After reading a review on the Xigmatek fans, I decided to get my hands on some. 2 200mm green LED fans and 1 140mm straight blade green LED fan.
Now the issue with these 200mm fans is they're actually bigger than the 200mm NZXT fan that came out. Also, the mounting holes are not the standard 200mm mounts like the NZXT ones are. So either these ones are wrong or the NZXT ones are.
Here's the difference:
These are the mounts on the Xigmatek's. The drilled hole is on the right, and the undrilled notch that is needed to put these in the Phantom is on the left. I ended up drilling out the 4 of these so I could mount these fans, but that's minor.
Now the second issue with these fans. They're a touch wider than the NZXT ones, and don't fit in without some gentle manipulating.
And turned on.
Next I mounted the 140mm straight blade fan in it's place so you can see how the lighting looks for the front of the case.
And a shot with the fans lit and the side panel on. This thing's going to look killer
Now the lighting is a bit bright from the outside, but I've got a neat idea that will dress up the vents and also let a little less light outside the case and should make it a little more aesthetically appealing.
MNPC Tech has helped out with some 3M mounting tape and u-channel edge molding for the window! Thanks Bill!
I started off by finishing the sanding and filing on the edged of the spark plugs, and trimming them down to size. The tops were not needed, as the plug boots will be covering them anyways.
I then used my Dremel to cut a channel into the backside. This channel will hold a 3mm blue LED, and the wiring will run out the top and into the plug cap, as shown.
Next I got some 1/4" black fuel line. This will be the plug wires, and the wiring for the LEDs will be run through this as well.
It fits nicely into the cap
Now I needed to make something to hide the PSU wiring mess that will reside behind the PSU where the second drive cage was removed. I made this carbon fiber piece for my Tempest SXR mod, and will do something similar, but nicer.
Here's the PSU installed, and the bundled wiring will need to be hidden for aesthetics
I've got approximately 15" in length, 7" on the horizontal leg and 4" on the vertical. I got 2 sheets of aluminum, 18" x 12". I marked 7" from one end and made a line, then bent the sheets on my metal brake.
These will be used as an inner and outer mold. I've got some Rexco Formula Five release wax and Partall PVA mold release on the way for these. This way I'll lay up a few sheets of carbon fabric with resin, and clamp it between these two mold halves to get a nice consistent single piece, then I'll just trim and sand as needed.
Well the last one I made was originally one flat piece. I made 2 separate pieces, then sanded them at a 45º angle and glued them. The problem with that was that the angle and the sides were not quite straight, so it ended up witting kinda funny. This way I'll mold it as one solid piece with a 90º bend and just trim it as needed, so it'll look a LOT better