Valve announces SteamOS

More
23 Sep 2013 17:38 #32888 by Dreyvas
Linux-based, streamlined, designed for living rooms. Thoughts?

store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2013 17:51 #32889 by Arxon

More
25 Sep 2013 17:18 #32943 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Valve announces SteamOS
store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

Definitely getting in on this if possible. :)

More
25 Sep 2013 22:24 #32949 by Deb0
Replied by Deb0 on topic Valve announces SteamOS
My question, why not just hook up your gaming PC to a large screen TV and use the Big Screen functionality already? Streaming is never going to be as good and playing from the source. This actually makes no sense to me.

More
25 Sep 2013 22:32 #32950 by Dreyvas

mem0man wrote: My question, why not just hook up your gaming PC to a large screen TV and use the Big Screen functionality already? Streaming is never going to be as good and playing from the source. This actually makes no sense to me.

Well, a few things. Not everyone has their gaming rig in the same room as their big TV(s). Also, SteamOS isn't just for streaming, it will be able to play games natively as well.

More
25 Sep 2013 23:20 #32951 by Deb0
Replied by Deb0 on topic Valve announces SteamOS
On a much less powerful machine. That will probably cost more then the cable to connect you main PC to your livingroom tv.

More
25 Sep 2013 23:26 #32952 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Valve announces SteamOS
As someone who uses an HTPC already I'm kind of curious what benefits I would gain moving from windows with my steam big picture mode to this. Along with that, if I were to install this OS what would I be loosing. Would I still be able to play music and video files that are on my network? I would be all about this if it integrated what I do already with increased steam functionality but if I would still have to run a second PC as my HTPC I doubt I would end up doing, as much as I would want to support it.

Please keep in mind I have been so busy that I really know nothing about it all. Please educate me

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
25 Sep 2013 23:46 #32953 by Dreyvas

mem0man wrote: On a much less powerful machine. That will probably cost more then the cable to connect you main PC to your livingroom tv.

Not everyone has the capability to just run a cable, this is heavily dependent on your layout. This is coming from someone that DOES run HDMI from my computer to my living room TV, heh.

Wes, I don't think anyone really knows a lot about it yet. It's Linux-based, I would assume a Debian distro. You'll likely be able to maintain all your HTPC capabilities. I know that's definitely something I'd be very interested in as well, especially in the future when my living situation might not allow me to easily connect my gaming rig to my big TV.

More
26 Sep 2013 00:04 #32954 by Wooderson
Replied by Wooderson on topic Valve announces SteamOS
I personally feel this is not directed at highend hardware enthusiast. Most of the LanOC community falls into this category. So maybe its not for us as much as an gateway to bring the mid-twentys something and up console gamers to what I consider to be a more mature gaming platform. Wow I sound so old.

I kill CPU's
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
26 Sep 2013 02:18 #32955 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Valve announces SteamOS
Or you could just dual boot the htpc. when you want to game boot up steamos and for movie time the htpc os.

More
26 Sep 2013 02:26 #32956 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:Valve announces SteamOS
If that's the case I would just run windows and do both :p

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

Wes

More
26 Sep 2013 03:53 #32958 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:Valve announces SteamOS

garfi3ld wrote: If that's the case I would just run windows and do both :p

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk 4

If the game streaming works properly, you'd be able to stream stuff with SteamOS that you probably wouldn't be able to touch with Windows otherwise.

More
26 Sep 2013 04:28 #32959 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:Valve announces SteamOS
I agree, especially if you are using something a little more lower end

Wes

More
26 Sep 2013 21:24 #32964 by L0rdG1gabyt3
At first i thought.. Meh... but now, Im more like hrm... Perhaps when it launches, ill be more like oh... and then if it goes well, then ill be like I see, but if its bad then ill be like oh well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: draymac

We have 2141 guests and one member online

supportus