Silverstone Sugo Cube - mini-Phoenix II

More
14 Feb 2012 17:09 - 01 Mar 2014 02:59 #22868 by Plague
When I attended NeXus LAN in November, I won the case mod contest and received a Silverstone Sugo SG02-F... And was told that they wanted to see me mod it and bring it to the LAN. I got home and stated thinking. I knew I wasn't going to be buy a whole new computer to put in it.

So I had most of the follow just around that house.

CPU: Intel Core2 E4300 1.8GHz
RAM: 2 Gb GSkill DDR2 800
Hard Drives: 80Gb Intel SSD & Samsung 500Gb 7200RPM HD
Video: ATI Radeon HD 4870
PSU: Mushkin 500Watt

And I had most of watercooling setup still sitting around.

Starting to figure out what I would need to buy for this building.

I knew I need a motherboard that would fit in the case (which I didn't have). I found a motherboard that would fit and still use the processor and memory I already had. Which was Foxconn LGA775 672M01-1.1-8KSH DDR2 Sata.
Starting trying to put everything together and found a problem with the waterblock I have had since I started watercooling. The acrylic top was cracking on the bottom side of it (picture below), with 2 of 3 of the crack going all the way to the side. So I needed a new waterblock.

got the board temp mounted, and went to looking at wire management while I was waiting on the waterblock replacement.

Last edit: 01 Mar 2014 02:59 by Plague.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2012 17:24 #22869 by Plague
I had a friend ask to use a computer for our New Year LAN Party, so I rushed and got it together an running, it wasn't clean inside and the power supply needs worked on. So just turned it on and took these pictures. I know I got other somewhere so I will post them once I find them.

The video card side before turning on the blue lighting.

Blue lights on!

Room lights off now too!

CPU side (Room lights on)

CPU side (Room lights off)

Top (Room lights on)

Top (Room lights off)

More
14 Feb 2012 17:29 #22870 by Plague
I posted these in to the recent purchases. But I have started working on moding the cover, so I pick of this stuff.

And I decided that I am going to keep using the power supply I have, but I am going to mod it, so I got this stuff too. Now I going to have to replace the tips on each connector because I am going to shorten all the cable to work with this case only.

That is where I am so far on this build, it should be done by LANOC, but definity by NeXus LAN.
Attachments:

More
20 Feb 2012 14:32 #23076 by Plague
So I found the pictures from December when I was getting it first put together. Figure I would see post them, even if they are out of build order. hehe

This is the water block I got to replace the broken one.

water block again.

got the block on the motherboard and got the motherboard in the case.

Houston we have a problem, straight barb fitting would not work when I put the PSU in on top.

So I ordered some 90 degree fits that can turn 360 degrees.

and I got those mounted on to the water block.

So ya after that point, I did the build so quickly I found to take anymore pictures. :(

That is it for now, should be cuting the cover this week sometime.

More
08 Mar 2012 02:24 #23659 by Plague
So you probably noticed where I had the radiator mounted. I decided I didn't like that. I wanted to try to get it mount on the front wall of the case.

This is what the case looks like at the moment, until I got my parts in for my phantom.

This is what the it looked like before.

This is after removing everything.
Attachments:

More
25 Mar 2012 07:59 #24241 by Plague
ok, well since I am at LANOC, I figure I will post update with the progress that I made before the LAN.

got the radiator mounted on the front of the case after removing the all of the drive bays.

got the 500Gb hard drive remount on rubber anti-shock standoff on the bottom of the case.

got the motherboard back in again.

got the new pump and reservoir mounted

and then the video card.

It came with me to the LAN, but looks like I forgot to take a phase 2 finish picture. I will get a few when I get it home.

More
26 Mar 2012 20:12 #24269 by Twodavez
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for allowing Edward (Mr. Wong) to use this PC at LAN OC v10? I know he had a good time playing games and getting to know what it meant to be at a LAN party! :)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
27 Mar 2012 02:17 #24287 by Plague

Twodavez wrote: Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for allowing Edward (Mr. Wong) to use this PC at LAN OC v10? I know he had a good time playing games and getting to know what it meant to be at a LAN party! :)

No problem. glad he had a good time.

More
27 Mar 2012 02:26 #24288 by Plague
As promised pictures of the finish phase 2

Going to work on the PSU mod and putting the windows in before NexusLAN
Attachments:

More
02 Jul 2012 09:11 - 02 Jul 2012 09:18 #25953 by Plague
Sorry about the long wait for an update on this. I have been busy and broke. I did have all the stuff to work on a few things and final stop putting it off. I got the window hole cut on last thursday, so here is those pictures. I do so some final sanding to straighten up the line but it will should like pretty like it does in end picture.

Top window done

The leftovers

Left Side window layout

Starting cut made not jigsaw time.

All done with that side

Right window layed out

Starter cuts made

All done with that side

So it looked like this with the tape in and the cut done.

And with the tape it doesn't look half bad.

Planning to get it cleaned up somemore and get the window panels mounted soon.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2012 09:18 by Plague.

More
02 Jul 2012 10:00 #25954 by Wooderson
Looks good! Do you think it will be done by your lan?

I kill CPU's
The following user(s) said Thank You: Plague

More
03 Jul 2012 23:02 - 03 Jul 2012 23:02 #25969 by Plague

Wooderson wrote: Looks good! Do you think it will be done by your lan?

Windows = yes.
Power Supply mod = probably not.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2012 23:02 by Plague.

More
11 Aug 2012 07:19 - 11 Aug 2012 07:22 #27017 by Plague
Update, so the more I liked into what I was going to do with the power supply the more I decided it would be nice but it is overkill for this build. So I dropped the money on a SilverStone Strider Plus 500W PSU and the short cable kit for it. Pictures below.

Oh, an interest fact about this PSU and case... the power supply mount holes don't match up... I found this very odd because they are both by the same company. I guess I get my dremmel out and make them match.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Aug 2012 07:22 by Plague.

More
26 Aug 2012 07:10 - 26 Aug 2012 07:11 #27532 by SpeedBump
Any more done with this project. It kinda caught my eye as I used that case in a build a couple years back. I since sold it..and then..it came back. I just put together another new system using it and have been kicking around the idea of a water setup. This build you got here..makin my gears turn in the old melon.

BTW, here is a couple pix of mine with the original build.

File Attachment:

picture hosting

File Attachment:

upload photo
Last edit: 26 Aug 2012 07:11 by SpeedBump.

More
26 Aug 2012 08:47 - 26 Aug 2012 09:08 #27535 by Plague
Ya, I have done a few things to it since posting the new power supply... so here is an update for now, and I should have the other windows cut tomorrow (hopefully).

Top view after rearranging the hard drive and mounting and wiring the new power supply. It was interesting and kind of stupid of Silverstone that the short cable kit doesn't have a PCI-E cable with 2 connectors on it, I had to use the one from the large cable kit, but it all went together well.
File Attachment:

left side view... I am adding what use to be the center support beam on the far Left to get the case a more support. Currently without it the front moves alot on the side. I have to drill the front screw hole and then it will be mounted. Nice things about that is it gave me clip spot for mounting the blue LED strip that is in it.
File Attachment:

Another top shot from the other angle, in this angle if you look you will see that I moved the SSD and it is now mount on top of the 500Gb drive with mounting tape. and all the wiring for the drives comes out on the side closest case cover, this remove some of the cramped cabling I had going on beside the pump. HEHE, Now that spot has the PCI-E stuck in it.
File Attachment:

Right side shot of the HD arranged this way.
File Attachment:

So I turned it on without the case cover and this is with the blue LED strip on. Camera was having trouble dealing with the blue without the flash LOL, but it makes for a sweet picture.
File Attachment:

File Attachment:
Last edit: 26 Aug 2012 09:08 by Plague.

More
27 Aug 2012 01:44 - 27 Aug 2012 01:45 #27546 by Plague
Window number 2: Large window on the left side of the case.

I was advised my someone that toothpaste would make a dermal not melt plexiglass, this didn't seem to work and just made a mess, so we cut it without the toothpaste at lower speed and it working out OK.
File Attachment:

After removing the rough edge from the melting, this was the finish piece before installation.
File Attachment:

Making sure it fit
File Attachment:

Going to try the carpet tape again on the side with a thinner glass and see if it does a better job, put the weight on it and going to let it set over night before trying it on the case.
File Attachment:

We are going to try to do the other window tomorrow, so the cube with its windows should be ready for the LAN.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2012 01:45 by Plague.

More
30 Aug 2012 11:52 - 30 Aug 2012 12:01 #27693 by SpeedBump
www.mnpctech.com/scotch_4010_tape_of_the_casemod_gods.html I've been modding since the late 90s and have tried many, many diff kinds of tapes....THAT 3M #4010 is by far the BEST stuff Ever. BTW, bay far the best way to "cut" plexi..is NOT to cut it. Score it, then snap it off. Pick yourself up one of these. www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sa...SiYH4Cw&ved=0CB8QrQQ I saw one at a local business that sells plexi, and built myself one a bunch of years ago (out of an old wood chisel) and it works great. Also, to put holes in plexi...don't DRILL it. Use a propane torch and "melt" the holes using a nail (whatever size you need) heated up. Just a bit of info from one modder to another. Looking forward to check this out at the LAN.
Last edit: 30 Aug 2012 12:01 by SpeedBump.
The following user(s) said Thank You: parall4x

More
30 Aug 2012 13:09 #27695 by Plague

SpeedBump wrote: www.mnpctech.com/scotch_4010_tape_of_the_casemod_gods.html I've been modding since the late 90s and have tried many, many diff kinds of tapes....THAT 3M #4010 is by far the BEST stuff Ever. BTW, bay far the best way to "cut" plexi..is NOT to cut it. Score it, then snap it off. Pick yourself up one of these. www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&sa...SiYH4Cw&ved=0CB8QrQQ I saw one at a local business that sells plexi, and built myself one a bunch of years ago (out of an old wood chisel) and it works great. Also, to put holes in plexi...don't DRILL it. Use a propane torch and "melt" the holes using a nail (whatever size you need) heated up. Just a bit of info from one modder to another. Looking forward to check this out at the LAN.

ya, I have a roll of the 4010 mounting tape, but since I am not using "U" channel on the edge, I want to closer fit melt to plexi. the carpet tape will work for the moment, but I will using something else after I get the case painted later on.

More
17 Sep 2012 20:31 #27991 by Ropplestiltskin
I have to say that your cube keeps looking beter and beter

Ok so I need a bottle of nitro, a stick of Dynamite, a roll of duct tape and ... Oh yeah! a squirrel

More
23 Jul 2013 13:33 - 23 Jul 2013 13:34 #31828 by Plague
wow 10 months old. time to revive a post. So I decided to I am going to sale my old laptop and upgrade the cube in to awesome mobile gaming rig.

I priced out replacing just the motherboard, CPU (or APU in this case), and RAM

Anyone have a good suggestion for a video card upgrade? I current am using and Radeon 4870, this rig has a 500 watt PSU. I was thinking $200 to $250 range. Possible Nvidia 670 or AMD 7870. not sure.

NOTE: the guys at my LAN party I told them I was getting an Fractal Design Node case, but I check it out it is the same size as this cube so why waste and already modded case.
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Jul 2013 13:34 by Plague.

More
24 Jul 2013 02:17 - 24 Jul 2013 02:18 #31835 by SpeedBump
The gtx 670 is a fantastic choice if u are watercooling it. Lots of blocks out there, good performance and biggest benefit of this card in a sff case...its size. Once the stock cooler/shroud is taken off, the card is very small. Keep on it.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2013 02:18 by SpeedBump.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Plague

More
17 Oct 2013 21:07 #33152 by Plague
So I moved that motherboard, processor and ram to Pandemic (my mini build)... I needed to get another motherboard, processor, and ram for this cube.

AMD FX 8350 4GHz AM3+ Black Edition Boxed Processor
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Socket AM3+ mATX 760G AMD Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800) RAM

Still using the Radeon 4870 with this build. I benchmarked my new build last night, so I figured I would benchmark this box too. Now the 4870 doesn't do directx 11 so no 3dmark 11, but I did pcmark 7 and 3dmark vantage (which does directx 10).

Attachment 3dmarkvantagescore.jpg not found

Attachments:

More
17 Oct 2013 21:46 #33153 by garfi3ld
you should toss your results in the benchmark forum as well :D

Wes

We have 1750 guests and no members online

supportus