SSD Death Experiences

More
08 Jun 2013 22:15 #31383 by Wingcmdr77
Besides what I have read on various posts, last one in a tech forum; what have some of you experienced on impeding death on your SSD Drives? Slow performance, corrupt data, error messages, finally the reboot: missing operating system or boot loader missing.

Lastly, what experiences have you had when you've RMA'd the drives? The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, please!? B)

I know as with many of you I won't go back to an SSD for my main Drive. I'll use either the hybrid back up or Sata Drive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2013 22:18 #31384 by Satansoul
Replied by Satansoul on topic SSD Death Experiences
My SSD as my main drive is going on 4 years with not a problem. I don't know why people are having such problems with SSDs.

More
08 Jun 2013 22:42 #31386 by renegade
Replied by renegade on topic SSD Death Experiences
I have 4 systems running SSD's as main drives with no issues so far at all. I have seen alot of issues with OCZ SSD's. Seen 1 Kingston die but they replaced it in less then a week. Also seen 1 Mushkin fail and they replaced that fast as well.

I see more regular spinning media sata drives fail then I do SS'd
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3

More
09 Jun 2013 03:17 #31390 by h4lt
Replied by h4lt on topic SSD Death Experiences
Been running my OS on a Samsung SSD for about a year now with no issues.

More
09 Jun 2013 06:04 - 09 Jun 2013 06:05 #31392 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic SSD Death Experiences
Intel 520 series here for just over a year.... not a bit of problems. Still takes longer to POST than to boot Windows :D
Last edit: 09 Jun 2013 06:05 by L0rdG1gabyt3. Reason: Completed my thought in a coherent way

More
09 Jun 2013 08:44 - 09 Jun 2013 08:45 #31394 by SpeedBump
Replied by SpeedBump on topic SSD Death Experiences
Got 3 PCs and two laptops all rollin SSDs as main drives. Been with them for a year or so. No failures yet. (2 Sammies, 1 Crucial M4, 1 Crucial M4 mSata and 1 unkown mSata).
Had a couple OCZs and have heard horror stories, but had no issues with either of mine that were both Agility 3s.

All but one laptop runs data drives for backup. Speaking of backup storage drives. I just had to RMA a 9 month old WD 2TB EARS. Lost 1.7TB of data. :pinch: So much for backups. Now, anything SUPER important gets backed up on DVD or flash media AND an external HD. ;)

Never had to RMA a SSD yet, so can't comment on it. GL.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2013 08:45 by SpeedBump.

More
09 Jun 2013 18:47 #31396 by trgtprctc
Replied by trgtprctc on topic SSD Death Experiences
I also have had higher failure rates with mechanical drives than SSD's. Buying quality is key. Going for the budget basement fire sale model is likely asking for trouble.

More
09 Jun 2013 20:39 #31397 by cytog64
Replied by cytog64 on topic SSD Death Experiences
3 OCZ drives purchased over the last 3 years with no failures (sold all recently on ebay)
Current 256gb Kingston HyperX no issues either

Mine never fail because I paid MicroCenter the 10$ insurance fee (rip off electronics store warranty)...this obviously guarantees that they will survive nuclear winter [sarcasm]
The following user(s) said Thank You: draymac

More
09 Jun 2013 23:34 #31398 by Wooderson
Replied by Wooderson on topic SSD Death Experiences
I had a OCZ SSD die on me, but that was my fault. I received a replacement and its been going strong for a year and a half now. As far as standard storage drives go I have lost 2 and one that's going to go soon out of my wife's laptop. They all gave me warnings so I was able to backup my data.

I kill CPU's

We have 1590 guests and no members online

supportus