Windows 8 Microsoft Changing Directions

More
08 May 2013 01:13 #30599 by Wingcmdr77
www.cnn.com/2013/05/07/business/micrsoft-windows-8-u-turn/

Wonder what all the changes are? I can guess a couple.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2013 01:40 #30600 by Dreyvas
I guarantee boot to desktop will be a prominently displayed option, if not a default. Maybe we'll even see the Start menu return.

More
08 May 2013 02:35 #30601 by garfi3ld
Windows 8 isnt a bad OS, they just forced a tablet interface on desktop users when they didn't have too

I would love to have a desktop with the start menu and then on the right side in the background be able to have the "metro" interface similar to the gadgets they used to have

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
08 May 2013 03:03 #30602 by trgtprctc
Sounds like a great option to me. The Modern UI is not horrible, but I hardly ever use it. I spend most of my time in desktop and agree that all around, Windows 8 is great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
08 May 2013 11:35 #30608 by Plague
I loaded my personal laptop, which I keep at work to watch movies and TV on. For this type of use even without a touch screen, it works good. BUT I would never load it on my gaming system. I have had to install 2 to 3 programs to bring back key features that I love from windows 7.

More
08 May 2013 15:37 #30609 by Dreyvas

Plague wrote: I loaded my personal laptop, which I keep at work to watch movies and TV on. For this type of use even without a touch screen, it works good. BUT I would never load it on my gaming system. I have had to install 2 to 3 programs to bring back key features that I love from windows 7.

I find Windows 8 works perfectly well for gaming and have had virtually zero compatibility issues FWIW

More
30 May 2013 05:30 #31173 by Dreyvas

Dreyvas wrote: I guarantee boot to desktop will be a prominently displayed option, if not a default. Maybe we'll even see the Start menu return.

bgr.com/2013/05/29/windows-8-1-leaked-screenshot-start-button/

More
30 May 2013 07:17 #31178 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Yes, a Start button. All it does it take you to the START MENU. Its what everyone have been complaining about. Now, instead of clicking in that general area, like a popup picture of the start menu isn't enough, you can click a window icon.

I had a bunch more thoughts I had started to put here, but after awhile, it started to sound like complaining against people, so i changed it to this explanation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
30 May 2013 09:53 #31179 by Arxon
I just want the Metro UI gone for desktop and laptops that don't have a touch screen

More
30 May 2013 15:28 #31181 by Wooderson
Looks like Microsoft is releasing a mouse with a start button built in. So if you don't mind spending $30 to $40 more dollars on an unneeded OS upgrade you can have a start button at your fingertips (well thumb tip).

www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/24/microsof...dows-8-start-buttons

I kill CPU's

More
30 May 2013 15:42 - 30 May 2013 19:06 #31182 by L0rdG1gabyt3

Arxon wrote: I just want the Metro UI gone for desktop and laptops that don't have a touch screen

It should detect if there is touch hardware installed, and if not set the option to boot to desktop by default, but if it completely DISABLED the start screen, there would be much functionality lost.

Honestly, I cant believe im defending MS on this one. Ive actually been steering my customers away from Win8 unless they are interested in getting a touch screen, and Ive found myself frustrated with the behavior of Win8 on a few laptops, but like I said before, an start button to take you back to the Metro/Modern UI Start Screen is not a proper fix. I think it will actually make more people upset when they click on that button expecting a start menu, and end up with the start screen.

Heres a quick secret.... 99.9% of Win8 users have had a "Start Button" the entire time! Its on the bottom row of the keyboard, just to the left of the spacebar, inbetween CTRL and ALT! In fact, it has a Window logo on it JUST LIKE YOUR PRECIOUS START BUTTON!!!! :woohoo:

Im not trying to be overly critical of any one person here on the forums, just venting my opionins on all the hullabaloo about a frickin button. The boot to desktop is a much more valuable feature in 8.1
Last edit: 30 May 2013 19:06 by L0rdG1gabyt3.

More
30 May 2013 23:50 #31189 by Satansoul
I want the normal start button and menu back for my desktop. Also what functionality are you talking about? I have seen none with the metro UI that i can get from a normal windows start menu. Also not all keyboards have that button. I have fixed a few computers that didn't have that button.

We have 2274 guests and no members online

supportus