So my friend is building a damn fine machine...

• Kurzuul
  • Kurzuul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Press A to barrel roll a somersault.
More
17 May 2014 01:21 #34743 by Kurzuul
pcpartpicker.com/p/3LoKE

BUT he's pretty tech unsavvy. He wanted to put a lot of money into this, and I'm pretty sure I've steered him in the right direction, but I just wanted to ask if anyone saw anything here that I've screwed up?

He wanted to go with Windows 7 rather than 8.1, and I can't blame him. The CPU is not unlocked because he said he's not going to be overclocking it. We put on a different CPU cooler because the reviews said the one that comes with the i7 is terrible.

I was unsure about the RAM speed. 2400 looked to be middle of the road, but I didn't know if that was something we should have went higher on? Also, the power supply. The GPU said it need a 600W; should we have picked a 700W to be safe?

I KNOW I ONLY POST WHEN I NEED THINGS BUT YOU GUYS ARE MORE EXPERIENCED AT THIS

File Attachment:

Xbox Live: Ceffanus
Steam: korbaut
Windows LIVE: aloysis

[WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER AND IS BASICALLY 100% ASSUMPTION.]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2014 09:44 #34744 by garfi3ld
2400MHz ram is actually really fast

A couple notes

Although there isn't anything wrong with the cooler I'm a little surprised he didn't want to go with water cooling or a higher end cooler.

I think a little flexibility in the power supply wouldn't hurt but more importantly I think you should look for a silver or gold rated model if it fits in the budget.

I wouldn't knock windows 8.1 to bad. I hated on it for a long time but when you use it and classic shell to get your start button back its actually faster than Windows 7. (I'm running it on my laptop and also one of the PCs I recently built)

As much as I love the EVGA cards and their warranties, if you are going to go with that board one of the Asus or MSI GTX 780's might match the build better
www.amazon.com/dp/B00DWV3NM6/?tag=lanoc-20
www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIH8OOQ/?tag=lanoc-20

Also the NZXT H440 would be dead sexy with that motherboard and one of the cards above. It would also save a few bucks
www.amazon.com/dp/B00I44EUAK/?tag=lanoc-20

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kurzuul

More
17 May 2014 09:45 #34745 by garfi3ld
also he should consider an SSD

Wes

More
17 May 2014 09:48 #34746 by garfi3ld
You could almost save enough money for a 120GB SSD by going with this hard drive

www.amazon.com/dp/B005T3GRN2/?tag=lanoc-20

(or you could save no money and go with the 4TB version)

Wes

More
17 May 2014 10:03 #34747 by garfi3ld
I just remembered the case I suggested doesn't give you the 5 1/4 drive bay needed for that blu-ray drive. Personally I only need a disc drive for installing windows, so I just use a USB drive across all of my PCs. but if they have a specific use for it beyond that my case suggestion won't work

Wes

More
17 May 2014 10:05 #34748 by garfi3ld
you could save $45 by going to a slightly lower but still more than fast enough ram kit.

www.amazon.com/dp/B00J8E8ZOC/?tag=lanoc-20

Personally I trust kingston more, but that is just me

Wes

More
17 May 2014 10:11 #34749 by garfi3ld
save yourself the trouble with the rebate on the windows disc as well as 2 bucks

www.amazon.com/dp/B00H09BB16/?tag=lanoc-20

Sorry for spamming your post

Wes

More
17 May 2014 17:13 #34750 by Wingcmdr77
I'd second that, just follow his suggestions and frankly after looking at everything that's going to be a really nice Gaming machine! :evil:

More
17 May 2014 19:47 - 17 May 2014 19:47 #34751 by Plague
Hehe Ya Wes' suggestions are great. I like how he stuck to the Red themed parts. :)

Definitely a SSD for boot, he will not regret that.
Last edit: 17 May 2014 19:47 by Plague.

• Kurzuul
  • Kurzuul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Press A to barrel roll a somersault.
More
20 May 2014 22:58 #34771 by Kurzuul
Cheesus, Wes, that was insanely helpful. I hadn't recommended 8 to him (it's what i use) because I didn't know what 8 had over 7 since I never used it. We switched over to 8.1 for him.

We switched over to the Seagate drive, switched to the slower ram, and added on a 120gb SSD, all great ideas haha

Stayed with the graphics card because he really wanted the free copy of Watch Dogs too.

We didn't switch cases because he actually already has that, and he just wanted to use it instead of buying a new one.

Also, he wanted the optical drive because he's very into movies, shows, etc. TELEVISION MANG.

Also, he chose to go with blue ram, probably just to spite you :L

but yes, thank you very much man. I'll have to drag him to the next lan so he can be all I KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS but secretly he DOES NOT

File Attachment:

Xbox Live: Ceffanus
Steam: korbaut
Windows LIVE: aloysis

[WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER AND IS BASICALLY 100% ASSUMPTION.]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
21 May 2014 01:51 #34773 by garfi3ld
glad it worked out, no worries on the red. I just noticed my suggestions had a red theme so I stuck with it. Might as well keep it looking good.

Wes

More
21 May 2014 02:12 #34774 by Dreyvas
I didn't read this whole topic, but make sure to also post it on r/buildapc for additional insight. :3

We have 2090 guests and one member online

supportus