Windows OS

More
02 Jul 2011 19:39 #16425 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Windows OS
That doesn't seem WAY too hot but cooler is always better! Does the CPU have the stock heatsink or an aftermarket one?

As for the video card what kind is it. My 580's sit right around 40c and the 560 sits at 30c. Its all about how much airflow your case has. More air going in versus air coming out = better. You want positive pressure in your case aka more air going in then coming out.

Usually you have to adjust you fan settings on GPU's to get them to idle were you want them. The fan on the 580's sits around 60% to keep them cool at idle. Tinkering with the settings is what you need to be doing now. Get it to run were you want it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jul 2011 20:18 #16426 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Windows OS
60% fan to keep them cool at idle? Mine don't need 60% to keep cool while gaming.

About the CPU temps that is high for your setup if you are talking about idle temps (depending on your room temperature that is). My guess is you need to remove your fan off the heatsink and clean the heatsink out. The thermal paste also needs replaced. The thermal paste is dried up and if you have moved it around much there is a good chance that it isn't getting good contact anymore.

Having said that, you are still far from an unsafe temperature. Most CPU's can handle up to 100 Degree's. Video cards are the same way, manufactures don't even ramp up the fans unless you are running over 60 degrees

Wes

• Kelf
  • Kelf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hear reason, or she'll make you feel her.
More
03 Jul 2011 02:37 #16431 by Kelf
Replied by Kelf on topic Re: Windows OS
Sweet guys thanks! I left it going at max for close to 8 hours and the highest it went was 60 degrees so I think I'm alright for now.

More
03 Jul 2011 06:51 #16432 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Windows OS
run prime95 at see where your temps go. I don't get too worried until it gets to 70.

• Kelf
More
06 Jul 2011 01:49 - 06 Jul 2011 03:36 #16475 by Kelf
Got the SSD, installing after I finish this post!

Well, I just installed it, went decent considering ive ben out of the game for a minute. I gotta get a bracket for it but no biggie. But my problem now is windows wont let me format my old hard drive, I want to wipe it clean but its not about to let me, any suggestions?
Last edit: 06 Jul 2011 03:36 by Kelf.

More
06 Jul 2011 03:46 #16477 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic Re: Windows OS
Use this, www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html then do a secure erase with active disk kill.

• Kelf
More
06 Jul 2011 05:29 #16479 by Kelf
That was way more work then it was worth but I did it a different way and hours later its done! now for downloadig all my steam games how do i designate the drive for them? :cheer:

More
06 Jul 2011 05:58 #16480 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Windows OS
you install steam itself on the second hard drive, the games download directly to the steam folder

Wes

• Kelf
More
06 Jul 2011 06:49 #16483 by Kelf
crikey, alright

We have 1989 guests and no members online

supportus