Never enough (Let's upgrade!)

More
06 Jun 2012 17:55 #25506 by Lersar
If you guys are like me, you're constantly thinking about upgrading your computer(s). Little, big, inevitable or just a dream, whats on your mind?

I've been thinking about buying an SSD for my netbook. Nothing huge, 30GB probably. I've got a 250GB in it now and I'm using a little over 15. Despite conflicting reports on whether it truly helps or not, I'm going to give it a go. Besides, I have a family friend who is in need of a laptop hard drive and short on cash, so I think I'll just format the one I have in the netbook now and part with it cheap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2012 18:30 - 06 Jun 2012 18:33 #25508 by Myndmelt
I'm receiving a 30GB drive back from OCZ warranty soon, but I would like a bigger one for my laptop. If I were you I would not go 30 gb. Even with a 2nd drive in my 17" laptop, windows updates and stuff will over take that 30 gb drive if you constantly maintain your files and make sure everything gets installed to the other drive. I'm assuming you are running windows 7.

I also have a 30GB drive in my desktop and its always nearly full as well.

I think I am going to tryout the Intel SRT technology since I have a Z68 motherboard, which lets me use my SSD as a super fast cache and it will learn which files I use most and speed things up. This way I can use like a 1TB drive as my main drive.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2012 18:33 by Myndmelt.

More
06 Jun 2012 18:37 #25509 by garfi3ld
I replaced the hard drive in my netbook with an ssd a long time ago and haven't looked back. Not only does it boot faster but I saw longer battery life as well.

Wes

More
06 Jun 2012 18:42 #25510 by Lersar
Well, its a netbook, and one I literally do nothing more than install the OS, word processor, and browse the net. Any files I need to access to work on are hosted through my network. Literally after having the little guy for almost two years, installing a few games on the go (which I probably wouldn't transfer over, never play them anyway... Diablo 1 for example), various unimportant documents and pictures, temp stuff for school, etc. I've used 15.2GB.

The only reason to buy something bigger would be the intention of using it for a different purpose once this netbook, for whatever reason, is gone. To go to 64GB is about thirty more dollars, and I still don't feel comfortable making with that capacity as a primary drive anyway.

I do appreciate the input though, as you can tell I put a lot of thought into it as well.

More
06 Jun 2012 18:44 #25511 by Lersar

garfi3ld wrote: I replaced the hard drive in my netbook with an ssd a long time ago and haven't looked back. Not only does it boot faster but I saw longer battery life as well.

That's good to hear. I knew the boot speed would increase but I read a few opinions that the processor just bottle-necked any other perks of doing so.

It's interesting you brought the battery life up, that's an aspect I considered when deciding whether I should stick with XP or put 7 on it. Battery life was a little better with XP, granted it was only a matter of minutes.

More
06 Jun 2012 18:44 #25512 by Myndmelt
Sorry when I first read it I read it as 'notebook' not netbook. I would say 30gb might be okay on a netbook that has a small footprint OS and you don't really use a lot of files.

More
06 Jun 2012 18:50 #25514 by garfi3ld

Lersar wrote:

garfi3ld wrote: I replaced the hard drive in my netbook with an ssd a long time ago and haven't looked back. Not only does it boot faster but I saw longer battery life as well.

That's good to hear. I knew the boot speed would increase but I read a few opinions that the processor just bottle-necked any other perks of doing so.

It's interesting you brought the battery life up, that's an aspect I considered when deciding whether I should stick with XP or put 7 on it. Battery life was a little better with XP, granted it was only a matter of minutes.

It is CPU bottlenecked but its still worlds apart from its original performance imo.

Wes

More
06 Jun 2012 19:14 #25515 by Lersar
Good, gooooooood. Anyone else contemplating some upgrades or mods even?

More
06 Jun 2012 20:16 #25519 by Twodavez
I'm going to need a new video card prior to Quake Con this year, not sure the budget, but i'm sure i'll be asking for community recommendations when i'm ready to pull the trigger.

Besides that, i'm thinking about updgrading my mt bike and get a road bike, not a PC upgrade, but i might buy a tracking Computer for it, so that's technology! :P

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
06 Jun 2012 20:34 #25521 by Wingless92
Dave, for the games that you play a 550Ti or a 560Ti would work great. As for the bike upgrades I have no idea, lol.

More
06 Jun 2012 21:47 #25531 by Wingcmdr77
It's the weirdest thing with my SSD, I can find nothing like it on the Internet to prove I'm
not crazy or imagining this. Okay here goes:

As some of you do I reformat and install all my software at least 2 times a year. Nothing
like a clean install to get that extra speed.

So after the install I install STO online onto my 120 SSD Corsair GT. STO installs fine
updates/patches fine but half way through the launcher it crashes. No error Message/ Nothing
in the Event Log that I can find to point to a cause. Did this 3-5 times. I finally was like
WOW, wth. So I installed it to D: the D drive and it launches without fail and never does this.

I relaunched over 10 times to see if I could reproduce the problem. Nothing. I guess I'm
losing my gord. :silly:

More
06 Jun 2012 22:31 - 06 Jun 2012 22:33 #25541 by Arxon
I have heard some programs don't like the structure of SSDs. Like with LoL It loads faster on a disk drive than my ssd and I don't know why.

EDIT:

This might help

As far as C:\Users is concerned,

Create a new folder on your HDD, (assuming name= X )
Go to C:\Users\<Profile>
Right click on Desktop
Select properties
Click on location tab
Set location to X
Repeat the same for all the folders in C:\Users\<Profile>

For Program Files, let the main Program files folder exist on C: , and create another folder manually on your HDD

Then, when installing programs, select the manually created folder as the installation path

might be something in the user files for the game causing the problem.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2012 22:33 by Arxon.

We have 1761 guests and no members online

supportus