Defense of the Ancients

More
13 Nov 2009 20:27 #1219 by Lersar
Anyone else know about this?

Defense of the Ancients (DotA) is a custom scenario for the real-time strategy video game Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and its expansion, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, based on the "Aeon of Strife" map for StarCraft. The objective of the scenario is for each team to destroy the opponents' Ancients, heavily guarded structures at opposing corners of the map. Players use powerful units known as heroes, and are assisted by allied heroes and AI-controlled fighters called "creeps". As in role-playing games, players level up their hero and use gold to buy equipment during the mission.

Since its release, Allstars has become a feature at several worldwide tournaments, including Blizzard Entertainment's BlizzCon and the Asian World Cyber Games, as well as the Cyberathlete Amateur and CyberEvolution leagues; Gamasutra declared that DotA was perhaps the most popular "free, non-supported game mod in the world".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2009 21:10 #1220 by Twodavez
Yeah, we were playing the new version "Hero's of Newerth" at the last LAN OC event. My friend Daveyo has a few beta keys and he plays tons online!
I know that the IU Gamers LAN is going to have enough Beta keys for everyone who comes along with prizes and 2 reps from C2 (the company who made HoN). It's a really fun game and i kinda wish we wouldn't found it prior to Demigod as it's the same style game, but it seems to be more balanced and thought out.
If you like Demigod, you should look into this game!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
14 Nov 2009 00:26 #1225 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic RE: Defense of the Ancients
I hope it's better than League of Legends.

More
14 Nov 2009 00:55 #1226 by jj_Sky5000
Dota has been around for years!!!!! it was really big on college campuses

More
14 Nov 2009 03:00 #1228 by Twodavez
JJ, it would be nice if you could grab a few extra Beta Keys for Nacelle and a few of the other guys who might be interested in playing, and we can have a how to seminar from Daveyo who plays all day every day! He's really good, and there are lots of difference from Demigod, which i think make the game more fun and less complicated...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
14 Nov 2009 05:30 #1229 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic RE: Defense of the Ancients
If it's not too late grab a key for me too :-)

More
14 Nov 2009 14:41 #1232 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic RE: Defense of the Ancients
Ditto, I'd be interested.

More
14 Nov 2009 22:46 #1235 by jj_Sky5000
I got 15 HON beta keys . I have to find them now

More
15 Nov 2009 00:28 #1238 by Shibumi
Replied by Shibumi on topic RE: Defense of the Ancients
Mmmm beta keys :D

More
15 Nov 2009 02:48 #1241 by jj_Sky5000
PM me your email and I will send you one.

More
15 Nov 2009 06:44 #1243 by Twodavez
That's awesome. Try to save 10 or so for the LAN In columbia City, Maybe we can get a instructional seminar from Daveyo on how to play since he's actually bought the game...

More
16 Nov 2009 01:14 #1247 by jj_Sky5000
HON website is still haveing issues as soon as they fixed thier beta key email system I will send the keys. I spoke with the rep and he said they are fixing it and should be done soon.

More
16 Nov 2009 02:54 #1250 by Twodavez
Daveyo has a theory that they are going to keep the game in BETA for a while... most people have still bought the game, but they sure are passing out the keys like candy on halloween to everyone to get them hooked... It's a good strategy i think!

More
16 Nov 2009 17:13 #1253 by Letter3
Replied by Letter3 on topic RE: Defense of the Ancients
I have HoN installed, but have not played it yet. I have been playing LoL, though and enjoy it. I have never played Dota. HoN appears to be a lot prettier than LoL with respect to details in the environment and characters, but like I said I have only installed and updated HoN because my friends have all been playing LoL instead.

I am down for either game at the LAN.

More
16 Nov 2009 18:26 #1254 by Twodavez
Is LoL free? the thing with HoN is that you start your character over each time, there is no over time growth like it looks like there is in LoL. It's more like Demigod, but without the special items you can start with.

More
18 Nov 2009 22:21 #1288 by jj_Sky5000
Keys have been Sent out!!!!

More
19 Nov 2009 01:04 #1289 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic RE: Defense of the Ancients
Got mine, thanks bud!

More
19 Nov 2009 02:11 #1290 by Nacelle
I played a round against Vulture. I think League of Legends is a better game. Though there's not much different between the two. Demigod is the only one the three that isn't just a clone of DotA.

More
19 Nov 2009 17:59 #1292 by Twodavez
I think that's the idea is that it's an updated Clone. League of Legends is by the original people, but HoN is a spin off using teh same idea. It's a whole different way of playing than Demigod. I haven't played League of Legends or DotA so i do'nt really have anything to compair it to. I just know it's gaining on popularity andi think might be a up-in-comer to the LAN circut.

More
19 Nov 2009 23:01 #1294 by Nacelle
You must get LoL then. It seem a little more fleshed out. Who cares if the graphics aren't quite as good.

We have 1836 guests and no members online

supportus