WTB: Super Cheap Upgrade

More
15 Oct 2009 21:32 #274 by Shibumi
Okay, so my secondary desktop (the gf's now) really needs to move up from old architecture, but I don't want to spend a ton on it. Currently I can't move anything from the new desktop to the old desktop because of architecture issues... Its the last of the Pentium 4 kind with the highest possible AGP graphics card left in it. I would really like to upgrade it to a modern socket with a PCI-E slot.

Here's where the cheap part comes in. I want to get the cheapest possible PCI-E graphics card I can, like 30-50 dollars, and I want to get a mobo\cpu combo as cheap as possible. My only stipulation is that down the line I can put a better Graphics card\CPU in it down the line. So really, I just need a mobo with a modern socket and a PCI-E slot that'll do the job. The CPU obviously doesn't need to be even remotely great because anything at this point is faster\more efficient than a 3.0 ghz P4.

Any suggestions? Or do any of you have some really old PCI-E mobos laying around I could get cheap? I would really like the entire upgrade to cost less than 200 bucks. Honestly it wouldn't even really have to be an upgrade, just give me the expandability of a modern CPU socket and a friggen PCI-E slot. Having an AGP slot in a secondary PC is really limiting my ability to give it some "hand-me-down" loving.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2009 23:15 #275 by Nacelle
You won't need to buy a cheap video card if you go with motherboard with onboard graphics. You can upgrade later. $65 www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128388

I also have a cpu for sale. $50 lanoc.org/forum/topic?id=42

4gb ram $74 www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146692

$189+shipping

More
16 Oct 2009 01:16 #278 by garfi3ld
that would be one of the best deals right now. The other option would be to look at amd mobo's with onboard video also

Wes

More
16 Oct 2009 02:13 #284 by Shibumi
That's a pretty cool Motherboard I must say. Not to sound offensive but I would never in a million years pay 75 bucks for ram, not 4GB anyways. I have 8GB of OCZ Reaper Ram in my current machine and I got it all for less than 50.

Anyways... thanks for the mobo idea, and that proc is pretty nice too. I'll let you know if I'm interested in acquiring that proc.

More
16 Oct 2009 02:22 #285 by Nacelle
Where you getting ram that cheap? $74 is near the low end of the price scale for that much, on newegg www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?...oreType=&srchInDesc=

More
16 Oct 2009 02:28 #286 by Shibumi

Nacelle wrote: Where you getting ram that cheap? $74 is near the low end of the price scale for that much, on newegg www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?...oreType=&srchInDesc=

Its all about the rebates my friend :D

RAM constantly cycles on newegg and slickdeals.net for less than 30 bucks all the time with a rebate.

More
16 Oct 2009 02:29 #287 by garfi3ld
ddr2 has gone up in price a lot, its not as popular. DDR3 has been dropping. Infact i would bet that soon the ddr2 will be even higher

Wes

More
16 Oct 2009 02:46 #288 by LinkyPwns
I'm trying to sell my ATI 4870 1GB. I'm willing to go as low as $100.

We have 1570 guests and no members online

supportus