DOTA vs LoL vs HoN

More
10 Sep 2011 21:07 - 10 Sep 2011 21:29 #19729 by garfi3ld
DOTA vs LoL vs HoN was created by garfi3ld
This discussion has been brought up many times but never addressed directly. Even looking online I can't find one good conversation on the differences between the three games. We all have different opinions but I would be really interested in seeing pro's and cons listed and discussed from each game. When you post please also post up what game you prefer and how much time you have played each of the game

For example for me I would put this

Preference: HoN
Experience 0-10
DOTA: 4/10
LoL: 1/10
HoN: 6/10

Lets keep the discussion civil please. Everyone is allowed to enjoy the game they prefer. I just would love to see the reasoning behind the great deivid that is the Action real-time strategy (Action RTS) and Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) Genre's. If we get enough information posted up we could maybe compile it into an article comparing the differences

Wes
Last edit: 10 Sep 2011 21:29 by garfi3ld.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2011 21:14 #19730 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic Re: DOTA vs LoL vs HoN
No love for Demigod? :P

Experience
DOTA: None
LoL: None
HoN: None

I've scarcely even played Demigod, so I'm not too familiar with the genre apart from that.
I am a big fan of MNC, which isn't too different from this style.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
10 Sep 2011 21:31 #19731 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: DOTA vs LoL vs HoN
without getting into it to much I wouldn't include MNC in this discussion. It may have the same tug of war style of gameplay but its far to different to be able to compare in this situation. As for Demigod, frankly noone has even posted about it in so long I forgot about it all together.

Wes

More
11 Sep 2011 02:09 #19732 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: DOTA vs LoL vs HoN
Preference: LoL

LoL - 8/10
HoN - 5/10
DotA - 3/10

Game Speed:
LoL - Slower game speed, Team fights are just as fast on all 3, but LoL with their more basie graphics allows for more thought and understanding especially in early game. Lanes are better defined.

HoN - Things seem to happen faster than can be comprehended

DotA - Because this game was based off the Warcraft III engine, the game speed really wasn't taken into account so it can't be blamed

Dealth Re-cap:
LoL - Shows all damage done in the last fight to show what killed you and what type of damage it was

HoN - Nothing, just a big LOOSER across the screen :-(

DotA - Nothing also

Items -
LoL - Recommended items, then a really detailed split out of items and what they do. I really like this format better than the rest, it's simple and the stat modifiers are strait forward as there are only a few (Crit, Damage, Physical/Magic Damage reduction, Attack speed)

HoN - Recommended items are good, but there are just too many options and stats to keep track of for a newer person (Str, Int, Crit, Damage...) While true to the Dota style of "shops" and divisions of items, it's not that user friendly. Support should be defense... Polymorph? Huh?

Dota - Revolutionary at the time, but very confusing building items, secret shop doesn't help the process, but again for the limited mod, it's pretty cool

Internet game play -
LoL & HoN have good team builders and are built for online game play.

Dota - Basically LAN only game play especially since the community for this game has adopted HoN or LoL for their game play for this style of game

Free-to-Play -
All these games are free to play (Well not really Dota, you should have to buy Warcraft III, but if you don't have a friend with it already, FAIL!)

Level Game Play -
LoL - has the ability to have special spells and Runes that based upon level and time played can give an advantage before the game even starts. This includes boosting anything from Crit Change, to mana Regen to overall Health. The Spells come Automatically with level up, where the Runes can only be purchased with points gained through game play

HoN - Every time the game starts, everyone is equal, not outside boosts are allowed or available.

Dota - Just like HoN, no outside ability to buff character prior to game start.

Character Picks -
LoL - each team picks from available champs, duplicate champs can be used, but not until the loading screen when both teams are locked in, does the other team learn of the opponets team build.

HoN - Difference game styles are available, but the most used is a Free pick, where both teams pick from the same available characters and only one instance of each character can be on the map at a time, no duplicates.

Dota - Each faction has their own set of characters and only one instance of each character can be present on the map at a time.

That's my basic understanding, please feel free to add, subtract, or correct anything that's incorrect.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
11 Sep 2011 06:53 #19734 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Re: DOTA vs LoL vs HoN
I will be posting mine tomorrow.

More
11 Sep 2011 21:48 #19741 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: DOTA vs LoL vs HoN
thanks guys keep them coming

Wes

More
12 Sep 2011 19:23 #19761 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re: DOTA vs LoL vs HoN
At first I thought this WAS my article. The first few sentences are almost exactly how I started mine... ;)
I also spent some good time last weekend playing Demigod, and I must say it really could've been a hit with a bit more polish. It changes the lane concepts, goals, pacing, and meta-game, while still being in the genre. (And personally, if MNC was an overhead camera and had a mini-map, I think more people would call it the MOBA it is.)
Anyway, on-topic:

Preference: LoL ... MNC, Demigod too

DOTA: 1/10 (2 matches)
LoL: 9/10 (350+)
HoN: 5/10 (6)

Short version: LoL adds in some new tactical aspects, works to patch and change the meta, and remains accessible without being super-easy. I'm not sure about HoN's balance and difficulty, since I've had decent luck with my champ choices. HoN feels a bit like some old custom CS server with UT99 sound effect files, which just feels out of place personally.
DotA is truly inhibited by the mod status, and has developed to the point where beginners aren't likely to do well, and major overhauls won't occur. Even Dota2 will be limited as such, as people expect certain things from "Dota", just the way they expect CS to be CS, and CoD to be CoD. If CoD suddenly became more tactical and realistic, people would be mad, the same way any changes to Dota would be received. LoL and the others have the advantage of new names, fresh perspectives, and no preconceived expectations.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

We have 1880 guests and no members online

supportus