Reliable Freeware CPU Tester

More
20 Jun 2012 07:13 #25813 by Wingcmdr77
Anyone know of a reliable Cpu tester that will tell me if its pass/fail? Its an AMD 9950 Black Edition. Bios Recognizes it. But It could fail under load. I'm hoping to all run it under a boot able OS (Live CD) as no to waste time loading the OS and applications.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2012 15:39 #25818 by Wingcmdr77
Anyone? ;)

More
20 Jun 2012 16:01 #25819 by garfi3ld
from my experience its almost never the CPU unless its an overclocking issue, damaged pins, or (from back before heat spreaders) thermal paste issues.
If you are able to boot the CPU is normally good as well. You are welcome to put it under load using something like prime95. The CPU is different than RAM where each sector can be scanned and tested.

What is it doing

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3, Wingcmdr77

More
20 Jun 2012 18:42 #25823 by renegade
I agree with Wes, in 20+ years of repairing PC's I have only seen 2-3 bad CPU's in that whole time. ALOT of MB, Ram, PS etc but CPU's just don't fail really.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wingcmdr77

More
21 Jun 2012 00:59 #25826 by Wingcmdr77

garfi3ld wrote: from my experience its almost never the CPU unless its an overclocking issue, damaged pins, or (from back before heat spreaders) thermal paste issues.
If you are able to boot the CPU is normally good as well. You are welcome to put it under load using something like prime95. The CPU is different than RAM where each sector can be scanned and tested.

What is it doing

Well thats just it. I bent the pins, rebent them carefully. Didnt see any that broke off. Got it to post, bios recognizes it. Wanted to test it before I went to the trouble of loading the OS, apps, customizing it, etc. Via Live CD, version of a cpu tester program. Underload though it could conk out with prime.

I think I'll Prime 95 it and see what happens. Ran memtest 86, which I know is a side bar to this with 5 passes and it came out find.

thanks! for the input.

More
21 Jun 2012 04:09 #25828 by Wingcmdr77
It passed Prime 95 for 3 hours. I then took it out and looked at it with a magnifying glass. No broken pins and they seemed to have gotten even straighter in the socket.

thanks for the assist.

We have 2070 guests and one member online

supportus