Adventures in troubleshooting BF3 Lag

More
30 Apr 2012 06:11 #24853 by cytog64
I remember thinking, when I built this desktop last year "Tog ol Boy, you are building quite the beast."

Asus ROG Gene III mATX
Intel I7 960
8GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 Ram
Diamond ATI 6970 2GB pciE
OCZ Agility 120GB SSD
ThermalTake Toughpower 750W

Naturally, when the latest game in my favorite series, Battlefield, hit the stores, I had it day-one. It played like crap! As an early adopter of most technologies, I accepted the risk and signed it off as bad software and would patiently wait for a patch to make the game playable. Unfortunately, I still have the video lag problems.

This video shows someone having a similar experience:

I have been reading a great many threads, posts, etc...here are some of the common and not so common things I have tried-

1. Set BF3.exe process priority to High or Real Time (task manager right click option)
a. I didn't even know this existed in Win7, neato, but it didn't fix the issue

2. Define Processor Core Affinity for BF3 from 8 to 7...1 core(Task Manager right click) option)
a. Holy crap...that is a cool setting...defining core priority and all...didn't work.

3. Turn off Hyper Threading (aka go to 4 physical cores only)
a. God I love my Asus ROG Gene III, that was a super easy setting to find in the BIOS, but that wasn't the fix either

4. Update your Video drivers
a. huh, probably should have done that first...Catalyst 12.3 is the latest right...nope 12.4 is...ok installed...not the fix as well

5. Lower your graphic settings.
a. already turned off motion blur and vsync...these are usually the first to go with these games
b. I hate doing this, but I feel like I am running out of options...1440x900...nope...1366x768...sorry...1024x768 (gettign desparate) no way jose...640x480 (AHHHHH MY EYES)...still laggin!

6. Try random Console commands...
a. hmmmmmm tilde key...
These are kinda neat
render.drawfps 1
render.perfoverlayvisible 1
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1 (This setting controls the number of frames prepared by the CPU before being processed by the GPU)
RenderDevice.TrippleBufferingEnable 0
b. interesting thread = forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-...h-pure-goodness.html

My next troubleshooting step...
buying a 680GTX....because I can...and I wanted a bad excuse to do so : )

In 15 days I won't be playing BF3 anyways. It is time for Diablo 3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2012 07:22 #24854 by Dreyvas
Stuff like this can be maddening to troubleshoot, I feel your pain. For me it's source engine games hiccuping/stuttering when loading new sounds, usually causes a 1-2 second hitch. Not quite gamebreaking like this seems to be, but annoying as fuck and will definitely get you killed if it occurs during a firefight.

More
30 Apr 2012 07:50 #24855 by Wingcmdr77
you could try iobit's gamebooster. www.iobit.com. it might help, turns off back ground services
to optimize game play.

More
30 Apr 2012 07:59 #24856 by renegade
Assume you tried this but does it lag at lan parties eg on another connection? The PC should not be causing that. Router, connection?

More
30 Apr 2012 07:59 #24857 by Dreyvas

Wingcmdr77 wrote: you could try iobit's gamebooster. www.iobit.com. it might help, turns off back ground services
to optimize game play.

Ehhhhhh. Seems like this would only help if were an issue of his PC being borderline up to spec. It doesn't seem like he should have problems like this at all with that hardware.

More
30 Apr 2012 08:06 - 30 Apr 2012 08:06 #24858 by Arxon
Ok watching that video made my eyes hurt... Maybe an anti-virus is causing the problems?

I know the install I got from you at lanoc works fine for me.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2012 08:06 by Arxon.

More
30 Apr 2012 17:08 #24859 by THUMPer
I have 0 issues playing

2500k @ 4.5
8GB RAMSSSSS
ATI 5870
Patriot SSD.

My only real gripe is the CLIENT SIDE HIT DETECTION. I'm tired of getting shot, when on my screen I am CLEARLY behind cover. I have gotten so fast at shooting and then hiding it's unreal.
I don't know how this game works with pings, but my pings are generally in the 30's or below.

I should get a video of this, but I have been shot while I am behind a wall it's maddening. And makes me not even like the game. COD4 had better hit detection, and that's mediocre depending on the server.

More
30 Apr 2012 18:31 #24860 by drpain
It's DICE, their netcode has always been terrible. Kind of a running joke with them to be honest haha. I remember how bad Vietnam and then BF2 was before they had like 6 patches to fix it.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
30 Apr 2012 20:22 #24863 by garfi3ld
Does the game lag like this when you are playing in single player?

Wes

More
01 May 2012 02:56 #24886 by Myndmelt
Yeah did you check or try disabling your anit-virus while playing? Maybe there is an update for your network card or chipset driver you could try. Have you tried rebooting your router?

More
02 May 2012 07:23 #24902 by cytog64
One of my solutions fixed the problem, though I am not sure which one. I have enjoyed the last 2 days.

I was having this issue everywhere including LAN parties.

More
02 May 2012 07:28 #24903 by garfi3ld
you had the same issue in single player? I'm only curious because this pinpoints it to be a pc performance issue or something on the NIC/firewall side

Wes

We have 1819 guests and no members online

supportus