App to make Windows 8 a much better OS!!!

More
15 Nov 2012 00:47 #28441 by renegade
Found this today. Adds in the start menu we all miss, and bypasses the modern ui at startup and goes straight to the desktop!!! With alot of options to customize the start menu etc!

classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2012 01:26 #28442 by Dreyvas
My only problem with this is why bother? It is literally one click in the metro UI to go to the desktop environment, and it is flawless, it's not like switching to desktop takes any amount of time.

Also, I don't feel a Start button is necessary whatsoever. Look at the menu you get when you click the lower left-hand corner, as I posted in another topic:

I've been on W8 for a little while now. It is faster than 7, highly optimized and great for gaming. I have had no compatibility problems, and it has been even better at finding drivers than 7 was. Since I've given it a chance, I don't see a reason for the hatred at all, and this is coming from someone that still thinks the Metro UI is incredibly pointless. Just use the desktop environment for everything and it becomes a worthy successor to W7.

More
15 Nov 2012 01:50 #28444 by Arxon

Dreyvas wrote: My only problem with this is why bother? It is literally one click in the metro UI to go to the desktop environment, and it is flawless, it's not like switching to desktop takes any amount of time.

Also, I don't feel a Start button is necessary whatsoever. Look at the menu you get when you click the lower left-hand corner, as I posted in another topic:

I've been on W8 for a little while now. It is faster than 7, highly optimized and great for gaming. I have had no compatibility problems, and it has been even better at finding drivers than 7 was. Since I've given it a chance, I don't see a reason for the hatred at all, and this is coming from someone that still thinks the Metro UI is incredibly pointless. Just use the desktop environment for everything and it becomes a worthy successor to W7.

The good things i have been hearing about Win8 are good have not heard anything bad yet. Might give it a go at the price they are selling it at.

More
15 Nov 2012 01:50 #28445 by renegade
I like having the start button and its alot more configurable etc then the left click thing. Not sure why MS left taht in when they said they didnt want any start type menu at all in the OS. But I prefer the add on myself. but over all if you can get it cheap then yeah, but its not worth the 70, or after jan 31 the 120 to upgrade from 7 IMO as the benchmarks show that 7 and 8 are pretty much neck and neck in speed with a tad better towards 8 at times.

More
15 Nov 2012 02:00 #28447 by Dreyvas

renegade wrote: I like having the start button and its alot more configurable etc then the left click thing. Not sure why MS left taht in when they said they didnt want any start type menu at all in the OS. But I prefer the add on myself. but over all if you can get it cheap then yeah, but its not worth the 70, or after jan 31 the 120 to upgrade from 7 IMO as the benchmarks show that 7 and 8 are pretty much neck and neck in speed with a tad better towards 8 at times.

I'd concur with the upgrade price assessment. Do it if you can get it dirt cheap or free through school/work. I got W8 Enterprise Pro x64 through our Technet sub at work, personally.

Start menu is obviously personal preference, but like I said with the lower left hand menu default in W8 I haven't missed it much if at all.

From a security perspective W8 is looking good as well. thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/11/09/wind...s-right-out-the-box/

We have 2056 guests and no members online

supportus