What did you get this holiday

More
24 Dec 2015 22:03 - 25 Dec 2015 14:37 #37464 by garfi3ld
Anyone get or give themselves anything interesting for the holidays?

I got myself a DataVac
www.amazon.com/dp/B001J4ZOAW/?tag=lanoc-20

Wes
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Dec 2015 14:37 by garfi3ld.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2015 04:05 - 26 Dec 2015 04:06 #37467 by Sideout
My girlfriend got me $100 gift certificate to American Muscle so I got a new Panhard bar and a set of SR Performance Coil Packs!!!

I am the LAN!!!!
Last edit: 26 Dec 2015 04:06 by Sideout.

More
26 Dec 2015 05:19 #37468 by cytog64
Used Razer Blade Laptop

More
26 Dec 2015 13:20 #37471 by garfi3ld

cytog64 wrote: Used Razer Blade Laptop

I will be really interested to find out how this works out for you

Wes

More
26 Dec 2015 17:26 - 26 Dec 2015 17:29 #37474 by cytog64
I didn't feel willing to drop 2300 for a new one, but I wanted to try one out for a week or more after testing them at Blizzcon and Dreamhack. I won an ebay auction for 1180$ (2013 14" 512GB edition) and have been using it now for about a month.

It's kind of fun to take this to a coffee shop, sit down between all the MAC users and watch the funny looks they give me.

The 512gb embedded ssd has proven an absolute must for me(so no 256gb). The 765m gtx video card, while faster than my old 675m gtx is having a few lag moments when I run greater rifts in Diablo 3. Star Wars battlefront seems to be running fine.
This thing is getting really hot and when it does, the internal fans get really loud. For the first time I have been using my Cooler Master Note Pal with fans and it is finally a needed component.

These laptops do not have optical drives nor a RJ45 jack for wired networking. There are only 3 USB 3.0 ports to work with. To reload the OS I can either use the embedded partition or slipstream with a pendrive (super fast). I purchased a J5 Create USB3 (www.j5create.com/our-products/ethernet-adapters/juh470.html) gigabit network adapter plus 3 port USB hub and it is working perfectly!

My only remaining challenge is that I would like to start using this as my work laptop (instead of the heavy dell inspiron I currently use). There are 2 problems here. First, a technical one...how do I get my work environment to this machine. I think I have this one solved by using VMware to create an image of my work machine. The second problem is an IT policy that does not allow the use of personal devices; however, in my role I rarely use my actual machine during my "profitable" (when I am delivering training) work activities. Most of the time I am connecting to a classroom of Virtual Machines with GoToMyPC while being connected to an "Islanded" network outside the DMZ.

In the end I really like this machine so much that I think I will buy a new one after the new year to upgrade to the 970 video card, 16gb ram, and have a machine under warranty. I am half tempted to wait for CES and hopefully a new 2016 model so I can buy the 2015 model new on a clearance sale. The only part on the new model I don't care for is a touch screen.
Last edit: 26 Dec 2015 17:29 by cytog64.

More
26 Dec 2015 18:09 #37475 by garfi3ld
I use something similar to the J5 Create USB3 with my Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 but i rarely use it because it doesn't need wired much.

I guess the heat issues are to be expected with the smaller form factor, my Yoga gets hot as hell these days and that is even without a a dedicated GPU. I have been loving using the ultra portable laptop and I had thought about going with something similar with a dedicated GPU but I'm not sure how much I would really be gaming on it. With how much you travel I could see the saved weight of going to the Blade being a HUGE improvement

Wes

More
26 Dec 2015 18:56 #37476 by Ropplestiltskin
I bought a new TV stand for my 55' 4k tv :)

Ok so I need a bottle of nitro, a stick of Dynamite, a roll of duct tape and ... Oh yeah! a squirrel

More
31 Dec 2015 05:37 #37491 by Sideout
Added photos of my Panhard bar before and after install with stock Panhard bar as well.

I am the LAN!!!!
Attachments:

More
31 Dec 2015 06:10 #37492 by garfi3ld
So whats next on the car?

Wes

More
01 Jan 2016 02:36 #37495 by Sideout
Well the battery terminal for the positive side is damaged from the alarm system install and needs replaced so I just got done taking the battery out and cutting the terminals off and stripping the wires. I will get new terminals and replace. Thinking of getting a nice smaller battery as well for racing since it will save 15lbs.

The list of the next mods are:
1. Nitto NT555R tires - prob 275/40/18 - drag radials.
2. Shaftmasters 1 piece aluminum drive shaft - saves weight - worth about .2 seconds off your 1/4 time.
3. Adjustable rear shocks - haven't decided on brand as of yet.
4. BMR Rear Sway bar
5. Torque Converter - 3K stall or better - will allow for better launches by getting higher into the powerband. Stock converter is rated at 1850 stall which is about 750 to 1000 rpm below where the power band opens up.

Been looking at it and I think that right now - if i go with a power adder - I will go with NOS. Found a nice wet plate system for about a total of $2K with a remote bottle opener and bottle warmer kit with purge as well. This would allow me to run a 100HP / 125HP shot of NOS which should put me in the low 12's close to the 11's with the suspension mods.

I want to see what it will do with these suspension mods as the above should get me into the high 12's around the 12.9 to 12.8 area.

Setting up the suspension to hook will benefit me in the long run more than throwing more power at the car right now.

I am the LAN!!!!

More
02 Jan 2016 15:04 #37498 by Wooderson
My Wife got me a steam link and steam controller!

I kill CPU's
The following user(s) said Thank You: draymac, Myndmelt

More
04 Jan 2016 16:20 #37508 by Myndmelt
Wes I have one of those datavac. It's is amazing to everyone I show, when I blow the dust out. Works better than an air can and its electric!
It shouldn't be called a VAC though because its really a blower. But that thing rocks!

More
04 Jan 2016 16:24 #37509 by Myndmelt
This holiday I was graced by a delicious new EVGA 980 TI Hybrid water cooled video card! It is amazing, You can run everything on max settings on nearly any game and the temps are around 50C! Hardly any noise at all. Amazing!

More
04 Jan 2016 21:32 #37512 by garfi3ld
That card is badass

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Myndmelt

We have 1558 guests and no members online

supportus