HELP! Friend coming to LANOC has mobo problems!

More
17 Oct 2009 03:23 #313 by NitrosDragon
My friend, Shafin, has just recently bought and constructed (well, I did) his own computer and is very excited to come to LANOC to play.

(Critical components)
Mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 (model no. MS-7577)
CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 710
RAM: g.skill 2GB DDR3-1333 (x2)
VID: XFX Radeon HD 4770

It has been put together and turned on, but we have not yet gotten any video output from any of the 3 spare video cards we have to use, thus no way to configure BIOS or install an OS.
I have troubleshooted it to my best abilities and resources and have read online that the mobo may have trouble with some DVI cards and needs a VGA PCIe card.

If anyone has a spare, or is otherwise interested in helping my friend and I resolve this situation, please bring a PCIe VGA card and/or your technical expertise. I would really like to see him participate with his very own rig.

Sincerely,
NitrosDragon

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2009 04:56 #314 by garfi3ld
you need to try out a standard pci video card. Sometimes the bios can be set to boot to PCI before PCIe

Wes

More
17 Oct 2009 05:36 #315 by jj_Sky5000
did you clear the bios so it runs default?

More
17 Oct 2009 06:02 #316 by Scootpogo
Bring it to lanoc unworking im sure we can fix it.

More
18 Oct 2009 01:13 #337 by NitrosDragon
Tried a PCI VGA card, didn't work. Always cleared CMOS before all attempts. Thanks guys, you'll see the machine at LANOC for sure.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
18 Oct 2009 03:24 #347 by Nacelle
I'm assuming that your power supply is working correctly. Hook another up to make sure. If that's fine, pull the ram out and only put one back in. If it still doesn't work, take that one out and put another in. If no-go, start over in a different slot. If still no-go, remove the whole motherboard and set it on something nonconductive. You'll only have cpu, ram and video card with monitor hooked to it, on it. Plug the powersupply into the motherboard and the video card. Touch across the start button jumpers with a screw driver. This will make it start up. If it starts up here, you've installed the motherboard wrong. check all the risers to make sure you haven't got too many. They like to short out the board, that way. If it still doesn't work, I'd say you're pretty well hosed. mobo or cpu is bad.

More
18 Oct 2009 08:21 #349 by Scootpogo
Yeah good point nacell. I one time had a case screw fall into the back of my mobo. And for the life of me i couldnt figure out what was going on. After coming to a stand i just decided to go through and do a full upgrade. I was planning to anyway. After changing everything out i saw a screw stuck to two solder points on the back of the mobo. Plugged all my old stuff back in and to my amazement everything booted up peachy keen.

More
19 Oct 2009 03:24 #372 by NitrosDragon
Will check behind the mobo, but I did try all available slots and single RAM. Power Supply is fine, the PCIe card's fan would run when the computer was one, and no I didn't forget the PCIe power cable either. ;]

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
19 Oct 2009 03:30 #373 by garfi3ld
how do you know the power supply is fine?

do you have a speaker pluged into the motherboard? Is it beeping when you boot? If so how may?

Wes

More
19 Oct 2009 05:40 #375 by Reaper
You also don't mention what sort of PSU you're using unless I missed that, please tell us - both brand and wattage. I've run into problems before where a PSU and mobo are incompatible due to the PSU not quite delivering the tolerances required by the mobo on the ATX12V CPU line, that was years ago on a P4 build, but it's possible issues like that still exist today.

The other really stupid thing I've seen before is a defective case with the reset switch broke in the pressed position. Either way do what Nacelle said, run the system outside the case with minimal RAM, no drives, & if you can find a PCI video card, use that, & short the pins normally used by the power switch with a screwdriver. If I have to do that, I generally take the mobo box & set the antistatic bag the mobo was wrapped in on top, then build the system on top of that, putting the PSU near the box. Keep the PSU plugged in while working and if you have to move a lot, touch the chassis of the PSU to release any static energy buildup.

If none of that gets it, you've got something defective. My first thoughts would be to reseat the CPU, making sure no pins (if applicable, I haven't worked with AMD in a while) are bent. Clean the heatsink & CPU off until they are pristine using any of the 100 easily google-able ways of doing so, apply a BB size drop of thermal compound to the center of the CPU or HSF, attach both and try again. Plug your HSF back in at this point and give it a go. And if it's still not working at this point you may find it simpler to drop some cash at a local shop for a diagnostic if you absolutely need it running before the weekend. I know Stone Computer in Ft Wayne charged $45 for that a few years back. Good luck!

More
20 Oct 2009 01:40 #410 by NitrosDragon
I don't really have any time to go back over to Shafin's house and spend time fixing his computer this week. Unless something magical happens, we plan on getting it running at the LAN. Two heads are better than one, three heads are better than two, and so on...

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
21 Oct 2009 03:25 #489 by Shafin
Hey guys, It's me Shafin that Nitros is talking about..I don't know too much about computers...and I don't want to do anything myself because I don't want to risk breaking anything, But if you need any info about it, Like the Power Supply is an OCZGXS700 watt power supply...If there's anything else you need. Let me know...And also...Thank you all for taking the time to try and help us get my computer started...Thank you very much.

More
21 Oct 2009 03:59 #494 by Scootpogo
yeah if it is the button find a new one or do it the ghetto way and take something metal and jump the pins yourself.

More
21 Oct 2009 16:44 #548 by Nacelle

Shafin wrote: I don't know too much about computers...and I don't want to do anything myself because I don't want to risk breaking anything,

You've got to learn sometime. If your motherboard is bad, you're coming to a lan with no PC. Not a good thing. Unplug it and start taking it apart. And do what I said to do. If you still can't figure it out, just bring all the parts to the lan. That will save whoever is helping you there, some time.

More
26 Oct 2009 01:17 #695 by NitrosDragon
We never figured out the problem, because it booted right away at the LAN! Thanks to everyone for the concern, glad to see so many people eager to help. =]

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
26 Oct 2009 01:19 #696 by Shafin
Someone suggested that it was a power thing, that the power flow was uneven or what not, so when i got home, plugged it into the wall and started, and yes, Thank you to everyone who was so willing to help and even asked about it when we got there, Thanks =]

More
26 Oct 2009 03:01 #719 by garfi3ld
glad it worked out, just dont forget about this issue. It may come back in the future

Wes

More
26 Oct 2009 05:13 #723 by LinkyPwns
yeah you want to try and "cold" boot it (which means leaving it unplugged from the wall for a few hours). it gives the capacitors inside the power supply to dissipate all their electricity and get a nice new boot when it turns on. When my computer is unplugged from the wall and moved around it will boot on for about 3-4 seconds, restart and then boot up normally. if you are in a rush to discharge those caps you can unplug your pc from the wall and hold down your power button for 10-15 seconds.

We have 1533 guests and no members online

supportus