Prolimatech PK-3 FTW

More
04 Sep 2012 07:08 #27803 by evildoer
Grabbed a PK-3 and PK-2 from the LAN yesterday at the end..

For the past year, I've been running a 2600K OC'd to 4.6GHz on a DP67BG with a coolermaster N520 with stock N520 goo in a Raven 3. Temps were pretty good, about 80C on Prime 95 after 10 minutes IIRC. Well within TDP.

I decided to move to a Corsair H60 in a push/pull config mounted to the top of my chassis which I had installed a week ago, I was using the stock Corsair goo. First thing I did was ramp all of my fan headers to 100% at all times and connected the pump to SYS1. Temps were at or ABOVE TDP within about a minute, clearly unacceptable. Idle (still OC'd) was about 50 degrees. I checked the goo on the processor, and it never really transferred over from the pump to the proc. Just some residue. I checked all the fasteners to make sure there was good contact and without the goo transferring, I couldn't be certain.

I ran to radioshack, they didn't have what I would call a decent selection, and bought some thermal compound. Radio Shack brand of course. I cleaned off the Corsair goo and with the radio shack goo confirmed there was good contact between the pump and the proc pretty quickly, but my temps remained about the same. So to be safe, I drop the OC to stock (3.4Ghz/3.8Ghz Turbo) and my temps dropped to 40 idle and 85 full load with the H60 and Radio Shack goo. I decide to let it burn in for a day to see if it just needs some time. Temps stay about the same.

Today, I cleaned up the radioshack goo, applied the Prolimatech PK-3, and I'm running at 34 idle and 58 full load within 10 minutes. Tomorrow I'll reapply the OC and probably be at the same OC I was with the Intel Stock with my fans not ramped up to 100% of the time all the time.

I'll call the corsair goo on my cooler a fluke, I know it is. I have too much experience with this cooler. Still, this experience will force me to never use stock goo again.

I'll call the radioshack goo a fail.

I'll call the PK-3 goo a win.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2012 07:29 #27804 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Prolimatech PK-3 FTW
That's awesome, thanks for sharing.

More
04 Sep 2012 09:29 #27805 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Prolimatech PK-3 FTW
Sweet when I move stuff to the new CM Storm Scout that Mrs Myndmelt won :laugh: I will go ahead and try that out and see if the temps change. What is the difference between the PK3 and PK2?

More
04 Sep 2012 17:31 #27811 by jj_Sky5000
Replied by jj_Sky5000 on topic Prolimatech PK-3 FTW
I would suggest always replacing as well if your vrave enough the GPU goo as well. It will make a difference on temps

We have 1047 guests and no members online

supportus