MW3 PC dedicated servers may not be ranked

More
19 Oct 2011 06:15 #20462 by Dreyvas
beefjack.com/news/modern-warfare-3-pc-de...s-may-not-be-ranked/

WTF? I wanted to like this game, I really did. They're just making that very tough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2011 06:53 #20464 by Arxon
I could careless about ranked crap. I play for fun.

More
19 Oct 2011 07:01 #20465 by Wingless92
Key Word "MAY"

With Battlefield not getting any love from me MW3 has my attention.

More
19 Oct 2011 07:13 #20466 by Dreyvas
Key words: The devs wouldn't answer.

Rankings don't matter to me either, but you wouldn't even get XP if you're playing on dedicated servers if this is true. Having to play P2P to rank up and unlock weapons? That's just bullshit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
19 Oct 2011 08:56 #20467 by Arxon
Now that is bs

Sent from my Transformer TF101

More
19 Oct 2011 16:23 #20469 by THUMPer
they always get ya. IW NET will live on....FAIL
but once you rank up and get some guns, then who cares? I did the same thing in black ops. Ranked up then played unranked search and destroy

More
19 Oct 2011 17:58 #20470 by renegade
Fully expected that only rented servers would rank you up, and local dedicated servers would not allow it as way to easy to hack the local one to allow ranking up to max in 1 kill etc.

Was the same way with alot of games on the local dedicated servers.

More
20 Oct 2011 00:17 #20482 by THUMPer
hook line sinker. just like bf3 and their DLC... mmmm capitalism.

More
20 Oct 2011 20:22 #20484 by Leonresevil2
I love the freedom to buy none of them, and get a bundle of indie games at the same price.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
22 Oct 2011 05:10 - 22 Oct 2011 05:11 #20500 by renegade
From the MW3 faq located at - community.callofduty.com/thread/4682

Will Modern Warfare 3 have Dedicated Servers?

Yes! Modern Warfare 3 supported matchmaking as well as Dedicated Servers, allowing players to find and filter via an in-game server browser or set-up their own Dedicated Server for complete control, without being restricted by any 3rd party hosting requirements. If looking for a Dedicated Server to join, if you choose not to set up your own, you can filter and favorite by Ping, Map, Gametype, Hardcore Variants, Voice, Password, and many other options.

Are Dedicated Servers Ranked or UnRanked?

Only matchmaking to public games are Ranked (meaning, you have to rank up to unlock weapons to rank on the leaderboards), choosing to play on a Dedicated Server is UnRanked. Meaning unlocks are completely controlled by the Server Admin. They can choose to unlock everything or limit class restrictions to whatever they like to fully customize the experience. You do not have to rank up in Public games to have access to weapons in Dedicated Servers, you have complete control over what is unlocked for you in a Unranked Dedicated Server.

This is perfect news for using MW3 at mini and large lans. No need for inet servers, play local and unlock everything. All players will have all the same perks, weapons etc. So the match comes down to pure skill. And we can turn off annoying perks or weapons etc as well!
Last edit: 22 Oct 2011 05:11 by renegade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3

• Kelf
  • Hear reason, or she'll make you feel her.
More
22 Oct 2011 06:25 #20501 by Kelf
For those that will be playing this that sounds like a pretty sweet compromise.

More
22 Oct 2011 07:10 #20504 by Leonresevil2
Also kinda sounds like matchmaking may not have many players, if matchmaking = grind and dedicated = server unlocks. But not a bad thing.
Still never buying it.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
22 Oct 2011 09:48 #20505 by garfi3ld
Personally like all of the games, I will be waiting until its out to decide if im going to get it. I don't know how you guys have decided to get it or not get it without seeing what the game will be like.

Wes

More
22 Oct 2011 21:33 - 22 Oct 2011 21:46 #20507 by Leonresevil2
I actually expect this game to have a bit less life and players, due to the fact that you won't really be leveling up most of the time. With less rewards to look forward to, some players won't put in as much time. Beginners that see that servers are based on skill, and feel they have reached their skill cap, may not bother trying further.
We often don't like the grind, but somehow the grind keeps us involved.

But they sure are showing a lot of what is in the single-player mode. Story looks interesting.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 22 Oct 2011 21:46 by Leonresevil2.

More
24 Oct 2011 23:11 #20528 by garfi3ld
Modern Warfare single player has always been great, even though most consider it to be short

Wes

More
06 Nov 2011 09:41 #20766 by Dreyvas
community.callofduty.com/thread/4682

Confirmed, no ranking up on dedicated servers. That really blows, since ranking up is always what keeps me coming back to CoD multiplayer. Ugh.

More
06 Nov 2011 19:36 - 06 Nov 2011 19:37 #20768 by Wingless92
Can't wait to play with everyone at the LAN.

As for not ranking up on dedicated servers, I could care less. What keeps me coming back to COD is that its easy to play. With TF2 which I really do like and Battlefield if you run and gun on your own you are going to get the crap kicked out of you. But if you have a team of 4 or 5, work together and talk to each other, you will probably own the map and win. Great if your in one of those groups, sucks if your not.

They are two totally different games though. I have enjoyed the single player story in the COD cause they are short. I can get thru them in a couple of sittings and move on. I don't have time in my lifestyle to sit down with a Skyrim and invest 100 hours. Sure, the game might be awesome but i'm only going to play about 10 hours and that's it.

On the other side of this argument is will the launch be like BloPs? That game was hell when it came out. I made that short video, put it on YouTube and now it has 38k views. The lag was really bad at the beginning but it was fixed and now plays super smooth.

Hopefully this time they will support, Eyefinity/Surround so I don't have to run Widescreen Fixer with COD games, they probably won't just because you get a huge advantage but I can always hope.

What is the thought of doing a LanOC server again? Good idea? Bad idea? what is your thoughts?
Last edit: 06 Nov 2011 19:37 by Wingless92.

More
06 Nov 2011 23:46 #20771 by Dreyvas
I also would have major doubts about the release of this game. They've really put the PC version on the back burner. Might turn out to be awesome, but this won't be a midnight launch day purchase for me, if at all. Going to wait and see.

More
06 Nov 2011 23:53 #20772 by Wingless92
I will be doing a full performance review on release day. I just want to see how it runs compared to the BloPs launch.

Hopefully this will return to the good ol' days of COD4. Freaking love that game.

I hope they do a mission like "Death From Above" aka the C130 gunship mission. That was by far one of the best missions in all of the COD's. I would put the "All Ghillied Up" mission a close second.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
07 Nov 2011 03:21 #20775 by Dreyvas
Awesome, I look forward to your writeup.

More
07 Nov 2011 08:07 #20779 by Wingless92
Game just got a small update, it's not listed in the News section of Steam but it was small, like 11mb.

More
08 Nov 2011 19:36 #20799 by THUMPer
Game dropped. HARD

No user controlled FPS
no com_max fps, no cg_draw fps. no lean. You're probably locked to 60 FPS. Shell of a former self. COD4, World at War were the last good COD games. I played Black Ops for a while, then got bored.
BF3, origin or not seems much better than MW3.
oh ya, looks like they also reused a COD4 BUILDING

More
08 Nov 2011 19:49 #20800 by garfi3ld
I would love to hear more responses

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Wes

More
09 Nov 2011 04:53 #20816 by Dreyvas
Same here, surely some of you guys have some multiplayer time in?

More
09 Nov 2011 07:38 #20819 by Myndmelt
Still downloading. It should be ready in about an hour.

More
09 Nov 2011 08:03 - 09 Nov 2011 08:24 #20820 by Wingless92

THUMPer wrote: Game dropped. HARD

No user controlled FPS
no com_max fps, no cg_draw fps. no lean. You're probably locked to 60 FPS. Shell of a former self. COD4, World at War were the last good COD games. I played Black Ops for a while, then got bored.
BF3, origin or not seems much better than MW3.
oh ya, looks like they also reused a COD4 BUILDING

Plays just like COD4, MW2.

Much better launch then BloPs.

FPS is locked at 91 just like all of the other COD games.

No lean is still there but I never used it anyway.
Last edit: 09 Nov 2011 08:24 by Wingless92.

More
09 Nov 2011 14:14 #20825 by Plague
I played for about an hour today. To me it plays like COD4 and Black Ops. I wasn't having as much problem with not seeing people as I have had with Black Ops, but I think it was just the maps.

More
09 Nov 2011 18:24 #20831 by renegade
While the learning curve for figuring out how to configure and get running a dedicated server was HIGH, I think I have it down and I can start making scripts for each game mode, and consider what to use for the tournament.

If anyone has suggestions on rules etc I am all ears. Right now I know one round will be Dom, and all rounds will be hardcore mode. Past that I have not set in stone anything turned off, on, etc.

More
09 Nov 2011 18:30 #20832 by Myndmelt
Last night Arxon, Wingless, Myself and then later Wooderson were playing and I thought the new maps were pretty fun. I think by default on most monitors you are going to want to increase the in-game brightness. at least it seemed the same to me on both Xbox and pc that by default it was a bit dark and hard to see the guys. Also I have played the Campaign a bit on 360 and its awesome. I cant wait to jump in with someone and do some of the Spec-op co-op missions.

More
09 Nov 2011 22:13 #20835 by Arxon
Mynd today around 4 we can play some of that if ya want.

We have 2837 guests and no members online

supportus