Spiral Knights and F2P gaming

More
31 Jul 2013 06:34 #31933 by Leonresevil2
I know, no one will know what it is, and probably no one will care. Not trying to pull people in, it's a good game with one of the nicest communities I've seen but I'm cool with playing solo there.

Anyway, I'm posting to talk about how this game has put forth a massive overhaul patch with major changes and new content.
forums.spiralknights.com/en/node/84730
forums.spiralknights.com/en/node/84873

I find it amazing that this game can be successful as F2P (I've never put any money in, and these new changes will actually enable me to not put money in the future), AND they have heavily supported it over 2 years with several content updates. Meanwhile, Tribes comes and goes in a year while having many more players (and that's a game I actually put money in previously).

So, it seems like F2P games can be successful in many ways, even without masses of players. I do think F2P has limitations, as there is only so much time available and if every game wants you to play daily or even weekly, there's only so many that can make the cut.

How do you determine which free games to try/play?
Do you expect a F2P server-based game to last a particular length of time? Does that time require content updates and support, or just functionality (Tribes scenario of no patches but still running)?
What do you think when your game gets massive overhauls? Your thoughts when you basically need to relearn the game?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We have 3901 guests and no members online

supportus