Time to retire the laptop. NEW BUILD. Also, help?

• Kurzuul
  • Kurzuul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Press A to barrel roll a somersault.
More
31 Jan 2014 03:48 #33829 by Kurzuul
After 6 long years of service, I've decided to finally give my laptop a break. He's a trooper.
A really old and senile trooper. Made of computer. And things.

YEAH

I've put together this setup (I admit, I cheated a little but shhhh)

pcpartpicker.com/user/aloysis/saved/3BcN

It all looks right to me, but this is the first time I've put something together like this so I was hoping you guys could maybe take a look and make sure I didn't do something stupid.

I was going to use the case I won at the LAN a while back:
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119240

That's the main thing I'm concerned about; I'm not sure if everything will fit. I'm not even sure how to know how to know.

File Attachment:

Xbox Live: Ceffanus
Steam: korbaut
Windows LIVE: aloysis

[WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER AND IS BASICALLY 100% ASSUMPTION.]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2014 05:55 - 31 Jan 2014 05:57 #33830 by Wooderson
I'm glad to see you are building a desktop. The only thing I see in your parts list that will not work is your power supply. The specifications tab on newegg states that the CORSAIR CX series CX430 only has 1 x 6+2-Pin PCI-E Connector, but the photos I looked at of your card on Gigabyte's site (The Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card) shows you need 2 x 6-pin PCI-E Connectors. www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4840#sp

So sticking with the same brand you've choose the next step up would be the CORSAIR CX series CX500 500W for $59.99 which is a $15.00 increase in your price. This will give you the 2 x 6-pin+2 PCI-E Connectors that you need for that card. I would personally go with the 600 watt version, but the Gigabyte site recomends a 500 watt power supply so you should be fine.
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

Next always pay attention to your socket type! Your motherboard is an AM3+ and so is you CPU so your good there.

Speaking of motherboards the Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ is a good board. This is the same board that is in my wife's gaming PC, and we have had zero issues with it to date. It supports DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066 memory standards. With the memory you have selected the 1333 is the important one. I would recommend DDR3 1600, but i wouldn't pay much more for it if you are on a tight budget. As far as will it fit it is an ATX board, so you would look at you case specifications.

Your case supports ATX and micro Atx according to the video on its newegg page. You should always pay attention to your card leingth. The The Gigabyte Radeon R9 270 is 254mm (10 inches)once again according to the newegg video you can fit up to a 270mm card with the hard drive cages installed.

Finally to some things up, pick a power supply with 2 x 6pin PCI-E connectors, and everything else should fit fine. I hope this was a help to you, and post if you have any other questions. P.S. Here is the video covering you case specification, and overview.

I kill CPU's
Last edit: 31 Jan 2014 05:57 by Wooderson. Reason: Clean up
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld, Dreyvas, Kurzuul, Plague

• Kurzuul
  • Kurzuul's Avatar Topic Author
  • Press A to barrel roll a somersault.
More
31 Jan 2014 22:01 - 31 Jan 2014 22:02 #33841 by Kurzuul
Wow, that was immensely helpful haha
I ended up going for the 1600 RAM and the 500W supply.

YOU ARE DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE I HOPE YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF

pcpartpicker.com/user/aloysis/saved/3BcN

i actually took the monitor off for now, but yeah. I'm happy with this build B)

File Attachment:

Xbox Live: Ceffanus
Steam: korbaut
Windows LIVE: aloysis

[WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER AND IS BASICALLY 100% ASSUMPTION.]
Last edit: 31 Jan 2014 22:02 by Kurzuul.

More
01 Feb 2014 00:55 #33842 by Wooderson
Glad I could help. Sometimes the details make all the difference. I would of made a ton of mistakes without D-Raymac, Greg and others in the beginning. I hope your build goes perfectly, and be careful not to bend a pin on your AMD CPU. See you at the Lan.

I kill CPU's

More
02 Feb 2014 03:18 - 02 Feb 2014 03:19 #33849 by Arxon
I can save you 20 bucks and keep the front of the case clean. Use a USB flash drive, and put the OS on it with Windows 7 USB/DVD tool. After that put your DVD in a safe place and use the usb to install windows. That way you don't ahve to buy a DVD drive if you don't really need one.

Here is a link on how to do it.

pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/install-windows-8-usb.htm
Last edit: 02 Feb 2014 03:19 by Arxon.

More
02 Feb 2014 08:24 #33853 by Dreyvas

Arxon wrote: I can save you 20 bucks and keep the front of the case clean. Use a USB flash drive, and put the OS on it with Windows 7 USB/DVD tool. After that put your DVD in a safe place and use the usb to install windows. That way you don't ahve to buy a DVD drive if you don't really need one.

Here is a link on how to do it.

pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/install-windows-8-usb.htm

In the past I've created flash drive Windows installers just by simply dragging and dropping all the files from a mounted ISO onto them. I know this works for Windows 8/8.1 for sure, 7 I'm about 90% sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
03 Feb 2014 14:44 #33881 by Arxon
Ah ok cool. Just another way to save cash and bump an upgrade up one level :-D

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

We have 1679 guests and no members online

supportus