Video/Sound Card Orientation

More
20 Sep 2012 16:24 #28050 by Twodavez
I've always wondered why the makers of the video cards (and the most recent sound card reviewed by LAN OC) puts the cool plastic and graphics on the bottom of the card when installed. They design these amazing graphics/plastic designs to cover the GPU and headsink, but then it ends up facing the bottom of the case and all we get to see/enjoy is the back half of the motherboard of the card.

When cases coming with lights, windows and other things to show off the inside, why aren't they (the manufactures) flipping around the video cards to have the cool stuff on the "top" when installed?

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2012 16:47 #28054 by garfi3ld
I think we had this talk before somewhere.

It all comes down to history. Everything we do now is based on original PC designs. ATX for example was created in 1995. This encompasses motherboard designs, case layout, and power supply connections. We have basically started with ATX and just built on it by adding more connections. Companies have tried to come out with new designs like BTX but without everyones support they just don't take off.

In order for everything to change you would have to change every single part in your computer. A lot of people carry over some parts from their last build as they upgrade. A new standard would change all of that. Because of that most people won't want to change.

Personally I would love to see major changes. Look at power supplys, we keep adding more and more cables for powering memory, cpu, and video cards. I would love to see a much simpler power cable design with a larger gauge wire being used along with pushing more power for video cards through the bus rather than external power cables. This of course would mean new power supplies, motherboards, video cards, new slot designs, ect.

Wes

More
20 Sep 2012 16:55 #28056 by Twodavez
We talked about it at the last LAN, but seeing that new sound card you reveiwed got me frustrated that they spent all that time and money putting the nice packaging for the bottom of the card...

They changed the number of RAM slots for some of the early i7 chips to triple channel, they've changed how these PC's are designed, we've gone from IDE to Sata so i'm sure they could figure out some type of extra converter piece that allow old parts to be used for a little while longer. I'm not trying to argue, just stating my response to the fact that people always say that's just how it's always been.

I agree with you, lets make some changes! :-)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
20 Sep 2012 18:01 #28059 by garfi3ld
lanoc.org/kunenaforum/19-qaa/24267-video-card-orientation#24300

:p

Changing ram and SATA are just motherboard changes. Something as simple as flipping the PCI express slots over requires full platform changes from case manufactures, video card manufactures, and motherboard manufactures.

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
20 Sep 2012 18:51 #28060 by Twodavez

garfi3ld wrote: lanoc.org/kunenaforum/19-qaa/24267-video-card-orientation#24300

:p

That was 5 months ago and nothing has changed, so i figured it was worth bringing up again

:whistle:

More
20 Sep 2012 20:52 #28068 by Myndmelt

garfi3ld wrote: Look at power supplys, we keep adding more and more cables for powering memory, cpu, and video cards. I would love to see a much simpler power cable design with a larger gauge wire being used along with pushing more power for video cards through the bus rather than external power cables.

Not to mention that enthusiast cases now come with power supply mounting at the bottom yet where are your power connectors on most motherboards? The upper left by the CPU and upper right of the board. It seems a little silly to have to buy extension cables just to have a nice cable management style and get power to your board.

We have 2415 guests and no members online

supportus