Video Card Orientation

More
26 Mar 2012 19:49 #24267 by Twodavez
Why are video cards oriented with the fan, name, model, and pictures, ect facing down when installed in a case? I realize this again when taking apart my PC to clean out all the dust and noticed that even the new cards are this way. With all the windows and lights in Cases, why not put the fan on top along with the picture and model name and maker? Now all you get to look at is the back of the video cards board it’s built on.

What Gives?

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2012 21:16 #24272 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re: Video Card Orientation
This is a throwback to old motherboard design. ISA bus cards (prior to PCI) had their components mounted in an opposite fashion. When PCI first came out, many motherboard manufacturers wanted to play it safe in case PCI proved to be flawed and therefore kept the ability to run PCI & ISA cards... however, you couldn't run both in adjacent slots. To make that physically impossible, expansion card makers oriented the components opposite. Why it is still this way, and why this didn't occur when PCI-E came out is anyone's guess. BTX was supposed to "fix" this for purposes of best airflow, but never gained traction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twodavez

More
26 Mar 2012 22:03 #24274 by THUMPer
Replied by THUMPer on topic Re: Video Card Orientation
you can always get a mirrored case. like a silverstone of lian li. it will flip everything

More
27 Mar 2012 04:22 #24294 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Video Card Orientation

THUMPer wrote: you can always get a mirrored case. like a silverstone of lian li. it will flip everything

Or since 99.9% of the cases don't have that, just flip them over already ATI & NVidea!

Wes, Can you pull some strings and make this happen! Thanks! :angry:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
27 Mar 2012 04:29 #24295 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Video Card Orientation
it would take all motherboard manufactures, gpu manufactures, and case manufactures working together to get it to happen. Thats why BTX failed even though it was a good idea. I agree that its a change that should happen, but I'm not sure how they would be able to make it happen

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
27 Mar 2012 07:30 #24297 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Video Card Orientation
Why not just leave the cards as they are, but make a sticker for the "top" that's seen... That's all i want, to see my card, not just the pretty limiters and capacitors on the back of it :-)

Thanks all for the info. I knew there had to be a reason, as silly as it was, it was a reason

More
27 Mar 2012 14:37 #24298 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Video Card Orientation
There's nothing stopping you from modding your card to have a fancy picture on the side you want.

More
27 Mar 2012 16:26 #24299 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Backplates......

More
27 Mar 2012 18:31 #24300 by jj_Sky5000

THUMPer wrote: you can always get a mirrored case. like a silverstone of lian li. it will flip everything

Or mod one, It makes since!!!!

We have 3172 guests and no members online

supportus