v9.0 Tournament Rules: League of Legends

More
08 Aug 2011 08:34 - 12 Apr 2012 01:55 #17793 by Plague
League of Legend Rules:
-Format: 5v5 Modifed Draft Mode (Single Elimination)
-Teams: random
-Capacity: 40 players/8 teams max
-Level: no level cap
-Map: Summoner's Rift - Summer
-Team A will create games, bans and picks will happen before the game is created.
- BANS - B,A,A,B, (5 minutes to complete)
- PICKS - A,B,B,A,A,B,B,A,A,B (5 minutes to complete)
- Rune pages and Mastery Skills will be completely allowed.
-Victory: Opponents' Nexus destroyed or surrender.

NOTE: These rules are subject to change before the event.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2012 01:55 by Plague.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2011 09:39 #17799 by Leonresevil2
They let you determine the time length for bans and picks now? That seems new to me, it was always 90 seconds or 2 minutes I thought.

And what if, say, enough people sign up for full x number of teams +2? Do those people not get a team to play? Or will we drag someone else in to fill the third spot to make a team? I know it's random teams, but say 17 people sign up.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
08 Aug 2011 15:00 #17811 by Nacelle
Winners of a round who get done early shouldn't be allowed to watch another game. Neither should the losers of a game announce to everyone else which champions the winning team used and really did good with. This would give a team an unfair advantage in knowing who to ban in the next round. We had a similar instance of this at Nexus with Starcraft where one team watched our strat against another team in the semi-finals and then knew the exact counter to what we were going to do.

More
08 Aug 2011 16:14 #17813 by garfi3ld
we will do our best to make full teams.

Not a bad idea Nacelle

Wes

More
08 Aug 2011 21:16 #17828 by Plague

Leonresevil2 wrote: They let you determine the time length for bans and picks now? That seems new to me, it was always 90 seconds or 2 minutes I thought.

You are right in the game it only allows for about 2 minutes for that. the 10 minutes to pre-game creation. so you have up to 10 minutes(I hoping less) to figure out what the bans will be and up to 10 minutes to figure out the picks. and we create the game and the bans and pick entry should be quick because we already have them decided.

More
08 Aug 2011 21:19 #17829 by Plague

Nacelle wrote: Winners of a round who get done early shouldn't be allowed to watch another game. Neither should the losers of a game announce to everyone else which champions the winning team used and really did good with. This would give a team an unfair advantage in knowing who to ban in the next round. We had a similar instance of this at Nexus with Starcraft where one team watched our strat against another team in the semi-finals and then knew the exact counter to what we were going to do.

I agree with Wes, this is a good idea, might be hard to do, but we will look into it. Again thanks Nacelle for bring that up.

More
08 Aug 2011 21:52 #17834 by Shroud
ewww... 3 vs 3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twodavez

More
09 Aug 2011 05:43 #17866 by Twodavez

Shroud wrote: ewww... 3 vs 3

Why 3v3, why not aim for a 5v5 and even if 3 teams sign up, at least we'd be playing the game the way everyone is already used to playing it...
Just my thoughts, and Nacelle, good idea, but good luck keeping everyone quiet, if people are that good, they it shouldn't make a big difference on what's talked about. You'll know who they are picking as they ban first, then take turns picking, and people pick certian people to counter other people...
I doubt they seclude everyone in the major tourneys... Going first always sucks...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
09 Aug 2011 05:47 #17867 by Leonresevil2

Plague wrote: You are right in the game it only allows for about 2 minutes for that. the 10 minutes to pre-game creation. so you have up to 10 minutes(I hoping less) to figure out what the bans will be and up to 10 minutes to figure out the picks. and we create the game and the bans and pick entry should be quick because we already have them decided.

Ok, I wondered if these were to be discussed out of game or if team ban/pick chatter was limited to in-game chat in the match setup and creation.
Does "we already have them decided" mean the tourney staff have already decided who can be banned? Confusingly phrased, sorry.

And personally I like 3v3, but I've spent a lot of time in it due to my connection speed. In pub games a bad player can spell a loss, but the map does allow faster matches and somewhat less chance of team stacking. Of course, we must be honest about our skill levels.
I think having as many matches going as possible at the same time would be best, to speed up the tournament pace and keep the possible chatter/tactic observation to a minimum.
Lol but if you stream to Justin.tv or something then there's no helping you. Honestly, teams shouldn't rely on one trick to win, and if the opponents know how to counter, then adapt.

Might I suggest limiting teams to 2 'tanks' as classified by the developers? It's pretty well known that 3v3 can be imbalanced with all tanks. I can see that the other team can counter-pick, but the A-B-B-A-A-B pick method makes it a bit harder. I should freshen up on this game, I totally suck at games like HoN. :whistle:

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
09 Aug 2011 06:49 #17872 by Plague

Leonresevil2 wrote: Does "we already have them decided" mean the tourney staff have already decided who can be banned? Confusingly phrased, sorry.

What I meant was that the teams will decided these out of game before the match is created.

More
09 Aug 2011 14:30 #17899 by Arxon
From my experience... Don't limit champs. An all tanky team can be beat really easily with a few tank eating champs.

More
10 Aug 2011 02:48 #17955 by Leonresevil2

Arxon wrote: From my experience... Don't limit champs. An all tanky team can be beat really easily with a few tank eating champs.

True, it's very possible. I haven't kept up with the game so I didn't know if the meta changed or anything. Looking at the wikis, it seems like most champs have stayed about the same, some reworks (I miss my Kayle...), and if anything that assassin-types are buffed up now.
Still looking at things, but I saw that Wit's End lost the mana burn aspect; are there any items that feature this ability now? Or are mages just weakened enough as it is that they took out mana-fighting items?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
10 Aug 2011 03:42 - 10 Aug 2011 03:43 #17961 by Plague
I updated the first post. We have decided to do 5v5, but due to the increase in match time, we are going to have limit it to 8 teams max (40 players).

So when you get to the event, make sure to hit up the console and signup ASAP. :)
Last edit: 10 Aug 2011 03:43 by Plague.

More
10 Aug 2011 03:49 #17963 by Leonresevil2
Ok. Can we say who all is interested, to get an idea of numbers? Or will we just wait until the event and see who all signs up?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
10 Aug 2011 03:56 #17964 by Plague

Leonresevil2 wrote: Ok. Can we say who all is interested, to get an idea of numbers? Or will we just wait until the event and see who all signs up?

we will see how many sign up at the event, there is really not a good way to get a number before hand.

More
10 Aug 2011 05:11 - 10 Aug 2011 05:21 #17967 by Nacelle
Sorry to say, it's not possible to get a number. Too many people don't consider visiting the forums, before a LAN, part of the experience. Show up, play games, and never hear from them again until the next one.

I was kind of looking forward to 3v3. It's different enough from the regular game to make it interesting.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2011 05:21 by Nacelle.

More
10 Aug 2011 09:49 #17971 by Arxon
I agree with 3v3. It brings all the hardcore LoL out of the safe environment of 5v5 they are used to.

More
10 Aug 2011 13:20 #17978 by Leonresevil2
I did like the idea of 3v3, but I didn't want to be the guy.
Sad to see people don't get on to talk up to the lan. We should secretly reward forum followers by having a secret early event or something that only gets announced on here.
Well, maybe we should have a vote on 3v3 or 5v5? Get some ideas on number of players interested that way, and see what people think works.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
10 Aug 2011 14:42 - 10 Aug 2011 14:42 #17982 by Nacelle
How about everyone who knows a code phrase, when they sign in, get a little something extra, maybe a ticket. A word from that phrase in posted in a random thread every couple days. That way everyone will read all of them trying to find the word.
Last edit: 10 Aug 2011 14:42 by Nacelle.

More
11 Aug 2011 05:13 #18022 by Leonresevil2

Nacelle wrote: How about everyone who knows a code phrase, when they sign in, get a little something extra, maybe a ticket. A word from that phrase in posted in a random thread every couple days. That way everyone will read all of them trying to find the word.

Yes, and every code piece is kept up for maybe 3 days max. It'll be like the Portal 2 announcement puzzle, except actually useful!

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
11 Aug 2011 05:21 #18023 by Twodavez
Hey, i can start playing 3v3 to get the feel for it, it just figured based upon the difficulties i've seen at other lans with these type of games, fewer total teams might be smoother and go a little faster, but that's just my opinion.

Plus i'm not sure how many total noobs will be playing but with random teams, i figure i'd rather have 3 noobs with 2 experienced people than 2 noobs with one experienced person to carry.

But either way is fine...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
11 Aug 2011 06:03 #18030 by Leonresevil2

Twodavez wrote: Hey, i can start playing 3v3 to get the feel for it, it just figured based upon the difficulties i've seen at other lans with these type of games, fewer total teams might be smoother and go a little faster, but that's just my opinion.

Plus i'm not sure how many total noobs will be playing but with random teams, i figure i'd rather have 3 noobs with 2 experienced people than 2 noobs with one experienced person to carry.

Reasonable points. That's why I was interested in how many were interested, so we can get an idea on how many teams there would be. A 5v5 tourney would be a bit lame with only 15 people in, and that's completely possible considering the number of people coming, and how they may not all be there at this time of the first day, and may not all be interested. The most important thing is honest random team balancing. Having more on a team helps, and 5v5 matches tend to be less 1-sided, but map awareness and pro skill makes a bigger difference on that map IMO. Additionally, every 'noob' on your team can be seen as a liability, as it's well known a feeder is worse than a missing teammate.
But from my experience, 3v3 is easier to get a handle on for beginners, with less buffs and time pace knowledge needed, easier jungling, easy roaming, and less time for that 1 pro to get in and help his 2 beginners. 3v3 goes quicker, and allows for a bit easier turtling (be that good or bad). I've seen a team just dominate in kills, get sloppy and overextend on the final turret, get aced, and the losing team turns it around completely. 3v3 is more intense that way, with faster pace and changes. Teamfights and tactics are different, and it doesn't break down into the traditional 'all-mid' end by the books. I feel it is a bigger test of skill and adaptability. Maybe it's just fond memories of playing that map a bunch of times, but it's my view on it. Either way, I'll just be happy to be back in it. I have yet to find a champ like Martyr, however.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
11 Aug 2011 14:46 - 11 Aug 2011 20:42 #18040 by Nacelle
While not a %100 way to evaluate a players skill. We should go by their level. Random never turns out very fair. It could put a whole team of noobs up against a whole team of level 30s. When you sign up, also put down your level. That way the person in charge of the event can evenly distribute the pros. Also the point of "random" is to make it fair for everyone. But sometimes being on a team with your friend is just as fair as a random person you don't know. For instance, My son is level 30 and I'm 19. It would be just as fair for us to be together as it would for me to be placed on a team with another level 30 person. I think that it would be nice when signing up to also write down other people that you would like to team with. Than if it's fair, according to levels, they could be put together. I know my example could apply to Twodavez and Daveyo. Daveyo is level 30 and Twodavez is lower. I know they would want to be on teams. Why separate them if it's still fair to everyone else? my $.02
Last edit: 11 Aug 2011 20:42 by Nacelle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
11 Aug 2011 23:19 #18054 by Arxon

Nacelle wrote: While not a %100 way to evaluate a players skill. We should go by their level. Random never turns out very fair. It could put a whole team of noobs up against a whole team of level 30s. When you sign up, also put down your level. That way the person in charge of the event can evenly distribute the pros. Also the point of "random" is to make it fair for everyone. But sometimes being on a team with your friend is just as fair as a random person you don't know. For instance, My son is level 30 and I'm 19. It would be just as fair for us to be together as it would for me to be placed on a team with another level 30 person. I think that it would be nice when signing up to also write down other people that you would like to team with. Than if it's fair, according to levels, they could be put together. I know my example could apply to Twodavez and Daveyo. Daveyo is level 30 and Twodavez is lower. I know they would want to be on teams. Why separate them if it's still fair to everyone else? my $.02

Or the level 30s be there respective team captain because experience goes farther then skill. As for separating friends i would say yes/no. Yes, for the fact that said friends know how each other play and the other team may not be friends and don't know how each other play. No, because it could take away from the fun factor people are looking for at the lan. Either way it doesn't matter to me. I will be beating peoples faces in either way.

More
12 Aug 2011 07:55 #18083 by Leonresevil2
5v5 would probably be better then, if we will have beginners and some that are not fully leveled. I know that level doesn't indicate skill exactly, just generally how much one has played. Registering with level numbers would be good, and DEFINITELY don't stack high-level teams. Summoner levels give some advantages, and that's why Ranked doesn't allow anyone under max level unless they are in a premade. I think picking friends could be dangerous, as things could stack. Possibly IF you are not lvl 30 and you have a friend, you could mention them, but I'd feel safer with the staff building all random teams, working to not stack a team of all 30's.

Also, what if servers are down/unreachable/DDoS'ed around the time of the lan? I read that they've been having some troubles that the devs haven't publicly talked about, it would be good to have some plans in case of. Lol Demigod?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
12 Aug 2011 10:30 #18089 by Shroud
Since when are tournaments fair? Aside from general rules, you bring a team, you go against other teams, best team wins, I understand this is random and I've accepted that. But no tournaments are not fair, it's a competition you bring your best, you play to win. Personally I would say all random or let us choose teams, things tend to get hairy if you do too much. A level split could work (cept for smerfs) but you might want to make it by 10's if you can, split the 1-10's in one group, 11-20's in one and 21-30 in one and mix them. And yes, people complaining about stuff not being fair is one of my big pet peeves, life is not fair, deal with it. ;)

*Note: None of this was pointed at anyone nor was it meant in a mean way, just saying.

Also as a somewhat skilled lvl 30, having a team full of noobs ruins the game, It's understandable to have one or two noobs in this kind of situation (per team) but we should aim for a few skilled people per team, plus it will make it more exciting to watch!

More
12 Aug 2011 13:55 - 12 Aug 2011 13:57 #18090 by Leonresevil2
Since it's single elimination, I do think having a spread of noobs on each team helps. Of course, that means every team could have a feeder, and champ picks are that much more important if they can be fed.
Yea, I've got a feeling trying to balance stuff will just be futile. Just hope that knowledge and skill will be decent weapons and counters. Interesting to see how much the new meta will play into the tournament. Next 2 weeks will be HEAVILY patched from the sounds of it, they are working out changes for Season 2 already. We may see some unexpected events and picks, and learning champ changes the hard way.
Too bad there's no replay support.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2011 13:57 by Leonresevil2.

More
12 Aug 2011 14:43 - 12 Aug 2011 14:45 #18092 by Nacelle
I'm certainly NOT on the side of fair. I mention it because that's the idea behind random teams. I'd prefer picking teams, but that's they way they want it to be. I assume it's because My sons and I rolled the Demigod tournament and they don't want to see something similar happen again. Not that we would with LoL, I played with my son and his cousin in a 3v3 match last night and they stunk up the place. Whatever happens, it's should still be fun as long as no one gets mad at the low levels for dying too much.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2011 14:45 by Nacelle.

More
12 Aug 2011 20:09 - 12 Aug 2011 20:15 #18104 by Lersar

Nacelle wrote: I'm certainly NOT on the side of fair. I mention it because that's the idea behind random teams. I'd prefer picking teams, but that's they way they want it to be. I assume it's because My sons and I rolled the Demigod tournament and they don't want to see something similar happen again. Not that we would with LoL, I played with my son and his cousin in a 3v3 match last night and they stunk up the place. Whatever happens, it's should still be fun as long as no one gets mad at the low levels for dying too much.

The biggest reason is that we don't have just a handful of people that are good at League, we have quite a few. Being a free game, we're also anticipating that we will have about the same amount of people who are not as experienced. Hell, you can play quite often and still not be on the same level as another person, as I found out when we got rolled by the Daves ;)

I agree with you Shroud, tournaments aren't really designed to be fair, they're designed to test skill. But with this type of genre especially, team work is a skill in itself, as is being able to communicate with veterans and newcommers alike.

I really think the only way to keep this from being a tournament of 50% experienced and 50% new teams is a random pick. There will be an hour between when sign up ends and the tournament begins, and we will assemble the teams ASAP so you can coordinate with your team and talk, practice, maybe bring newer players up to speed, tell them the do's and do not's.

It should be a good time, hopefully for everyone despite their skill level. I just hope that people continue to be civil to those people who are new; we don't want to scar them from the game. If you plan on playing, I would really recommend downloading and updating the game NOW so you don't have to waste any of your time doing it at the LAN. I don't know that we have discussed what the penalty is for not being ready when your seed is up, but we have done disqualification in the past and considering the tight schedule with this tournament especially, that's a very likely solution.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2011 20:15 by Lersar.

More
12 Aug 2011 21:37 #18108 by Nacelle
And really there's no reason a person wanting to play in a tournament such as this should come into it level one. The game's free and there's 2 weeks left to practice. Now that I think about it, there should be a minimum level to play, even if it's something like 3. This is a game that has a lot of mechanics to it, and this isn't casual play time. A person who doesn't feel the need to practice at least that much shouldn't be allowed to drag the rest of their team down in a tournament.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twodavez

We have 1855 guests and no members online

supportus