LanOC v7.0 Gaming Discussion and List

More
19 Apr 2010 02:02 - 02 Jun 2010 04:19 #3922 by Leonresevil2
This topic is for discussing games we like and dislike, for LanOC v7.0. The more a certain game is mentioned, the more likely it will be kept for the final list. This is not a tournament list, nor an official list. If you agree on a game listed in the topic, feel free to repeat it, so we can tell what catches interest. And if you disagree, feel free to say so with some reason why. I will keep the list up to date, and 'spoiled' to keep it condensed. (Alternatives), {edits and info}, and [Tournament options] will be bracketed off accordingly.
And so...
The List:
Warning: Spoiler!

Original post, spoiled to condense:
Warning: Spoiler!

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2010 04:19 by Leonresevil2.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2010 12:39 - 19 Apr 2010 12:39 #3937 by Lersar
It'd be good to get some preferred maps too
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 12:39 by Lersar.

More
19 Apr 2010 13:40 #3941 by Twodavez
I didn't know there was a LAN option for GTA4, but i think that type of game would be fun.
Also i'm not sure what the settings were for TF2, but i think that will continue to be a LAN favorite just because everyone has it and it can be played on most systems. I prefer Payload maps, and i've seen some MODS that measure how far the cart went in a 5 minute time period or how long it takes a team to capture points. Also i like having a larger team. Teams of 6 i think are too small to cover the maps that were built for 20+ people... If there is enough support, i think having less teams with more people would be more fun.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
19 Apr 2010 13:41 #3942 by technobear
MW2 any map any mode
BC2 *cringes a little* any map any mode
Dirt 2!!!!!!!!! * !! *
TF2 is always good
Flatout 2 ( i guess there is a patch but it cant be applied to our drag and drop..)
Shattered Horizon!!! ( come on this is like $10 on steam every third week)

I agree with Tiffany, i was hoping for more structured FPS action.. Though i was never lacking for a game.

I really liked the idea of the Flatout 2 Tourney because someone who hadnt played it before, or isnt very good at gaming had a chance to win.. Compared to a FPS tourney or RTS..

Honestly at this point im tired of UT games.. they're old and dated and playing against you guys that have mastered it years ago seems to be just an exercise in being target practice to someone who knows the exploits and tricks.

I think im done now..

More
19 Apr 2010 13:51 #3945 by Twodavez
technobear wrote:

Honestly at this point im tired of UT games.. they're old and dated and playing against you guys that have mastered it years ago seems to be just an exercise in being target practice to someone who knows the exploits and tricks.

I think im done now..

I have to agree with this. I've been to 2 or 3 Ft Wayne Gamers events where UT: Wars (or whatever it's called) is played and i still have no idea what i'm doing when i'm playing. I'm pretty much there to give others points and easy kills...
the only problem is that all the new games are online only or there are so many in a genre (FPS or RTS) that finding someone else or a few other people who have the game are are good enough to want to play it at a LAN is hard to do. I have some friends who love the Civ series, but to spend 4 hours playing a round at a LAN doesn't seem practical. Also some of the RTS take time to learn and are hard to pick up when playing against someone who love those types of games and play them lots.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
19 Apr 2010 14:03 #3946 by garfi3ld
I want to play more tf2 and mw2

My tf2 servers had issues so I ended up just hosting a stock 24 man server. That shouldn't be a problem in the future.

Wes

More
19 Apr 2010 14:06 #3948 by MurDerFace
I dont know how many ppl would be into it but im down for some more flatout i like that but i really wouldnt mind seeing Hawx at the next lan. Some may really like it but others would probably hate it but its different, im really into the game but i still have yet to see how it lans. Also as previouly mentioned at past lans we need a Hardcore mode or something along those lines Diablo 2 type tourny just for me lol :p

Werd up home slice

More
19 Apr 2010 14:11 #3950 by garfi3ld
im also up for hawx and trackmania

Wes

More
19 Apr 2010 14:24 - 19 Apr 2010 14:25 #3951 by MurDerFace
now that u mention it i am supprised that we didnt play trackmania at this lan.....i got an xbox controller and everything lol

Werd up home slice
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 14:25 by MurDerFace.

More
19 Apr 2010 14:26 #3953 by garfi3ld
team waffle train was playing it at some point

Wes

More
19 Apr 2010 16:08 #3960 by technobear
i know that Reaper and i would both be for track mania.

( track mania is another good " anyone can pick it up" game for tourneys imho)

Has anyone tried Battlefield Heroes in a lan? is it easy to pickup? install? etc? i know its free.

More
19 Apr 2010 16:22 - 19 Apr 2010 16:23 #3962 by Nacelle
technobear wrote:

But there's something to be said about the occasional old school game. I know there's a couple people that complain about the unfair advantage persistent stats and perks give. UT is about all about FPS skill, not how long you played before hand. Not that I care, I'm just repeating what I've heard.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 16:23 by Nacelle.

More
19 Apr 2010 16:40 #3965 by draymac
technobear wrote:

i know that Reaper and i would both be for track mania.

( track mania is another good " anyone can pick it up" game for tourneys imho)

Has anyone tried Battlefield Heroes in a lan? is it easy to pickup? install? etc? i know its free.

I have played many hours in Battlefied Heroes and I can tell you it would not work well within a LAN setting. It uses matchmaking software to determine matches and the only way to play with your friends is to join them via your friends list. You could rent a server but I don't think you could make it private. It would rock with LAN support but I don't see that happening since it is a browser launched game.

More
19 Apr 2010 17:14 #3974 by Dreyvas
Modern Warfare 2 is fine with people who already know each other at LAN parties, but again, it sucks for large lan parties or ones you have to travel for, because if nobody is on your friends list, you have no way to join a game on a lan.

More
19 Apr 2010 17:20 - 19 Apr 2010 17:31 #3979 by Leonresevil2
Good to know about Battlefield Heroes, I considered mentioning it but I've never tried it.

I can agree that UT is about FPS ability. Personally, I've gotten tired of Cod4, and I'm not getting MW2 yet. For realistic FPS games, I'd probably go with BFBC2 or CoD2 (since I have it), but the realistic FPS games all kinda become the same in terms of gameplay after awhile. CS:S Gungame was cool, but it just got old quick for me. The genres are becoming watered down somewhat. I was thinking, R6V2 would be awesome no matter what we play, Lersar can vouch with me that it's a blast for even just 2 players. And UT Invasion would be good for free-play, or last-man-standing elimination (if you die, you switch to spectate for good, last alive wins).

For racing, I do like the contact aspect of Flatout. Trackmania is accessible, but is also limited to 8 players I believe. But I would enjoy Grid and Dirt, either or.

For RTS, I agree that hour+ matches kinda suck. I like something faster. DoW tends to be fast, around 20 minutes sometimes for a full win. Yet again, 8 player max. But that is reasonable I suppose, as you could do PvE in tight groups. But I'm not as excited in playing DoW as I used to be.

Edit: added The List to the first post, trying to compose a list of games mentioned that people (even some) seem interested in and would work for LAN. Please feel free to tell me if I missed something, repeat what has been mentioned, or tell if something does not work for Lanning. +1 Draymac for the advice on BF Heroes.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 17:31 by Leonresevil2.

More
19 Apr 2010 19:02 #3998 by Tiffany
I wish I could make it to LAN v7.0 but I leave in July for a YEAR :dry: so I feel weird giving my input since I think I am the biggest advocate for FPS games...

More
19 Apr 2010 19:50 #4002 by Leonresevil2
Tiffany wrote:

I wish I could make it to LAN v7.0 but I leave in July for a YEAR :dry: so I feel weird giving my input since I think I am the biggest advocate for FPS games...

Have you played any FPS games that haven't been mentioned? Also, Lersar mentioned that map/mode requests would help. Feel free to mention what maps and modes you like for games you like. Or even tournament ideas! Any advice and ideas are helpful, and we have enough time in getting them now to be able to tweak and adjust before the big Lan. We just need to keep this ball rolling, because we are getting some good information. Thank you all for your input so far! (I totally feel like a staff member here)

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 20:37 #4012 by technobear
Nacelle wrote:

But there's something to be said about the occasional old school game. I know there's a couple people that complain about the unfair advantage persistent stats and perks give. UT is about all about FPS skill, not how long you played before hand. Not that I care, I'm just repeating what I've heard.

Totally understood! Its just my opinion that UT winds up being a twitch fest with exploit city going on. ( knowing exactly where to stand that you cant get hit and you can hit them)

And i consider myself to be fair to midland at FPS.....

I also agree about the persistent stats and perks..

So, FEAR? maybe or Serious Sam?

More
19 Apr 2010 20:45 #4015 by Leonresevil2
technobear wrote:

I've been meaning to try out FEAR some. If I remember right, there is a place online where you can get the multiplayer game directly from the developers for free (which is awesome of them for releasing that). I'm also looking at buying the Serious Sam HD games, if they run for me and are any good. Were you referring to the HD or originals? I've never played any of them so I don't know what is better or anything.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 22:25 #4025 by technobear
Leonresevil2 wrote:

technobear wrote:

I've been meaning to try out FEAR some. If I remember right, there is a place online where you can get the multiplayer game directly from the developers for free (which is awesome of them for releasing that). I'm also looking at buying the Serious Sam HD games, if they run for me and are any good. Were you referring to the HD or originals? I've never played any of them so I don't know what is better or anything.

I mean the HD version. Apparently they're the same as the original except with support for modern hardware. Watch on Steam they do free weekends all the time maybe you can catch it and try it. I bought it when it was less than $10 on steam.

Here is a list of free FPS games .
www.freemmogamer.com/2008/09/best-free-f...ter-mmofps-list.html

here is FEAR
projectorigin.warnerbros.com/fearcombat/main

There is also Americas Army..
www.americasarmy.com/
though ive not played this one much...

More
19 Apr 2010 23:15 #4032 by Tiffany
well if you want to do tourney style in COD4 or MW2 the best way to go would be TDM or S&D (my fave). really on either game you can do ANY map. The nice thing with MW2 and COD4 is that you can take off all the perks.. or even just allow certain perks and weapons.. so everyone will be on an even playing field (besides general skill).

More
19 Apr 2010 23:22 - 20 Apr 2010 00:30 #4036 by Dreyvas
Yeah, the pam mod for Cod4 at Stompfest was amazing for that.

Edit: Though they did a free-for-all tournament, which is my specialty.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2010 00:30 by Dreyvas.

More
23 Apr 2010 01:27 #4406 by Leonresevil2
I played a demo of Serious Sam HD from Steam, and it's interesting, reminds me of Doom and older FPS games like that (makes sense since it's a remake of a 90's FPS), but it's slightly predictable, and they just seem to throw enemies at you constantly by the end. Looked good, but just got annoying after awhile. I will have to give multiplayer a try, but is cooperative the same setup as single player? Or is it different levels?

And I do like CoD4 for TDM, DM, and S&D, good modes to play. A tournament could work for that, with everyone on equal level.

Come on now, there's a points competition, and only 3 new posts here?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
23 Apr 2010 01:34 #4409 by Nacelle
I have the original versions of Serious Sam. Deathmatch is pretty fun, but co-op get kinda boring. They throw massive amounts of bad guys at you, so it's fun for a while. The problem is there's no incentive not to die. You just respawn and continue killing everything. You may be thinking, yea, that sounds good. Trust me, only for a little while.

More
23 Apr 2010 01:43 #4410 by technobear
Nacelle wrote:

I have the original versions of Serious Sam. Deathmatch is pretty fun, but co-op get kinda boring. They throw massive amounts of bad guys at you, so it's fun for a while. The problem is there's no incentive not to die. You just respawn and continue killing everything. You may be thinking, yea, that sounds good. Trust me, only for a little while.

I agree. Its fun for a once through in coop.

More
23 Apr 2010 01:51 #4411 by Leonresevil2
Ok, good input. It seemed like Serious Sam would just put more enemies in to balance out the more players. But the demo claims (unless I am misreading) 16 person co-op. So that would be an insane amount of players and enemies, and would either be yawningly easy, or extremely hard. Anyway, it's something to consider, not written off the list yet.

Also, I have been reading some posts over realistic games (and the lack of realism therein, lol), and I wondered if anyone paid much attention to Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising? Lersar and I bought it on Steam, but I have yet to play it. The multiplayer is supposed to be bigger and possibly good.

Additionally, I have played FarCry 2 on PS3 and I LOVED the multiplayer in it. The PC requirements are higher, but I think most people here would be able to play it. The game is pretty low-priced these days. Anyone else tried it?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
23 Apr 2010 18:04 #4537 by Plague
My two cent on games.

TF2
COD4 or 5
UT24k or UT3
StarCraft
RedAlert 2 or 3
FlatOut2
The Quakes

those are just the ones I can think off top of my head.

retro tourney.
duck hunt
Mario

More
27 Apr 2010 19:55 #4952 by Lersar
Plague wrote:

My two cent on games.

TF2
COD4 or 5
UT24k or UT3
StarCraft
RedAlert 2 or 3
FlatOut2
The Quakes

those are just the ones I can think off top of my head.

retro tourney.
duck hunt
Mario

What did everyone think about the UT2k4 at v6.0?

And we did get a few matches of MW2 in, I didn't have any problems with lag, how did it run for everyone else?

Also, how much interest do we have for StarCraft II? I'm a pretty big fan of the beta ATM.

More
28 Apr 2010 02:34 - 28 Apr 2010 02:35 #4964 by Oh4sh0
I think you should try to stay with games that people can LAN and there will be a large amount of gamers:

Good:
TF2
Flatout2
Cod4
Ut04 - Should try some onslaught games next time
Crysis Wars - Although not enough people seemed interested, or maybe there was a tourney going on at the time?

Too much CSS (always too much at every LAN)

Bad:
DOTA?
BFBC2?
CODMW2?

Could Add:
Serious Sam?
L4D - enough players?
Battlefield 1942/DC/2?
Fear?
Trackmania
GRID
Try a diff RTS? RON?
Last edit: 28 Apr 2010 02:35 by Oh4sh0.

More
28 Apr 2010 03:42 #4965 by garfi3ld
I had a blast playing MW2, I was shocked to see that once in a private match it was basically a LAN game.

But it prob won' be a tournament game just because of only part of the community having it.

Wes

We have 1911 guests and no members online

supportus