Questions, Comments, concerns?

More
14 Sep 2010 00:07 #9216 by Koolaid84
Does anyone have anything that they may want to see in the future? or want to do differently? or have any concerns, questions, comments?

Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead. --Anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2010 05:04 #9223 by Twodavez
Like all Lans trying to get groups together for RTS or LOL type games is hard, wish everyone was in vent so we could use that to find people. What about making a vent channel that was put over the loud speaker so that someone could hop on and make an announcement or ask for players since some people started games without asking for more players...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
14 Sep 2010 05:27 - 14 Sep 2010 05:28 #9225 by Lersar
The main set-back with Vent was that it was only a 10-person capacity, which was hit several times even with BFBC2. We purchased an upgrade to 25, but it had yet to go into affect during the LAN. It will be better, to have everyone at the LAN in Vent (which would be not only nice for organizing games but also general announcements), we would have to buy quite a bit more. Which if I could take the opportunity, we do take donations towards the Vent server, and any are appreciated.

clanpay.darkstarllc.com/donate.php?NjMyMDk=

As mentioned, we would be able to make global broadcasts for those in-game to hear, which has been an issue in the past, and we could even set-up tournament channels so gameplay wasn't interrupted.
Last edit: 14 Sep 2010 05:28 by Lersar.

More
14 Sep 2010 05:50 #9229 by Nacelle
why not set up a local vent server? It's not that hard.

More
14 Sep 2010 08:35 #9236 by Plague
local vent server software is hard coded to 8 people limit, I run one myself.

vent is a cool idea but costly for a once after 6 mos event. If it would be possible to upgrade size for the event and then downgrade the month after that might be worth it. I have never paid for a vent server, so I don't know what the price is like for that.

Overall good LAN, Internet was an issue when people are playing games like MW2 and LOL.

More
20 Sep 2010 06:02 #9408 by renegade
There is a version out there of Vent that is unlimited for local.

More
20 Sep 2010 07:33 - 20 Sep 2010 07:59 #9412 by Dreyvas
How many slots can you do with a local Mumble server? Don't know how many of you have tried it so far, but Mumble pretty much blows Ventrilo and Teamspeak out of the water in terms of voice clarity. It also has a really nice (but unintrusive) ingame overlay that always lets you know who is talking.

If anyone would like to try it out, you can download it free from:

mumble.sourceforge.net/

And connect to my server at

dreyvas.kicks-ass.net port 64738 password ffhlawl

You won't be disappointed.

[video size= width=425 height=344 type=youtube]qMfF36NvoJc[/video]
Last edit: 20 Sep 2010 07:59 by Dreyvas. Reason: Added video

More
20 Sep 2010 07:36 #9413 by Wingless92
We should all use the Control Panel more.

Also Vent shouldn't be an option. We have to use it. It's the easiest thing to download and setup.

We always have people on the LanOC vent. Jump on and let us know what you want to play.

More
26 Sep 2010 23:08 - 26 Sep 2010 23:09 #9737 by renegade
I agree with Dreyvas Mumble is far superior to Vent or Teamspeak. Also mumble is open source and free. You can run it on the net or local with any # of slots.

I have one running 24/7 for NeXus LAN now.

Address : mumble.p3computers.net
Port: Default port

With Mumble you can take the server to the LAN with you open the slots to what ever # you have at the LAN and your set for everyone at the LAN to be in the same voice server.

As for running it on a X/1m connection you can manage 15 ish in it with no issues at all.

I was running a vent but its only up now to tell people we have switched over to Mumble.

Mumble also very configurable. It takes a few min to setup where vent is quicker on the setup, but Mumble far better. It auto balances all sounds so you dont have the junk like in vent someone too loud an you have to lower them manual or too low an have to manual raise them so you can hear them, overlays in games so you can see who is talking, fully skinable, change sounds to make it sound like vent or any app you want etc.

We will be running it at the next NeXus LAN with 100 slots so everyone attending can be in chat to talk, teams to talk you name it. Should really help organizing games etc.
Last edit: 26 Sep 2010 23:09 by renegade.

More
27 Sep 2010 00:48 #9738 by Lersar

renegade wrote: I agree with Dreyvas Mumble is far superior to Vent or Teamspeak. Also mumble is open source and free. You can run it on the net or local with any # of slots.

I have one running 24/7 for NeXus LAN now.

Address : mumble.p3computers.net
Port: Default port

With Mumble you can take the server to the LAN with you open the slots to what ever # you have at the LAN and your set for everyone at the LAN to be in the same voice server.

As for running it on a X/1m connection you can manage 15 ish in it with no issues at all.

I was running a vent but its only up now to tell people we have switched over to Mumble.

Mumble also very configurable. It takes a few min to setup where vent is quicker on the setup, but Mumble far better. It auto balances all sounds so you dont have the junk like in vent someone too loud an you have to lower them manual or too low an have to manual raise them so you can hear them, overlays in games so you can see who is talking, fully skinable, change sounds to make it sound like vent or any app you want etc.

We will be running it at the next NeXus LAN with 100 slots so everyone attending can be in chat to talk, teams to talk you name it. Should really help organizing games etc.

I think they both have their up's and down's. So far Vent has worked great for us, so its not something we mind supporting.

More
27 Sep 2010 01:33 #9739 by renegade
I hear you, but you can only have 8 people in vent on a local LAN, and at any LAN party bandwidth is always at a premium so you really want the chat server to be local and well 8 not cutting it local. With Mumble there is no limit and you can run it local an all your attendee's can be in the server on the local LAN. Huge plus in my opnion.

Also I have never cared for the voice quality in vent, it was ok but never great. Mumble is way better, and the latency on mumble is ALOT lower then vent as well be it on a net server or lan server.

If vent would allow local lan unlimited server probably would never have looked at Mumble but the main reason for looking at it was for a local lan solution that would allow all attendee's to use it locally.

More
27 Sep 2010 01:51 - 27 Sep 2010 01:52 #9740 by Lersar
In just the LAN setting I'd probably agree more, though we ran an online server at a few of our past events and had no issues with it. However, we use Vent for A LOT more than LANs, such as online gaming nights, staff meetings, etc. In that setting, Vent works flawlessly. And if we're already paying for it, we might as well use it at our local events too.

I've also never had any problems with quality, only a compatibility issue that sometimes surfaces with users in Windows 7, which is fixed by checking an options box in the settings.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2010 01:52 by Lersar.

More
27 Sep 2010 05:01 #9742 by Dreyvas

Lersar wrote: I've also never had any problems with quality

Just out of curiosity, have you gotten around to testing out Mumble yet? Like Renegade said, it isn't that Vent isn't clear, it's that Mumble is exceptionally clear. If you haven't tried it yet, you should give it a quick go if only to be blown away by the crystal clear voice quality. :)

Okay, I'm done. Lol

More
27 Sep 2010 06:40 - 27 Sep 2010 06:41 #9743 by renegade
Sure if your already paying for it and you have room for the entire lan in the vent at the same time and have the bandwidth for it then yeah why not use it.

Didnt think you had room for all the of the lanin your vent so thats why I suggested looking at mumble for the LAN's. And down the road when your vent expires look at running a mumble on someones inet thats not used alot etc and same the green eheh.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2010 06:41 by renegade.

More
27 Sep 2010 19:21 - 27 Sep 2010 19:26 #9745 by Lersar

Dreyvas wrote:

Lersar wrote: I've also never had any problems with quality

Just out of curiosity, have you gotten around to testing out Mumble yet? Like Renegade said, it isn't that Vent isn't clear, it's that Mumble is exceptionally clear. If you haven't tried it yet, you should give it a quick go if only to be blown away by the crystal clear voice quality. :)

Okay, I'm done. Lol

Not yet, which is why I haven't chimed on it much. But I have heard from some user experiences that don't quite speak to exceptional clarity. Doing a quick Google search leads me to believe that good reviews far outnumber the bad though.

And we did run out of room at our event, but the 10 capacity was also hindering us outside the LAN. So again, we upgraded to 25, which has been more than enough thus far in both situations. Granted, if we sell out again next time, we may have to rethink that.

I'm not saying we'll never use a Mumble in the future, or that Vent is better or anything like that. Maybe its the reviewer in me that thought we should have some pro-Vent points too lol. And for me, its worth the money to have the convenience of using just one program for everything. I think it's easiest to have one consistent program, that users can have pre-installed and information ready for, most of which come to our LANs and participate in online gaming nights do. Again, yes we could move to Mumble, but Vent just works great for what we want to do outside of LANs.
Last edit: 27 Sep 2010 19:26 by Lersar.

We have 1697 guests and one member online

supportus