Windows Warns about HDD

More
12 Jul 2011 00:35 - 12 Jul 2011 00:39 #16634 by Lersar
So Windows popped up and said that one of my hard drive disks had an error, and it suggests backing up my files. I was curious if anyone else has gotten this message, how accurate it is and if the disk failed how long after the message it happened.

Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jul 2011 00:39 by Lersar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2011 00:59 #16635 by garfi3ld
whats show details bring up. But normally S.M.A.R.T. does a good job of predicting hard drives failing

Wes

More
12 Jul 2011 01:22 #16636 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Windows Warns about HDD
Back up the run spinrite.

More
12 Jul 2011 04:26 #16641 by Wingcmdr77
As Cheap as Sata Drives are now that SSDs are probably driving prices down, I'd probably just back up your data and buy a new one or send that one in if its under warranty.

More
12 Jul 2011 06:21 #16643 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Ive seen this before.... Like Wes said, its triggered by the SMART.

If this is happening on your boot drive, clone it, and pitch the old one.

More
12 Jul 2011 06:29 #16645 by Nacelle
For being a bunch of tech guys, I can't believe how ignorant you are to spinrite. Especially the ones who work in computer stores. That should be THE thing you use on hard drives that are acting up.

More
12 Jul 2011 07:11 #16646 by Wingcmdr77
I know what spinrite is and does. its from grc.com steve gibson's invention. i just think with the cost, especially if he doesnt have spin rite he'd have to buy the program then he might as well have bought the drive.

More
12 Jul 2011 07:28 #16647 by Wingless92
I tend to agree with Wing. It all depends on how much spinrite is though. If its $50 then its not worth it. Just buy a new drive that is faster overall.

Then again, if Spinrite is cheap then that might be the way to go.

If it was me? I would do a new drive. Sure, Spinrite might fix it but then again it may not. Fixing broken shit is not the answer in my book though. As soon as something starts going haywire, get rid of it, RMA, return what have you.

More
12 Jul 2011 08:43 #16651 by garfi3ld
I have no problem with spinrite, but if it was me I wouldn't be able to use the drive even after its fixed for anything important. Most of my data is worth more to me than the replacement cost of the hard drive. A 1TB drive is 54 bucks on newegg currently.

Plus if its a current drive there is a good chance that it has a 5 year warranty

Wes

More
12 Jul 2011 14:57 - 12 Jul 2011 15:09 #16652 by Nacelle
So no one here has acquired a copy of expensive software, let's say Photoshop, for less than retail? I find that hard to believe. Every drive has a pool of spare sectors that it swaps out for bad ones, when needed. This is normal operation. Every drive has bad sectors, you just don't know it. The thing is, the drive isn't always on the ball with getting them moved before they go bad. It's kind of dumb that way. And Windows isn't always sure what problem the drive is having. It just says you have a problem. It doesn't mean the drive is trash. There's a good chance it just needs a little TLC that only spinrite can give. I'm not saying that it works miracles. If it's dead, it's dead. Why throw away >$50 without making sure it's not a simple fix. Unless course you have it to throw away. Then go ahead, be my guest.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2011 15:09 by Nacelle.

More
12 Jul 2011 16:18 #16653 by L0rdG1gabyt3

garfi3ld wrote: I have no problem with spinrite, but if it was me I wouldn't be able to use the drive even after its fixed for anything important. Most of my data is worth more to me than the replacement cost of the hard drive. A 1TB drive is 54 bucks on newegg currently.

Plus if its a current drive there is a good chance that it has a 5 year warranty

Agreed!

<rant> When a drive begins to fail, it will continue to fail. Im sorry, but I would not trust my data, no matter how trivial, to a drive that has failure syptoms.

On top of that... I have a hard time even using the factory warranty on a drive for the simple fact you will most likley get a refurb drive in return.

Oh, and spinrite takes about a million years and in a shop we dont have that kind of time to just see if it will work especially if the drive is bootable and we can clone it. </rant>

More
12 Jul 2011 17:28 #16655 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: Windows Warns about HDD

Thanks guys. For the time being I'm going to try the software Nacelle suggested, but I'll probably end up replacing it and using the drive as an external or test drive or something. It just happens to be my media drive which has most of my games, videos, etc. on it, too much to lose.

On a related note, I did try to play a video from the drive a few days ago, and it had awful frame rates. After a reboot it played fine. Think it had anything to do with it going bad?
Attachments:

More
12 Jul 2011 19:35 - 12 Jul 2011 19:59 #16656 by Nacelle
*edit* PM me if you need Help.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2011 19:59 by Nacelle.

More
12 Jul 2011 19:36 #16657 by Wingless92
This might piss Draymac off but I think he will understand. I have 2 drives for sale adam. I have a 1TB Caviar black and a 2TB Caviar Green. If you need one of them i'll cut you a good deal on one of them. Danny has already said that he wanted them but I felt the need to help someone out that was in a bit of trouble.

No hard, no foul though if you need one. If not, then they are on their way to Danny.

More
12 Jul 2011 19:37 #16658 by Wingless92

Nacelle wrote: PM me if you need any assistance "purchasing" any software.

I was going to reply to this but that will take us down a HUGE rat hole.

More
12 Jul 2011 19:58 #16659 by Nacelle

L0rdG1gabyt3 wrote: I have a hard time even using the factory warranty on a drive for the simple fact you will most likley get a refurb drive in return.

I have had more trouble with new drives dying than ones that have been running for a year or two. I never put anything important on a new one until it's survived the "infant mortality" period. In general, all drives are teetering on the brink of failure. But in my experience, new ones can be trusted the least.

More
12 Jul 2011 20:03 #16660 by garfi3ld
I would agree :)

Adam bring the drive over to the office and we can back it up until you get it all worked out if needed

Wes

More
13 Jul 2011 01:58 #16668 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: Windows Warns about HDD

garfi3ld wrote: I would agree :)

Adam bring the drive over to the office and we can back it up until you get it all worked out if needed

You da man.

And Skylar I will be getting a hold of you bud, thanks. And Nacelle too, is Dropbox an easy way to send the 'help'?

More
14 Jul 2011 03:16 #16690 by Nacelle
Except that I don't have it installed since my last crash. The iso is really small. When I'm on my main PC, I'll send to the address you used to sigh up for the last LAN here.

We have 2192 guests and no members online

supportus