just a thought. :P And Starkiller was the one who brought up rune/mastery bans. I think we should be able to use them, it's a perk from playing before this was ever thought of, but I also understand banning them from a balance issue but I still say no banning.And practice time would be fantastic, also allow early forfeits just in case. ;)
Last edit: 15 Aug 2011 07:36 by Shroud.

More
16 Aug 2011 03:35 #18288 by Twodavez

Shroud wrote: Speaking of possible "picked" teams (either by staff ro whatever) those who know what they play may want to put down what that is (tanks, carry, ap,ad, etc.) That way if any choosing comes in staff or whoever doesn't stick like three tank players on one team. It would just be nice but totally not super important point, just as a tank player I would love to not have more strictly tank players on my team because I play very few non-tanks. lol Just a thought. :P And Starkiller was the one who brought up rune/mastery bans. I think we should be able to use them, it's a perk from playing before this was ever thought of, but I also understand banning them from a balance issue but I still say no banning.And practice time would be fantastic, also allow early forfeits just in case. ;)

If it's like IU did their tourney, you'll have pick of all champions, so it won't matter who you "have" on your account, that's why banning is important as it's not just who you've been able to afford or who's free that weekend.

I think adding a "character pref" ie tank, DPS, carry would add a whole extra level of difficulty for the staff to divide teams with. I think level should be enough, the higher players should be able to play both to accomidate their noobs on their team. Just saying, keep in mind that someone has to make the teams and the more variables, the harder for them to make the teams, plus people will complain anyway, this way it should be as random as possible!

I for one am looking forward to this tourney, i just love playing the game and am actually getting better at it. Vulture would be able to tell you how much i still suck! :P

More
16 Aug 2011 08:07 #18295 by Leonresevil2

Twodavez wrote: If it's like IU did their tourney, you'll have pick of all champions, so it won't matter who you "have" on your account, that's why banning is important as it's not just who you've been able to afford or who's free that weekend.

How is that done? I've never seen that in LoL.
I'm cool with not limiting unlocks and such, and allowing all champ picks is fine if possible. Success will definitely be more dependent upon previous play time and inner game knowledge, which may disappoint some beginners looking for an opportunity to do well in the tournament. I have been trying to think of every detail that can be easily balanced, as I hate to see people walk away disappointed from a tournament, not because of failure on their part, but (in their perspective at least) an unfair tournament that give unfair advantages. I hate seeing that, because I have been there. I'll advocate for beginners to a reasonable degree, but I won't decline to participate just because I have advantages that others won't. Further, since Starkiller (reasonably IMO) assumed runes and masteries would be set to empty, I think the OP should be edited to take a clear stance on this, to avoid confusion and lack of info for any coming late into the topic.

As for listing archetype preferences, I believe that would be hard to coordinate, and players should be able to adapt. I'm in favor of cutting the sign-up time shorter to allow more practice, but 2-3 hours should be decent. I'm eager to put together a good team and have a good time.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
16 Aug 2011 08:41 #18297 by garfi3ld
We can't cut the signup time to much farther but I will be rearraging the schedule to give more time.

The original post will be updated soon enough if it hasn't been already. But I will point out to anyone reading to remember that just because it was talked about the only official rules are what is listed. If its not listed it is not limited as of this time.

Wes

More
16 Aug 2011 09:40 - 16 Aug 2011 09:44 #18300 by Shroud
when I said no banning I meant rune/mastery pages... way to read the post. And the only reason I brought up archtype pref. is because when you are making a team you take that into consideration, but like I also said, not a huge deal because I know it makes it harder. And people admitting that they suck isn't making me feel any better about this. lol So just lie to me and say you are good.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 09:44 by Shroud.

More
16 Aug 2011 10:21 - 16 Aug 2011 10:22 #18302 by Plague
I have posted that latest update to the rules... I hope this clears up some of the confusion.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 10:22 by Plague.

We have 1746 guests and no members online

supportus