LAN OC Summer Case Mod Contest: Claptrap WorkLog

More
03 May 2010 22:41 - 30 Sep 2010 19:46 #5370 by CrazyBillyBob
So The Rough version of my case showed up for LAN OC V6.0 Some of you all liked it others not so much.... Either way it was far from finished! So in the Immortal words of Paul Harvey Here is the rest of the story!

Claptrap Is sporting a GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 Motherboard with an AMD Phenom X4 9850 Quad Core CPU. The CPU is Cooled by a Corsair H50 water cooler. Graphics are handled by a SAPPHIRE 100251SR Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB. 8Gb of Corsair XMS2 ram help out. A Maxtor 500Gb and a Seagate 1Tb Hard drives Round out the Storage. All of this is powered by a CoolerMaster 750W PSU.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2010 19:46 by CrazyBillyBob. Reason: update specs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2010 22:51 #5374 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:Claptrap WorkLog
Sweet, looking forward to seeing it finished in person.

Also looking forward to seeing the worklog

Wes

More
03 May 2010 23:17 #5377 by CrazyBillyBob
Replied by CrazyBillyBob on topic Re:Claptrap WorkLog
The First step was to gather many, many, many screen caps of the different ClapTraps in Borderlands. From them I was able to create a model in CAD so that I could cut out all the pieces at the same scale.

The outside of the case is made of 1/4" Plywood.

A rough outline of the parts were cut from a large sheet, thus making them more manageable and it easier to cut accurately.

1 by 2's reinforce the corners and side cutouts to distribute the weight and strengthen the case. All the joints are glued for strength, and then nailed together with brads just to hold till the glue sets.

Once the outer shape has dried, the front cutouts are made using a Jig saw. It's a bit more difficult to cut on a compound angle but it helps make sure that the details are centered.

This is where I'll leave it for now.... More later!

More
04 May 2010 12:39 #5390 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re:Claptrap WorkLog
+ Karma for sharing this info..

More
04 May 2010 17:24 #5406 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic Re:Claptrap WorkLog
Don't know what a Claptrap is, but +kudos for modding from scratch.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
04 May 2010 17:35 #5411 by Davey_Boy
Replied by Davey_Boy on topic Re:Claptrap WorkLog
Claptrap from borderlands :P

More
04 May 2010 20:31 #5424 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:Claptrap WorkLog
NitrosDragon wrote:

Don't know what a Claptrap is, but +kudos for modding from scratch.

Fail, good sir! :lol:

More
04 May 2010 23:01 #5438 by CrazyBillyBob
To help those of you that don't know what a CL4P-TP (Clap Trap) is, I've added a pic into the first post in this here worklog so take a second and check it out ;)

CBB

More
05 May 2010 00:12 #5446 by CrazyBillyBob
When I first started to design the case I was going to mount the Motherboard directly to the back wall of the case. As I went into the build phase of the case I realized this would limit many of my component choices due to size and the wheel in the middle of every thing. So I revisited the "Mounting Plate" that I used for my Pak N Play mod.
It's basically a 1/8"+ thick plate of Aluminum (6061) With tapped holes for Stand offs and a custom HDD and PSU mount.

I wanted to increase the amount of storage I had, so the Drive rack was expanded to hold Two standard HDD One on top of another. The Second Drive is a 1Tb Seagate This gives me 1.5Tb internal on Cl4p-TP.

With the Change to the Plate I had to add a plate mount to the case. This was accomplished with a piece of 1"x6" Pine running across the case about 1/4 of the way down (half way down the stripe) This also had the added bonus of giving me a solid place to mount the wheel strut to later!

Just for Fun I stuck the wheel in there to get a feel for the size of the case (the wheel is 10" in Dia and 3.25" across)

Some of the details are key points that help align other features so I wanted to get them in early... So I started with the main Eye and the bit of detail below it.

Before I could start on the Lid I needed to level the ledge around the top out (this is one of those little mistakes. I didn't think about the sides being angles so I glued the top supports in @ 90 degrees that would make designing the top which has like 3 different faces on it even harder to make...) So I cut out a rectangle that fit inside the case then cut the center out a little glue and some brads and we have a flat surface to work from!

Ok, at this point I was a bad Modder, I forgot the camera on 2 of the days we worked on this project.... The Day we made the wheel mount, and the day we cut the side rails for the top :( Those were important days so I've got some leftovers from the lid, and can piece together some of the Wheel mount stuff so I'm going to do my best to "recreate" the missing days, it will just take me some time because, it was all done at my buddy's shop, and I'll not be back there for a few days... but I will fill you in!

CBB

More
13 Jun 2010 01:38 #6566 by CrazyBillyBob
Hold just a little longer boys!! an update is coming.
Life has gotten in the way of my updates! Between helping out friends, looking for work, planning an update of my mod website, and getting ready to start dealing with the divorce lawyers... and having a new mod kitten that needs a bottle every 3to 5 hours (cute little guy!...Yes,Yes you want pics I know) I've not had much time to re-stage the shots I missed, or even get any further on my details for the cooling system. Hopefully I'll get something done soon, I really need the time to relax and get all Zen in my mod!

Till next time!
CBB

More
30 Sep 2010 18:12 #9847 by CrazyBillyBob
So One of the Next things I did was to Create Claptrap's Unicycle style wheel.
It's load bearing so it has to be strong, but easy to bend..... Black Steel Gas/Water Pipe that's the ticket!

Balancing on one wheel would be tough to pull off. So I came up with a novel Stealthish Kick-Stand.

I'm still missing pics of the Bending of both parts...but moving on.

I welded a plate across the top to give plenty of surface to spread out the load and bolt to the wooden cross brace. Then a couple of coats of 1200degree Ceramic Flat black paint (it's what I had on hand that day).

Next step on to the Lid.

More
30 Sep 2010 18:40 #9848 by CrazyBillyBob
You would think that The Lid would be the Easy part right...A large flat Rectangle.

Your in correct. I made the lid like you make cabinet doors. The outer edges are solid wood and the center of the part is plywood. Why did I do it this way. Because the Edge of the lid has a crazy profile. It has an outer lip so the lid can sit down on the base, an inner lip for the plywood (this allows the whole top to be flat), and the out 1/3 of the rail is cut on an angle. Toss in the angle cuts for nice corners and you have lots of angles to work with.

Here's a look at the profile (cross section) of the lid rail.

To cut down on the fasteners you can see (and angle holes to drill (screw up)) I used Biscuits to join the corners.

A Biscuit is just a little football shaped piece of plywood, that is designed to fit into a slot you cut into adjoining pieces of wood. The plywood will swell a little when you cover it in glue between the glue and swelling you get a nice tight bond and it's hidden inside the wood.
Here's the Lid Rails and styles glued together.

The piece of plywood was cut to fit snugly into the lid frame's lip.
I used Gorilla Glue to join the two parts... and lots of weights to hold everything while it dried.

A little wood putty and sanding smooths everything out.

What to post next??

More
01 Oct 2010 07:42 - 01 Dec 2010 23:04 #9863 by CrazyBillyBob
Here's the final pics.

Last edit: 01 Dec 2010 23:04 by garfi3ld.

More
01 Oct 2010 07:51 #9866 by CrazyBillyBob
With the Top done it's time to work on the bump that will house the water cooler radiator. The hump is a plywood top and solid sides. The vent details will be cut out to allow air flow. First step cut the vents.

Part of the way complete.

Fully cut.

The Vent edging is made out of solid strips of pine.

The solid pieces are cut down for sides, tops and bottoms.

Once glued up this is what the edges look like.

More
01 Oct 2010 08:03 - 01 Dec 2010 23:04 #9870 by CrazyBillyBob
So my website server is down for maint...So I'll attachs pics here. I don't like doing this way but time is not on my side.

Last edit: 01 Dec 2010 23:04 by garfi3ld.

More
10 Oct 2010 07:58 #10188 by ToothNClaw

More
11 Oct 2010 17:39 #10215 by CrazyBillyBob
So I wasn't happy with the worklog here. My Server was down the night the contest entries were due, so I posted pics with no explanation to fulfill the rules. Well I'm going to make it Right!!! I'm uploading all of my missing entries now that the contest is over (wasn't sure I could do it during the contest... and with all the vote questions I didn't want to stir the pot anymore)

So get a cold drink of choice, a samwich and enjoy!!

More
11 Oct 2010 17:40 #10216 by CrazyBillyBob

CrazyBillyBob wrote: So my website server is down for maint...So I'll attachs pics here. I don't like doing this way but time is not on my side.

Thanks Buddy.... You really need to come to LANOC with me next time!!

More
11 Oct 2010 17:43 #10217 by CrazyBillyBob
With the Lid complete The Next step was to get the Arms in place.

The arms are PVC water pipe. The upper arm is 1 3/4" the lower arm is 3/4". The Elbow and Wrist joints are 1/2" and 3/8" socket universals.

BIG PIC

I welded some washers on the ends of 3/8" steel Rod. The other end of the rod was beveled with a grinder and cross drilled for a cotter pin. These Rods go through the 3/4" wood vertical, trough matching holes in the PVC Pipes, and back through the second vertical. This allows the arms to move up and down. A couple of washer and the cotter pin keep the rods from working their way out.

BIG PIC

While I was welding the Rods I also fabricated the hands. I wanted Cl4P-TP to be able to grip things. So I start with a steel spring clamp, an old 3/8" drive Socket (I think it was a 10 or 12mm one). The socket was welded to the back of the Clamp. this allows the hand to be disconnected and repositioned on the end of the arm in more ways than could be done with just the universal alone.

BIG PIC

Once the Socket was welded on The Shields were welded in place. The shields are to give Cl4p-TP's hands the correct look from the game.

BIG PIC

Both hands fully welded.

BIG PIC

CL4P-TP also has Some Sheet metal Shoulder pads and a Steel Eye bill.

I cut the Base parts of these out of 16 gauge Sheet steel and the details were made from 20 Gauge sheet steel.
My Trusty Cordless Jigsaw made short work of the 16 Gauge steel. Tinsnips were needed for the 20 Gauge steel.

BIG PIC

All these parts have a dimpled cover. To make the covers I laid out a staggered grid pattern on the back of the part. On every intersecting line I made a dent with a custom ground cold chisel and a ball-pion hammer.

BIG PIC

Once complete the part was flipped over and you can see how nice and smooth the dimples are.
[img]http://www.Dogh2omods.com/LanImages/ClapTrap/Thm/shoulder detail_THM.JPG[/img] BIG PIC

The Shoulder pads are made of two parts the larger base and the smaller dimpled detail. They run around the edge of the lid so there is an angled bend that needs to be made so they sit flush, both the base and detail have to match on another and the lid.
To do this we used a bending break.

BIG PIC

Here is a look at the Eye Bill all the pieces are setting together before they get welded fast.

BIG PIC

I had to come up with a way to attach the metal parts to the wooden lid. My solution was to weld bolts to the base pieces and use washers and nuts to hold them tight. To do this I cut the heads off some long machine screws. Then I drilled holes the same size as the bolts into the base plates. The bolts were welded from the top, and ground down flush.
Here's how the looked from the bottom.

BIG PIC

The Details were then welded to cover the holes in the base.

BIG PIC

So I've been welding allot on this Project. What am I using? It's a little 110V Lincoln Electric MIG.

BIG PIC

To Mount the Radiator In the Lid hump I needed some Straps. So I settled on some simple T Straps made from Angle aluminum and some flat Aluminum. In typical Hillbilly Fashion... I left the camera in the car for the cutting and welding only pulled it out when things were cooling...oops :(
BIG PIC

Once the Rad was bolted to the angles The Flats were marked, cut to size and screwed down.

BIG PIC

The Front Eye Detail is made from a cereal bowl found at a dollar store. I cut part of it off on the band saw so it would fit correctly, Then Painted it with Black Fusion for plastics.
BIG PIC

The bowl needed an extension so a 2" PVC pipe Coupler joined perfectly to extend the Eye. A bit of Zap a gap to hold it all together.
BIG PIC

To bring everything together A little color. All the Gray and Black Parts are masked off and a base of white primer (2-3 coats), two coats of white paint, followed up with 3 coats of Clap Trap Yellow.
BIG PIC

Paint!!!
The painting Process started with 4-5 coats of Gray Primer that were sanded back and 2-3 more coats were added. Then I attempted to spray the yellow over the gray.... Two coats in Cl4P-TP was a blotchy nasty greenish color. So I hit it with 3-4 coats of white primer. Sanded it back, and covered it with 2-3 coats of flat white paint. Then the Whole thing was painted with 3-4 Coats of Yellow.
After the yellow dried (2 days) I masked off everything but the gray areas on the top and back. This area was given 3 coats of Gray primer.
BIG PIC

BIG PIC

Once the primer dried it was masked off too, and I started with the White stripe. I masked of random spots of random shapes and Sizes. This is to give you the illusion of places the stripe paint has worn through and the base coat is showing. This masking was done with torn blue painters tape.

BIG PIC

BIG PIC

Here's a shot of the hinged metal plates that hang down and cover the arm to body joint.

[url=http://www.Dogh2omods.com/LanImages/ClapTrap/Shooulder_flap_gray_BIG.JPG[/url]

So do you want to see the "Final" Pics ???

CBB

More
11 Oct 2010 17:44 - 11 Oct 2010 17:48 #10218 by CrazyBillyBob
Once all the Paint Dried and the Mask was torn off. THis is what appeared. (Ok so I did paint a few details like cdrom door with a brush before these pics but...)

The Motherboard and cooling system is in place in this photo.
BIG PIC

Here it is Hooked up and turned On.
BIG PIC

and some shots from the sides
BIG PIC
BIG PIC

A quick shot of his bum
BIG PIC

Face Time!
BIG PIC

This is the point I called the mod "Final" for the LANOC.Org case mod contest. But it's not what I wanted... It needs some Lights, some dirt, some patches, and an easier way to hook up the wiring.
So What's a Modder to do? Well I Take my second place mod and keep modding it! Keep watching cause I have more updates coming!

Thanks to everyone that voted in the contest! I couldn't have gotten second without you!!
A Big Thank You goes Out the The Sponsors! Thanks LANOC.org, Cooler Master, Gigabyte, AMD Graphics (formerly ATI), Crucial, and Steel Series!! With out you this Contest wouldn't have Been!

Till the next update!

CBB

Also Look For Cl4p-TP At the Nexus Lan in Dayton, Ohio October 23, 2010
Last edit: 11 Oct 2010 17:48 by CrazyBillyBob.

More
11 Oct 2010 18:56 #10219 by ikem
Replied by ikem on topic Re:Claptrap WorkLog
congrats on the 2nd place, and could use some of the prizes in this.

Nice Job

Ikem

More
11 Oct 2010 21:44 #10225 by booman
Replied by booman on topic Re:Claptrap WorkLog
Congradulations on the win in the LanOC contest. Great work and fun mod!

More
12 Oct 2010 00:50 #10233 by CrazyBillyBob
Thank you!
I hope you stick around here even with the contest ending.
It's always a joy for me to chat with other modders.

Now do I upgrade this mod or start a new one???

CBB

More
20 Oct 2014 18:34 #35780 by CrazyBillyBob
For some reason I'm seeing alot more web traffic on My site from this mod Lately...Wonder Why? :whistle:

Still have it, Sits in the corner of my office at work. There's a new mod in the works... Maybe I'll share it here before the next LANOC Event.... Maybe I'll keep it under wraps till I get there. Who knows. :woohoo: :evil:

More
20 Oct 2014 18:55 #35781 by Deb0
As long as it has room for storage.

More
20 Oct 2014 19:58 #35782 by garfi3ld
Claptrap has a star role in the new game!

Wes

More
20 Oct 2014 20:59 #35783 by Deb0

garfi3ld wrote: Claptrap has a star role in the new game!

He has one in every game. He's basically awesome.

More
20 Oct 2014 21:11 #35784 by garfi3ld
I know :p but this time you can play as him

Wes

More
21 Oct 2014 12:55 #35785 by CrazyBillyBob
My current Character in the new game is Fragtrap. Funny thing is that they make you confirm you want to be a claptrap 3 times before it selects him :)

More
21 Oct 2014 17:47 - 21 Oct 2014 17:49 #35786 by Myndmelt
I'd like to see CL4P-TP at a LANOC sometime.

He does need some blue lights and some grit. Edit: and an antenna!

Last edit: 21 Oct 2014 17:49 by Myndmelt.

We have 1697 guests and no members online

supportus