So, LAN in the Fort?

More
28 Mar 2012 04:32 #24314 by Angrypirate
I would really love to have a LAN here in Fort Wayne. I have a feeling it could easily be as large as last weekend, esp if it could get sponsored as well. Any input as to how to get something like that going??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2012 05:20 #24317 by vialdragon
Replied by vialdragon on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?
I have no input on sponsors. However if u do decide to do anything in the fort I'd be willing to help with power. As far as layout and running of power that is.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

More
28 Mar 2012 05:41 #24320 by jj_Sky5000
Replied by jj_Sky5000 on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?
There has been a lan at indiana tech 50+ peeps the last 2 years next one is at teh end of april. in mid 2000's Fort lan & it ninjas had sevral lans anywher e from 30-50, fwgg was teh biggestlan back in teh early 2000's would get over 200+ and be at the colisum with tons of sponsors, Location in the Fort are $$$ that is your only set back.

More
28 Mar 2012 05:44 #24321 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?
If youre interested in doing something big, i'd suggest you hop onto Fort Wayne Gamer's site ( fwgamers.net/index.php )as we've already worked through locations and prices. The problem is finding a space large enough to have that much power available, yet small enough that they don't charge tons of money to rent the place for 2 days. Wes seems to always have an "in" or his town is small enough that the rates are low...

If people were willing to pay $40 a person, we could put it on this weekend. :-)

Indiana Tech has the space, power, and ability to hold a 100+ person LAN, but they just dont have the advertising needed to get it that big. JJSky_5000 would be able to get you in contact with a few guys from their camp to get something worked out. Being a school they can get the room and all the power for free, so anything you charge can go right into profits Ie equipment and other fun things.

Let me know what you'd like to do and i'd be happy to help anyway i can. As you can see we've already thought about this, just haven't had and luck finding the most important piece, the location.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
28 Mar 2012 06:12 #24327 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?
We have talked about doing this a few times also but the location is the biggest factor. I'm sure their are locations similar to what we have used to host our events but they are hard to come by. As Dave said size and power are two major issues. The other things to consider are the overall cost that you have to split up between each person at the LAN and then you also have the total cost that you yourself would be responsible for paying if the LAN didn't pan. There are a few places that are normally up for working with you on price but your going to be limited on when you can use the building, like churches for example and schools. Even then their are very few buildings that really have the power needed to host an event the size that we put on this weekend even.

On top of that you have to worry about having switches, network cable, and the most expensive part is all of the extension cords and whatnot needed for power. Just to give you an idea, we spent around 300 in power equipment this event and that is only a small portion of what we have.

Wes

More
28 Mar 2012 06:15 #24328 by garfi3ld
also I should point out that getting the amount of sponsors we had this weekend isn't normal for most events at all. Even events twice our size. I work closely with companys and friends to get you guys kick ass prizes well above what they normally send out to LAN's

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, jpwinkis, draymac, J_E_R_O_M_E

More
28 Mar 2012 07:40 #24334 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?

garfi3ld wrote: also I should point out that getting the amount of sponsors we had this weekend isn't normal for most events at all. Even events twice our size. I work closely with companys and friends to get you guys kick ass prizes well above what they normally send out to LAN's

Yeah, seriously. We had a hell of a prize pool, this time especially.

More
28 Mar 2012 16:22 #24335 by Twodavez

Dreyvas wrote:

garfi3ld wrote: also I should point out that getting the amount of sponsors we had this weekend isn't normal for most events at all. Even events twice our size. I work closely with companys and friends to get you guys kick ass prizes well above what they normally send out to LAN's

I understand that the amount of prizes would increase the more the name of the LAN got out, but that's not really what brings attendees in, it's the space and location that allows for the LAN to even happen. I know Indiana Tech Lan gets about 10-20 good prizes and they are much smaller than LAN OC in attendence and work put into getting the prizes. They even have offered free drinks in the past since they get the building and most of their equipment for free.
If you wanna partner with someone local to put something on, i'd suggest getting with them as they have the biggest hurdle, the building, taken care of.

The prizes were pretty amazing and i really liked the grab-bags. Those fabric bags make great shopping bags, plus you get to show off your gaming style with the sponsors name on the bags!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
28 Mar 2012 16:36 #24338 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?

Twodavez wrote:

Dreyvas wrote:

I understand that the amount of prizes would increase the more the name of the LAN got out, but that's not really what brings attendees in

Isn't that what he just said? Haha.

Regardless, our prize pool was full of win.

More
28 Mar 2012 16:51 #24339 by Twodavez

Dreyvas wrote:

Twodavez wrote:

Dreyvas wrote:

I understand that the amount of prizes would increase the more the name of the LAN got out, but that's not really what brings attendees in

Isn't that what he just said? Haha.

Regardless, our prize pool was full of win.

that's not at all what he said, nothing was mentioned that the prizes aren't what bring people in, Wes was just stating the fact that as the lan grows, and the more effort that's put in, prizes in crease. I was trying to say, even with out prizes at all, i think we could pack a place in Fort Wayne for a LAN.

Although we do all appreciate all the hard work Wes and the rest of the crew put into getting the prizes that are frosting on the cake of a great LAN.

More
28 Mar 2012 20:27 #24342 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?
While there's something to be said for the large parties, the most consistant fun is had a the small ones. Keep an eye on the fwgamers site. They have one at least a couple times a year. If you're willing to host, it will happen more often.

More
28 Mar 2012 20:30 #24343 by Twodavez

Nacelle wrote: While there's something to be said for the large parties, the most consistant fun is had a the small ones. Keep an eye on the fwgamers site. They have one at least a couple times a year. If you're willing to host, it will happen more often.

I completely agree. I always enjoy the FW Gamers LAN parties. They are usually just a one day event (10 am - 2 am) and it's nice to have everyone at the LAN playing the same game and not just dinking around with flash games or playing WoW or something else they can do alone by themselves at home. Plus it's a good opportunity to dust off the old games you loved to play but can't get people to play with there are newere titles available.

More
29 Mar 2012 19:43 - 29 Mar 2012 19:44 #24365 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kinds words regarding our (FWG) parties - each of your checks are in the mail :laugh: . My motto is that I don't "run" FWG - it's a LANocracy. You want a party? You get it going & host it how you want to do it. I just pay for the web hosting, and it just so happens that I host the majority of the parties as well. Rest assured if you've got the space and the power, several of us will chip in and bring switches & technical expertise where needed. We don't do sponsors, we don't do official tournaments, and there is no set schedule or list of games. We keep it all about the gaming and having fun, and we listen to Paco rant as well.

To that end I've got a poll up on the site ( fwgamers.net/ ) as to when the next party will be.

It's going to be somewhere between 12-16 people cap as that's all I can stuff in my garage, and parking isn't great. I'm talking with my church to see if I can start hosting some there, but I've got concerns about their power and cooling capabilities. Plus I don't have time to mess with sponsors and all the cool stuff people expect which you get at larger parties like the big boys at LanOC do.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2012 19:44 by Reaper.

More
29 Mar 2012 19:55 #24366 by garfi3ld
I know I have offered before, but LanOC would always be up for bringing a switch or any cords needed Reaper

Wes

More
29 Mar 2012 23:20 - 29 Mar 2012 23:21 #24381 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?

garfi3ld wrote: I know I have offered before, but LanOC would always be up for bringing a switch or any cords needed Reaper

Only if you leave them when you go, especially those larger 24 port gigabit ones :D . I'm good on switches right now technically, I have a 24 port 10/100 that I can fall back on if needed + usually have no shortage of 8-port gig switches brought by members. My comment on that was more or less if someone had the space and wanted to host a party, our crew can generally be pretty helpful in bringing things to make it happen.
Last edit: 29 Mar 2012 23:21 by Reaper.

More
30 Mar 2012 00:33 #24385 by garfi3ld
No i understand, i just wanted to remind you that the offer is always there. Let me know when your next lan is also, I would love to come out

Wes

More
30 Mar 2012 01:00 #24388 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?
I would be willing to show up also. Gotta show some love to the Ft. Wayne area.

More
30 Mar 2012 01:15 #24390 by jpwinkis
Replied by jpwinkis on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?
I'd be interested in checking out this Indiana tech LAN if its the weekend after Nexus. Is there a site for it?

More
30 Mar 2012 01:19 #24391 by jpwinkis
I sent you an email through muncie games. Would be interested in attending another one. I still enjoy a good old house lan.

More
30 Mar 2012 02:15 #24392 by Nacelle
I got your email. I'm not the guy to ask though. I'm behind Muncie Gamers.

More
30 Mar 2012 02:18 #24393 by jpwinkis

Nacelle wrote: I got your email. I'm not the guy to ask though. I'm behind Muncie Gamers.

Right, I was sending you asking when the next Muncie Gamers LAN is.

More
30 Mar 2012 02:44 #24395 by Nacelle
Oh.. I'm not really sure. As long as the guys in Fort Wayne have one, I'll just go there. I have family there, so it makes it easy for me. My problem is that I can't find anyone local to attend. When i do talk to someone, they never show up. It ends up being all LanOC and FW guys. I enough people show interest, I'll host one for sure.

More
30 Mar 2012 16:23 #24398 by Twodavez

Nacelle wrote: Oh.. I'm not really sure. As long as the guys in Fort Wayne have one, I'll just go there. I have family there, so it makes it easy for me. My problem is that I can't find anyone local to attend. When i do talk to someone, they never show up. It ends up being all LanOC and FW guys. I enough people show interest, I'll host one for sure.

You can always count me in, so long as it's not too close to another LAN. I have the same situation as you do where my in-laws live down your way, so i can drop off the family and come game! I always enjoy the smaller LAN's because everyone is on the same page and it even forces me to play some games i normally wouldn't.

More
31 Mar 2012 11:00 #24414 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?
Id be down for anything local (Fort Wayne) I could also provide any help needed.

More
05 Apr 2012 04:14 #24492 by Ender
Replied by Ender on topic Re: So, LAN in the Fort?
YAY FORT WAYNE LAN! I'd have LOTS of people willing to come!

More
05 Apr 2012 05:33 - 05 Apr 2012 06:26 #24493 by Nacelle

jpwinkis wrote: Right, I was sending you asking when the next Muncie Gamers LAN is.

After further thought, I decided to just go ahead and go with my birthday, June 30th. That's enough time after the Fort Wayne LAN and I haven't seen much in the way of anything else going on at that time.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2012 06:26 by Nacelle.

We have 2359 guests and no members online

supportus