3D printers?

More
21 Mar 2013 06:06 #30054 by CrazyBillyBob
3D printers? was created by CrazyBillyBob
Ok guys,
Who has em, what do you have and what are your thoughts on them? (3d Printers that is)

Those that don't have one what do you think about 3d Printing? are you interested? is it a passing fad? What would they have to be able to do to get you interested in buying one? and what would you be willing to spend for one at that point?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2013 06:48 #30055 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic 3D printers?
I'm interested in a maker bot but its well out of my price range. I think once I see them down in the $400 I would be looking at one

Wes

More
21 Mar 2013 08:03 #30057 by evildoer
Replied by evildoer on topic 3D printers?
I've been thinking about getting one for a while now, I just know it's one of those things I'd have fun with for a few minutes then shelf because it doesn't work as well as i could.

I think 3D printing is too practical to be a fad, but it's definitely in its infancy.

We're looking at a tool that takes up only a small footprint that can effectively replicate anything everything from basic home items such as hand tools, outlet covers, dining utensils, replacement parts, etc.

You know, lose a battery cover for a remote.. download and print a new one.

I believe it was USC is working on a 3D printer that can effectively build a house, concrete and all!

More
21 Mar 2013 16:55 #30061 by CrazyBillyBob
Replied by CrazyBillyBob on topic 3D printers?
I've been looking into these printers for quite awhile. I ordered a Soliddoodle 3 a few weeks ago, but it will be at least the middle of next month before it arrives. I picked it because of the size vs price for $800 you get a 8x8x8 inch print window. Not the largest on the market but cheaper then most other comparable printers.
Once it gets here I have a few projects planed for it. Once I kick it around abit I'll make sure to let you guys know what I think of it. It should be a fun summer for me as we're planning on using the printer in at least one class for middle school students next fall. So I need to learn how it works. Then design directions that teenagers can follow. I also think I want to play with Acetone vapor polishing of the ABS parts. looks easy enough just may take some time to figure out the best times for different items.

More
21 Mar 2013 17:49 #30064 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic 3D printers?
I have a 3d model of the lanoc logo, let mw know :D

I could use a nice LanOC standee

Wes

More
23 Mar 2013 05:37 #30109 by CrazyBillyBob
Replied by CrazyBillyBob on topic 3D printers?
I'll make you a deal.... You cover the cost of spool of filament and I'll print up 13 for lanoc V13 :)

We have 2378 guests and no members online

supportus