Firefox 8.0

More
12 Nov 2011 21:15 #20857 by Wingcmdr77
Firefox 8.0 was created by Wingcmdr77
I've used Firefox for years and these constant major updates are a little annoying. I felt safer when they were doing incremental updates and then releasing a new version after at least 6 months. Some of you swear by Chrome and I might be making that switch. Never liked Internet Exploder even though in some polls it supposedly catches a lot more malware with its Smartfilter so said a recent CPU mag article.

what do you guys/gals think?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2011 21:24 #20858 by cytog64
Replied by cytog64 on topic Re: Firefox 8.0
mine just upgraded a few minutes ago too

I still like FF. I tried Chrome last year and it wouldn't remember passwords for a few of my constantly visited sites(FF was working)...not a deal breaker...but I was too lazy to troubleshoot.

I'll try it for a little bit and see if I like it.

I never run without the NoScript Addon. This little program blocks all VB and Javascript and only passes html. Only the sites I allow run properly. I have not had a driveby download, click hijacking, popup, or virus since I started using NoScript.
noscript.net/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2, Wingcmdr77

More
13 Nov 2011 00:08 #20859 by chadkirchner
Replied by chadkirchner on topic Re: Firefox 8.0
I agree the incremental updates made a bit more sense. What I like about Chrome, I mean really really like about Chrome, is that you really don't ever notice it's updating. It's unnerving at first, but then you start to realize that you don't really want to know when there's an update, you just want it to update.

People diss Microsoft products when they can, but with things like IE 9 and Security Essentials, they are starting to take seriously the security concerns that users have.

More
15 Nov 2011 22:59 - 15 Nov 2011 23:00 #20918 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re: Firefox 8.0
With my connection, I'm pretty sure Chrome doesn't get updates. I do have to update FF manually for major updates, so the change from incremental to this has really pissed me off. But I make FF mine, and I trust it to be secure and reliable. I have about 20 tabs going, more in the background, and no other browsers offer what I use FF for. I think 8.0 got a bit delayed, and with any luck they will restore the previous pace.

It's honestly just an attempt to outnumber Chrome, because every time they change a character in the code they release a new Chrome version number. I blame Google entirely for the FF changes. If it wasn't for their browser, this post would be called Firefox 4.0.9 and there wouldn't be must said about it. And if they remove my search bar, I will blame Google. And also this talk of numberless updates in the future, I blame Google for that crap.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2011 23:00 by Leonresevil2.

More
17 Nov 2011 02:31 #20937 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re: Firefox 8.0
I don't think it is really good to keep updating like this especially in a enterprise environment where changes made to Production takes months to finalize then maybe a few more before the rollout. I read an article on Digg awhile ago and they asked the Firefox devs about this and basically they said we don't care about the business sector.
That's to bad and probably why people keep having IE in production because of mentalities like FireFox and Chrome with weekly updates.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
17 Nov 2011 03:00 #20940 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic Re: Firefox 8.0

drpain wrote: I don't think it is really good to keep updating like this especially in a enterprise environment where changes made to Production takes months to finalize then maybe a few more before the rollout. I read an article on Digg awhile ago and they asked the Firefox devs about this and basically they said we don't care about the business sector.
That's to bad and probably why people keep having IE in production because of mentalities like FireFox and Chrome with weekly updates.

nicely put! :)

More
17 Nov 2011 22:26 #20954 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re: Firefox 8.0
blog.mozilla.com/futurereleases/2011/11/...x-in-the-background/

First, I don't see much wrong with the way it is now. It's only the major updates that involve UI and heavier work, so the way they released updates before worked well enough. Patches were.. patches. They didn't require rebuilding the whole program.
The solution they are working for is having every update be a background installation of the entire browser, and swapping them out to save a few seconds every month when an update comes out. Oh Thank the lords, 5 less seconds the nubs have to wait before they can get back on twitland and never notice a thing that was changed in the update. In tradeoff, there's absolutely no chance of things screwing up by installing the program in multiple locations, and swapping all associated files around every time. Nope, not a chance that all your bookmarks, addons, and settings get dumped. But you better go through the work of setting them up to be on the cloud just in case.

This is definitely Google.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
18 Nov 2011 00:33 #20960 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: Firefox 8.0

Leonresevil2 wrote: With my connection, I'm pretty sure Chrome doesn't get updates. I do have to update FF manually for major updates, so the change from incremental to this has really pissed me off. But I make FF mine, and I trust it to be secure and reliable. I have about 20 tabs going, more in the background, and no other browsers offer what I use FF for. I think 8.0 got a bit delayed, and with any luck they will restore the previous pace.

It's honestly just an attempt to outnumber Chrome, because every time they change a character in the code they release a new Chrome version number. I blame Google entirely for the FF changes. If it wasn't for their browser, this post would be called Firefox 4.0.9 and there wouldn't be must said about it. And if they remove my search bar, I will blame Google. And also this talk of numberless updates in the future, I blame Google for that crap.

Chrome does get updates! They are silent. And the only time you would realize it is if you haven't closed chrome for a while, if there an update you will see the wrench icon looks green and has an up arrow icon on it. But most of the time it updates and you never know. Right now though I am having an issue with Chrome and links. Many times if you click on a web link it opens a new tab but the content doesn't load its just white, then you hit refresh and it loads. Its pretty annoying. But yeah about a year and a half ago I switched from being a big FF fan to chrome and I haven't looked back.

More
18 Nov 2011 06:10 #20968 by Davey_Boy
Replied by Davey_Boy on topic Re: Firefox 8.0
I <3 Chrome and that's all I'm gonna say cause u guys are covering everything quite well :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Myndmelt

More
08 Jan 2012 01:54 #22084 by tcolvinMI
Replied by tcolvinMI on topic Re: Firefox 8.0
I've been an avid Firefox user since the Phoenix days. It wasnt until version 3 that my disappointment started to develop and grow. Only in the last few days have I really considered making a switch. I love how Firefox can be extended, but I believe there are some things under the hood that need to be addressed. My primary concern here has to do with the amount of memory usage that Firefox is chewing up. Earlier today, I was lagging a little and noticed that Firefox was taking up approx 1/2 GB of RAM and there were almost no horribly demanding pages open (no youtube or video of any kind). Granted, I had the browser open for about a day and a half and had been using it pretty heavily during that time period. Its ridiculous that Firefox doesnt return the RAM its not using back to the OS.

My favorite feature about Chrome (other than the updates that you are never prompted to install) is that each tab is its own process. Too many times have I been working in Firefox and have it freeze up and have to kill it in the task manager. With the new rapid release schedule, I had to start using IE for the remote support tool we use at work, because Logmein didn't support the new version of Firefox. Even IE has the ability to run tabs as their own process. The only reason this is important to me is that if Im in the middle of several different things (a typical day will involve having at least a dozen tabs open), I dont want to lose what I have open because Logmein (or some other tab) crashes/freezes.

As I mentioned, Ive used Chrome before but am just now making the move to using it as my every day browser. So far, Im pretty impressed. Of course, Logmein Rescue now has an application to run the software, rather than strictly through the browser, so this isnt as much of an issue anymore, but Ive had it happen with other sites too.

I have yet to see a browser that is fully standards compliant (although I believe Opera is probably the closest, from what Ive read in the past).

will code for bandwidth
www.mightorindustries.net

We have 1567 guests and one member online

supportus