Deleting old Windows Files

More
06 Jun 2012 07:00 #25500 by Twodavez
When i got my SSD, I just simply installed windows on it and left the old windows files on my "old" non-ssd drive. Now i wanna delete then, but it's giving me the error "You need permissions to perform this action - You require permissions from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this folder"...
I've googled this problem, but everything sends me to some site to download their unlocker or file hippo software. I'm pretty leary about doing such a thing without talking it over with my tech community first!

So, how do i get rid of the old windows files on an old hard drive?

Thanks all!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2012 07:51 - 06 Jun 2012 07:55 #25502 by Dreyvas
helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-how...by-trustedinstaller/

First result on Google for "trustedinstaller" O_o
Last edit: 06 Jun 2012 07:55 by Dreyvas.

More
06 Jun 2012 17:03 #25503 by Twodavez

Dreyvas wrote: helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-how...by-trustedinstaller/

Thanks, I was searching for "How to remove windows files" as i didn't want the installer, i wanted the un-installer :-)

I'll keep is simpiler next time in my search :blush:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
06 Jun 2012 17:11 #25504 by Dreyvas
Error message keywords FTW

More
06 Jun 2012 18:03 #25507 by L0rdG1gabyt3
So you want to delete the old Windows installation files from your old HDD, and its not letting you? Well, the reason behind it is that Windows thinks the files are important, and the "current" user, while still being physically the same person, is not the same "user" who had ownership of the files the first time around.

The way to take care of this is to take ownership of the files, then you should be able to delete them.

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

If that does not work, you can always download, burn and boot a Linux live distro, and delete them that way, as Linux does not care who owns the files and should allow you to delete until your hearts content.

More
06 Jun 2012 20:21 #25520 by Dreyvas

Twodavez wrote:

Dreyvas wrote: helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-how...by-trustedinstaller/

Thanks, I was searching for "How to remove windows files" as i didn't want the installer, i wanted the un-installer :-)

I'll keep is simpiler next time in my search :blush:

Simpler isn't necessarily better, it's more about using the exact keywords that will help you find the information you need.

More
06 Jun 2012 21:51 #25533 by Wingcmdr77
heres a good free file unlocker- www.freefileunlocker.com/

More
06 Jun 2012 22:18 #25537 by Dreyvas
Why install a separate program when you can already do it easily in Windows as-is? /shrug

More
06 Jun 2012 22:24 #25540 by Hasbeen
I just had several files that my PC just stopped recognizing, and every attempt to delete them caused me headaches. I decided to try something different and downloaded a file shredder. I wasn't expecting much but it removed the files fast and with little more than a few clicks of the mouse. Not exactly the same situation, but maybe it would have worked too.

More
08 Jun 2012 15:58 #25592 by Twodavez
OK smarties! i've tried everything from the link and it's now telling me i have to get permission from the admin on the PC. I am the Admin and i can't see where i can change it any further. I only have one user account on my PC that it's got the Admin privledges...

So do i have to install a program to force these folders to get deleted? it's about 30 gigs of data i would really like to get rid of.

Thanks,
Resident PC Noob

More
08 Jun 2012 16:03 #25593 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Did you take ownership of the files like i suggested? If you did and it still didn't work, download Ubuntu Desktop , burn it to a CD or boot if from a thumb drive and delete your files that way. Like I said before.... Linux doesn't care who owns the files.

More
08 Jun 2012 16:14 #25594 by Twodavez

L0rdG1gabyt3 wrote: Did you take ownership of the files like i suggested? If you did and it still didn't work, download Ubuntu Desktop , burn it to a CD or boot if from a thumb drive and delete your files that way. Like I said before.... Linux doesn't care who owns the files.

There were only two options to take ownership as. And i believe they were both admins... but i'm really not sure how i'm not that admin already, i'm the only user. Does Windows thing some IT professional is going to come to my house and help me out by signing in some super secret way as the "real" admin???

At least it doesn't tell me "Trusted Installer" is the one i need to get permission from, but apparently i can't give myself permission! I'm sad! I won't be able to play with it again until i set back up at Forge LAN, where i'm sure someone will be able to help me out.

Thanks for the help, i tried, it just didn't work for me :-(

More
09 Jun 2012 02:02 #25608 by L0rdG1gabyt3

Twodavez wrote: There were only two options to take ownership as. And i believe they were both admins... but i'm really not sure how i'm not that admin already, i'm the only user.

You have to be one of the admins unless when you setup the system to begin with you made your self a limited user... which in that case was a major derp attack. One of them should be you.

In this case, we can see my name, Josh, but since my account IS an administrator, as yours should be as well, you can choose the Administrators name. It will set the permissions for ANY user with an Administrator account. Otherwise, its specific to just me.

Twodavez wrote: Does Windows thing some IT professional is going to come to my house and help me out by signing in some super secret way as the "real" admin???

This is real.... You have to enable it from a command prompt.....
www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/en...nt-on-windows-vista/
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

We have 1354 guests and no members online

supportus