pfSense for QoS at a LAN Party

More
05 Jan 2013 23:48 - 05 Jan 2013 23:50 #28809 by Arxon
elgwhoppo.com/2012/11/17/using-pfsense-f...ds-and-http-traffic/

One of our friends at ForgeLAN wrote this up. What he did was amazing.

Awesome job JOOOOOOOOOO!
Last edit: 05 Jan 2013 23:50 by Arxon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: h4lt, JOOOOOOOOOO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jan 2013 23:43 #28814 by Plague
that is a great write up. And if I can get my pfsense computer to boot pfsense then it will be very useful. Thank JOOOOOOOO.

More
07 Jan 2013 00:40 #28815 by JOOOOOOOOOO
Thx Arxon! I should be posting updated firewall rules today, some of the old ones didn't have UDP traffic in them, which meant laggy LoL and SC2.

More
07 Jan 2013 02:58 #28817 by JOOOOOOOOOO
Just updated the rules to v1.1 and added more to the post.

More
07 Jan 2013 06:23 #28818 by Plague
Hey JOOOOOOOOOO. Thanks for the comment reply on your blog. I was able to get it to install but I am running into the same problem I had the first time. I got a screen with the following and it is stuck on it.

F1 pfSense

F6 PXE
Boot: F1
\

And it just is stuck on that, no ethernet plugged in. It is a P4 with 2Gb RAM and some sata hard drive in it. I am using the onboard NIC and 1 tp-link 1Gb PCI card.

I am not sure why it will not boot.

More
07 Jan 2013 09:37 #28823 by Dreyvas

Plague wrote: Hey JOOOOOOOOOO. Thanks for the comment reply on your blog. I was able to get it to install but I am running into the same problem I had the first time. I got a screen with the following and it is stuck on it.

F1 pfSense

F6 PXE
Boot: F1
\

And it just is stuck on that, no ethernet plugged in. It is a P4 with 2Gb RAM and some sata hard drive in it. I am using the onboard NIC and 1 tp-link 1Gb PCI card.

I am not sure why it will not boot.

Definitely sounds to me like the hardware and pfSense aren't getting along somehow. Maybe try Googling some of the components to see if they're known to be problematic with pfSense?

More
08 Jan 2013 08:38 #28840 by JOOOOOOOOOO
Like Dreyvas said, perhaps the hardware isn't configured right or compatible. Sounds to me like a disk controller.

forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=39180.0

The above topic had a guy with a similar issue, can you try setting the SATA operation to IDE instead of AHCI?

After that, the next best bet would be checking the FreeBSD supported hardware list to see if your controller/mobo is on there. HTH!

www.freebsd.org/releases/8.1R/hardware.html

More
09 Jan 2013 01:53 #28843 by Plague
hardware was the problem. but instead of figuring it out. I just grabbed an older computer with IDE drives and it is working. going through the configuration now.

More
10 Apr 2013 22:51 #30347 by Sideout
If your interested in how to get the traffic shaping working with multi-wan interfaces for load balancing you can see some screenies here - (forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,60613.0.html).

Basically for shaping to work correctly you have to use floating rules and select all the interfaces under those rules with leaving the direction at any.

Additionally , I chose to use Alias's for the gaming protocls and ports and grouped them per game type to help with troubleshooting.

This has been tested live at the NeXus-miniLAN on April 6th and will be run again at the next one. We had 18 people at the miniLAN banging away at this with two TWC 30/5 modems load balancing and there were a couple of people downloading games from Steam and others gaming on the internet with no one having any lag or issues.

The key to the load balancing is to add to the default any any rule for the LAN a gateway group so that traffic will go out either WAN connection. Sitcky connections are needed so you don't gateway bounce and cause freeze issues in certain games.

This will basically be the same config applied to the LANOC router and run at the next event.

This type of config can be expanded for however many interfaces and then you can get fancy with the gateway groups as well for failover.

I plan on testing a live failover at the mini-LAN to see what happens when we lose a WAN connection.

I am the LAN!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JOOOOOOOOOO

More
05 Sep 2013 00:03 #32610 by JOOOOOOOOOO
Excellent post Sideout, thanks much. I've posted another revision of the config that has individualized TCP limiters, in case that's of interest. We'll see how it fares at Forge LAN on the 20th.

elgwhoppo.com/2013/09/04/pfsense-lan-par...limited-tcp-streams/

More
05 Sep 2013 00:33 #32614 by Dreyvas

JOOOOOOOOOO wrote: Excellent post Sideout, thanks much. I've posted another revision of the config that has individualized TCP limiters, in case that's of interest. We'll see how it fares at Forge LAN on the 20th.

elgwhoppo.com/2013/09/04/pfsense-lan-par...limited-tcp-streams/

Might also want to check this out: www.lanoc.org/forum/18-tech-talk/27176-s...e-bandwidth-solution

More
05 Sep 2013 00:45 #32616 by Sideout
Nice. I have wanted to play with limiters but felt that it was a bulky configuration.

I have been using Layer7 blocks as well for BitTorrent and other protocols that are port agile and it seems to work pretty well for catching the majority of them.

When I turn it on , my curse client fails to download but when I turn it off , it works fine.

It will be interesting to see how the current config holds up under load. Based off of NexusLAN the last time , it did well and I have had some time to refine it and tune it a bit more along with adding the Nginx server for caching.

I am the LAN!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

We have 1570 guests and one member online

supportus