Delidding my 3770K

More
21 Jul 2013 23:25 - 21 Jul 2013 23:27 #31810 by SpeedBump
Delidding my 3770K was created by SpeedBump
Hey guys! Yep, boredom is killing me. Waiting around for more parts for my build so been looking for something to do. The weather here has been extremely warm as of late and my office is not A/C'd. Ambient temps out here have been well into the upper 80s (lower 30s celsius) It got me to thinkin about some things. I run my rig 4.6ghz @ 1.375v and in normal conditions (70s) it holds a modest 65-75c under full load. (F@H, Prime 95, Orthos) With the temps up, it was pushing upwards of 90c. I had to back it down to stock volts to keep temps in check. IVY Bridge chips are well known for the crappy TIM between the die and heatspreader and lots of guys delid them and put some aftermarket TIM in there.

I was very hessitant about doing this myself as I didn't wanna trash a fairly expensive cpu. In the past I have tinkered around with some older CPUs that I really didn't have a concern about, but this is my main rig and, well, you know.

About a week or so ago, I saw a post about a fairly new delidding procedure that is becoming more and more popular. Vice, block of wood and a HAMMER!!!! WAT? :woohoo:

I decided to go ahead and do it. Figure what the hell! If I fail, just one more excuse to get new STUFF!

I didn't take pictures or video, not that there is that much to actually see. I can report that it went QUITE smoothly and the results are impressive to say the least. ATM, ambient temp here in my office is 83F (28-29c). My rig has been Folding @ 100% and is currently at a nice cool 48c. (average of the 4 cores with the hottest 52c and lowest 43c) Like I said earlier, normally these temps are in the mid to upper 80s +. HUGE difference. This is the TIM I used. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608008

Oh, I almost forgot, once I had the IHS off the cpu, I went ahead and lapped it too! ;) Not sure how much difference it made, but figured what the hell. :evil:

Just thought I'd pass that along to anyone else thinkin about doing this with their Ivy Bridge. Go for it. It is WELL worth the time and effort.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2013 23:27 by SpeedBump.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld, trgtprctc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2013 20:50 #31865 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:Delidding my 3770K
Nice numbers!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: SpeedBump

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We have 1821 guests and no members online

supportus