Weigh in on this arguement

More
27 Dec 2009 05:16 - 27 Dec 2009 05:22 #1650 by Nacelle
My daughter's friend's father thinks he's a smart guy. He's going to Ivy Tech to learn about computers. So he must be, right? He came over to my house one evening to pick up his daughter and saw my setup. I've got 3 gaming computers lined up here. It's hard not to notice them when you come in. He started chatting me up about computers and asks what's in them. I start listing off the cpus and what they are overclocked to. "My computer is a quad core at 3.5ghz. This one is a dual core at 3.7ghz." He cuts in. "Yea, dual core. I've got that. Mine runs that fast." I told him that they don't run that fast, stock. "It does!", he insists. "A guy built it for me. It's a gaming computer." :rolleyes: BS, but I let it go. At some point he mentions that he runs some software that removes cookies and cleans the registry. Afterwards, his computer runs better because cookies are spyware after all. I try to explain that cookies aren't spyware, malware, or a virus. It's just a text file. It, in and of itself, can't hurt your computer. He keeps insisting that cookies are bad. We go back and forth for a bit. He realizes this is going nowhere. So he says, "I think it's time to go." And I say, "Yes it is."
My daughter and her friend continue on, as normal. She comes over sometimes and they talk on the phone a lot. About a week later, my daughter tells me, her friend said, that her father said, I'm an A-hole. Maybe I am. But he's a retard. I can live with that. Several more weeks pass. Today may daughter calls over there to talk to her friend. Her father answered. "She's not home and tell your dad to google cookie." So I do. Hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. The first listing is wikipedia. I read through it. By the time I'm finished, I'm Ticked off. He's using my daughter to send me messages. I don't say things to his daughter when she's here. So I call him. When he picks up I say "I googled cookies and here's what it says. Being simple pieces of text, cookies are not executable. They are neither spyware nor viruses, although cookies from certain sites are detected by many anti-spyware products because they can allow users to be tracked when they visit various sites." Then I hang up. He calls me back, says some stuff and hangs up. I call him back but he doesn't answer the phone. So I leave a message insulting him. Something about, any retard can get into Ivy Tech. By this point, I'm mad enough where I don't really remember what I said anymore. I just know he called back again and it was just a cussing match.
I pretty sure I'm turning into a crotchety old man as I get older. I just don't have the patience to put up with idiots any more. If you want to be an ignorant dufus, I don't care. Just don't come to my house and send messages through my daugher arguing about things I know a little something about. Am I wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2009 15:11 #1651 by Reaper
Sounds like you need to make a batch of cookies, send them to him with a note: "DO NOT EAT, BAD FOR YOU!!!"

More
27 Dec 2009 15:54 #1652 by Twodavez
Make sure he doesn't put the batch of cookies by his computer, they might infect it and give him a virus, although he apprently has a program that takes care of them.
All i know Nacelle is that you seem to get into arguements over some random stuff, i don't think it's you, because you always seem like a plesent person at LAN's and your a gracious host when you have the party, but maybe you just don't lay down like the rest of us when someone is wrong and you enjoy calling people out on their shit. Nothing wrong with that, so long as you have the facts to back them up, and from what i can tell you do.
You even know more about Intel boards and chipsets than the Intel rep at NeXuS lan :-)
Keep fighting the good fight, but remember to pick your battles wisely and just because you can't stand your daughters friend's dad, doesn't mean that your daughters friend is a bad person...
Good luck!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
27 Dec 2009 17:20 #1653 by Nacelle

Twodavez wrote: All i know Nacelle is that you seem to get into arguements over some random stuff

I do don't I.

Twodavez wrote: maybe you just don't lay down like the rest of us when someone is wrong and you enjoy calling people out on their shit. Nothing wrong with that, so long as you have the facts to back them up, and from what i can tell you do.

Yea, I guess it's a fault of mine. I'm always willing to admit I was wrong or uninformed on a subject. But If I know I'm not, that's another story. I don't know if any of you listen to the "Security Now" podcast. But Steve has discussed in depth about how cookies work. And how 3rd party cookies are used. So I consider myself somewhat informed on the subject.

Twodavez wrote: just because you can't stand your daughters friend's dad, doesn't mean that your daughters friend is a bad person...

Like I said, I never bring it up when she's here. It's not her fault. She is, like the rest of my duaghter's friends, an annoying little kid. She called our house at 12am, after we got back from Christmas with the family. It's one thing for her to call half a dozen times in one evening. But don't call late.

More
27 Dec 2009 19:28 #1654 by Twodavez
Gosh, i can't wait for my baby girl to get older and have annoying friends :-)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
29 Dec 2009 05:50 #1657 by garfi3ld
I think idiots bother him more than everyone else. I have a high tolerance, look at where I work ;)

Wes

We have 1890 guests and no members online

supportus