Sound Card/Onboard Audio?

More
06 Nov 2009 21:59 - 06 Nov 2009 22:00 #1118 by Twodavez
What's the benefit (besides the obvious for 5.1 Dolby...) to have a Sound card in your PC? I've been looking at a few builds and they include a sound card, but I’m not sure why onboard audio wouldn't be plenty for LAN style usage. I understand if your plugging in your 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound at home, but for a paid of regular L & R speakers/headphones is there a need for one?

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2009 22:01 #1119 by Twodavez
Guess i messed up the voting... And i'm not sure how to delete it and start over...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
07 Nov 2009 16:42 #1125 by LinkyPwns
well i used to have a X-Fi Xtremegamer from creative until i fried it with my watercooling accident a long time ago and i was very pleased with the increase of sound quality that the x-fi platform can push. however, i wouldn't invest in a sound card because if you have a gigabyte mobo and realtek audio onboard chip, you can download a modded driver and have x-fi quality sound. if you are an audiophile and don't have a gigabyte + realtek equipment then i would recommend a sound card. the easiest way to describe the change is listening from any ordinary speaker and then go listen to a bose speaker. thats the type of quality difference to be had. i personally have the x-fi modded driver and bose companion speakers and i love the sound that it puts out of my computer

/end story

More
07 Nov 2009 17:23 #1129 by garfi3ld
The plus side of adding a sound card is separating your audio from all of the electronic components of your pc. Onboard sound has improved a lot over tha past 5 years, but you will still notice a difference in sound with a high end sound card.

But with that said im running onboard on mine, i have a nice Razer sound card in the other room i just didn't have room for it with the two video cards

Wes

More
08 Nov 2009 04:46 #1139 by NitrosDragon
ASUS Xonar DX, here. One and only reason for my sound card? I won it. Only justification? Vocal fucking effects. Need I remind anyone of my Satan voice?

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
08 Nov 2009 05:23 #1140 by Twodavez

NitrosDragon wrote: ASUS Xonar DX, here. One and only reason for my sound card? I won it. Only justification? Vocal fucking effects. Need I remind anyone of my Satan voice?

The Satan voice is what got me thinking about the topic...

More
08 Nov 2009 23:44 #1141 by Dreyvas

NitrosDragon wrote: ASUS Xonar DX, here. One and only reason for my sound card? I won it. Only justification? Vocal fucking effects. Need I remind anyone of my Satan voice?

So much win!

More
10 Nov 2009 01:16 #1145 by NitrosDragon
If you have surround sound at home, or in your theater, I definitely recommend investing in a sound card. Anywhere from 4 speakers up will really make a difference because, at least with mine, there are so many options! It makes my 2 speakers (and sub) sound amazing. The "7.1 Virtual Speaker" setup is especially nice. Once again, this has only been the experience with mine, but I assume more expensive sound cards are better quality.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

We have 1644 guests and one member online

supportus