Comcast to buy out Time Warner Cable

More
13 Feb 2014 04:19 #34037 by Dreyvas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2014 04:21 #34038 by garfi3ld
I actually read that they made an offer but it was denied a few weeks ago. I completely blocked it out due to the nightmares it would cause me. Now I have to go to bed thinking about datacaps :|

Wes

More
13 Feb 2014 16:07 #34039 by Deb0
Looks like I may need to consider switching ISPs.

More
13 Feb 2014 16:19 - 13 Feb 2014 16:32 #34040 by Sideout
Your choices will be fairly limited in this area as typically it is the cable provider or the local telco who has crappy DSL or in some areas - AT&T Uverse which is in between.

Let's wait for the final announcement that it is happening and then see what the transition plan for the areas are before we get the hysteria train in full motion.

This merger still has to pass FCC and antitrust regulators and honestly it will be a hard sell considering who owns Comcast and how much market share they have.

I am the LAN!!!!
Last edit: 13 Feb 2014 16:32 by Sideout.

More
13 Feb 2014 16:35 #34041 by garfi3ld

Sideout wrote: This merger still has to pass FCC and antitrust regulators and honestly it will be a hard sell considering who owns Comcast and how much market share they have.

This is what I'm hoping for. But honestly I don't have a lot of faith in the FCC protecting us right now lol.

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Plague

More
13 Feb 2014 16:53 #34042 by renegade
After digging into this I have to say that in the present form just an out right buy I do not see the FCC and Anti Trust allowing this to go through.

If it was just TV yes, but when you add in that this will give them 33m internet customers and that will be more then 50% of the US making them the largest in the US and as some articles have pointed out possibly larger then the biggest ISP in China that changes ALOT of things.

If there is one thing this administration has been good about is making sure mergers like this are in the best interest of the country and consumer.

So yeah it bothers me. Hell I already talked to Sideout about how much we push up an down at NeXus so I can plan ahead for this if it does go thru and they push limits in this area. Good news is any kinda change, limit, etc is not going to happen before 1st of next year so we got plenty of time.

Bad news is even if this goes thru comcast will still be the best choice. ATT U-Verse has a 250g Cap and more $ on overages already in place. Att DSL has a 150g cap.

More
13 Feb 2014 18:02 #34045 by Dreyvas
Really hope you guys are right.

More
13 Feb 2014 19:57 #34054 by jj_Sky5000
Xfininty has been great in town, no issues and no cap 120/20 up at our garage lan.

More
13 Feb 2014 20:20 #34055 by Sideout
The main issue in my mind is that Comcast has been known to traffic shape on an application basis at times.

Example is the Xfininty - a Comcast product and what they will do is shape traffic to Netflix's to degrade it to the point that you switch to their product.

Granted you have to take the claims with a grain of salt and wonder about if it is really true but there are tons of post's on the Internet about it.

I am the LAN!!!!

More
15 Feb 2014 06:35 #34093 by Arxon
I work for TWC an a tech. Insider news is TWC is staying TWC and nothing is changing except who owns TWC. The FCC and all that won't allow Comcast to put their name on TWC systems and the TWC systems will stay the same so they can bypass the monopoly aspect of the merge.

More
17 Feb 2014 23:04 #34107 by cytog64
The following user(s) said Thank You: Plague, trgtprctc

More
17 Feb 2014 23:24 #34109 by trgtprctc
Awesome. Would be better if they also offered proctology services.

cytog64 wrote: www.southparkstudios.com/clips/qblqju/th...le-company-runaround

More
18 Feb 2014 20:00 #34112 by Wingcmdr77
www.detroitnews.com/article/20140214/BIZ/302140049/1001/BIZ

IF I'm reading this correctly the merger is done. And I'm thinking that some of you are going to get the short end off the deal if your not in an area with ATT-Uverse, Frontier, Verizon (very small parts of U.S. still have them), or something smaller.

Was strongly considering the switch to Comcast because off Frontiers price increases. I'd save probably 20.00 a month with switching and that adds up roughly 240.00 a year.

After seeing this I'm leaning towards its a bad idea to switch.

What are your thoughts for me? Any good feed back would be appreciated. B)

More
18 Feb 2014 21:07 #34113 by renegade
Its not a done deal until fcc / anti trust sign off on it an that will not be for a while, and there will almost for sure be rules they will impose on the deal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wingcmdr77

We have 1349 guests and no members online

supportus