Help

• Kelf
  • Kelf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hear reason, or she'll make you feel her.
More
15 Sep 2011 03:16 #19812 by Kelf
Help was created by Kelf
:unsure: SO, my computer was working fine for a long time letting me game it up and be awesome. Then it started to randomly black out. Let me explain. I'd be watching a youtube video and the screen just goes black but theres still audio. I used to have this problem due to a faulty video cord but I got a new one and all was dandy. Now its doing it again. I have more monitors so i used another monitor cable. Any suggestions on what it could be? i was thinking the video card but I want more opinions before i go drop the dough on another one. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2011 03:19 #19813 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Help
Sounds like a video card or cable problem to me

Wes

• Kelf
More
15 Sep 2011 03:32 #19814 by Kelf
Replied by Kelf on topic Re: Help
:( I know but I was hoping it wasn't. Damned KAIDS.

More
15 Sep 2011 03:44 - 15 Sep 2011 03:45 #19815 by Big Ed
Replied by Big Ed on topic Re: Help
Sounds like the video card to me too. Have you updated the drivers for the video card lately? Maybe the card is overheating?
Last edit: 15 Sep 2011 03:45 by Big Ed.

More
15 Sep 2011 07:07 #19819 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: Help
Did you turn the computer on its side?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2, Kelf

More
15 Sep 2011 07:42 #19820 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Re: Help
You should open the case and dust it out. While your in there, check for swollen or leaking capacitors, on both the video card, and motherboard. Check the seating as well for both the video card and RAM.

More
15 Sep 2011 21:35 #19827 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: Help
Maybe reseat the video card as well.

• Kelf
More
16 Sep 2011 04:11 #19833 by Kelf
I don't think the card was overheating because it would do this a minute or so after it had been off all night. I switched monitors and I havent had any issues...

More
16 Sep 2011 04:39 #19834 by garfi3ld
I wasn't even thinking about the monitor but that could be the problem too. You should try the monitor on a second pc also

Wes

• Kelf
More
16 Sep 2011 04:48 #19835 by Kelf
Gotta have one for that :P I'll try and find a friend and do that but I'm not too bummed if it is the case i bought it for like 200 from matt like 2 or 3 years ago B)

More
16 Sep 2011 05:58 #19841 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re: Help
I was gonna say, interested in a GT240? Not sure if it's an upgrade for you. But you'd get a good price.
I just hope you're gonna be there for LoL tomorrow!!!
And you need to attend a friggen LanOC event before you have 2 kids!

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

• Kelf
More
17 Sep 2011 00:34 #19849 by Kelf
Lol I know man I KNOW! The damned events are spaced out and not close to any kind of holidays that I get 4-day passes for so yeah :( I want to something fierce.

• Kelf
More
29 Dec 2011 21:07 #21880 by Kelf
Never did tell you guys what it was, and it was indeed the monitor. That saddened me a little because it was a 24 incher, but i had a newer 23 inch monitor that actually looks better. i am now looking to do some minor upgrading since tax season is coming around... If I were to say think about doing a budget upgrade what would you recommend? I am considering getting a new mobo and ram and maybe a video card. Mobo/ram wise i currently have an older mobo with 4 gigs of DDR2. I am curious if I can go to DDR3 ram with my current CPU. Its a q6600. I know I KNOW! it's old i got it. But with all the other stuff I got going on I don't think I can afford to redo the whole computer so i gotta do it in parts. So the q6600 is I believe a LGA775 would I be able to upgrade to a new mobo so i can get that cheap DDR3 and more memory that way? I would love any help and reccomendations. B)

More
29 Dec 2011 22:09 #21886 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Help
I would do a Sandy Bridge build. I would buy RAM asap as prices are stupid low right now. As for a CPU any of the 1155 CPU's will work. I am leaning more towards a i3 for you. It would be a nice upgrade along with 4gb of RAM. As for a mobo I would have to say Asus or MSI. I have used both and they are great. No problems on either.

What ever you do, plan for an SSD. This single item will make the biggest difference with a PC. The speeds that you actually see will be greatly improved. And don't worry about getting a smaller one either. Those work fine, that is what I installed in the Stock Trading PC review that I wrote. You don't need a "Big One" lol, to see the benefits.

I would bring along your old GPU and upgrade that down the road.

That's my take on the situation.

And don't let the i3 fool you either. Read Wes's review between all 3 CPU's you might be surprised.

More
29 Dec 2011 22:29 #21887 by garfi3ld
+1 on the i3, but what time frame are you looking to do the rebuild? As always there is another new and improved CPU and video card around the corner. Ivy Bridge is a few months away from what I have seen and AMD just introduced their new flagship GPU meaning the sweet spot performance/price models will be coming soon along with Nvidia's response.

All of that means more performance or lower prices on todays performance. I'm not one to normally suggest waiting on new tech because its ALWAYS being upgraded. But unless your planning on going high end with the new HD7970 and a X79 board, everything else is so close to coming out.

And to answer your other questions, no you can't go with DDR3 with your CPU. In order to upgrade your motherboard you would have to replace your CPU. Even if you could find a 775 motherboard that ran DDR3 you would be wasting your money to go that route. Figure out how much your looking to spend right now and we can help figure out what the best way to spend that money to get an increase in performance.

BTW are you looking for better in game performance or faster every day performance?

Wes

• Kelf
More
30 Dec 2011 10:15 #21910 by Kelf
I have the SSD and I'm looking for better SKYRIM preformance lmao. Mostly gaming yes. I do need to look at that I3 review.. Gonna be at Adam's tommorow so I'm sure hell tell me lol

More
30 Dec 2011 10:23 #21911 by garfi3ld
I won't tell you anything tomorrow if you don't read the review I worked hard on first lol

And you need a video card first if your looking for in game performance.

Wes

More
30 Dec 2011 20:56 #21917 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: Help
I'm using a Zotac Geforce 550 Ti AMP! Edition at default clocking and my Skyrim performance is great on the Ultra settings. Im using a Core i7-2600K.

Just FYI so you don't think you have to have the top of line amazing card to run it well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld

More
31 Dec 2011 00:20 #21925 by Wooderson
Replied by Wooderson on topic Re: Help
I'm running a 2GB Sapphire 6950. Runs Skyrim on ultra great. Also comes with a dual bios switch that can theoretically unlock to a 6970, but i have not tried it yet.

I kill CPU's

More
31 Dec 2011 00:31 #21928 by Wingless92
The 6950 2gb card is probably the greatest deal on a card in a long time. If I was going to go the AMD route the 6950 is the card to get.

Also, you want as much Frame Buffer as you can get. The more the better, just don't get a low end card with 4gb like that new Nvidia 430 with 4gb of VRam.

More
31 Dec 2011 01:41 #21931 by garfi3ld

Wingless92 wrote: Also, you want as much Frame Buffer as you can get. The more the better, just don't get a low end card with 4gb like that new Nvidia 430 with 4gb of VRam.

lol

Wes

• Kelf
More
03 Jan 2012 19:54 - 03 Jan 2012 20:01 #22000 by Kelf
Well after reading the LanOC review and seeing Adam get himself an I3 for a secondary computer I have to say I'm convinced and will be getting one myself for my rebuild. I plan on keeping my case for now and my GPU. I will be getting cpu, mobo, ram. and possibly a aftermarket cooler. With that said I'm probably looking at just gettig 8 gigs of ddr3. Anyone with recommenatons on brand? I would also like reccomndations for Mobos. I've used my GIGABYTE mobo I have now for years without a single problem so I may just stick with them. :)
Last edit: 03 Jan 2012 20:01 by Kelf.

• Kelf
More
03 Jan 2012 20:14 #22001 by Kelf

More
03 Jan 2012 20:47 #22004 by Wingless92
RAM looks good sir. I would go for a 1600Mhz kit but 1333 will work just fine.

As for Mobo's I would look at Asus and MSI along with Gigabyte. I have used all three and they are all about the same. My Rampage III has way more options then the other two did but then again its a very high end board.

More
03 Jan 2012 22:07 #22005 by garfi3ld
like i said before i doubt you will see much of an improvement in your in game performance if your not upgrading your video card

and the ram you selected is more expensive than faster versions of the same ram like this one
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

Wes

• Kelf
More
14 Jan 2012 06:22 #22157 by Kelf
picked up a diamond 6950 at a decent price courtesy of Wes. Just got in a i3 and 8 gigs of ram that wes recommended in a post previously! just waiting on the motherboard from Adam and I'll be doing a rebuild. I will also be posting my rig on the forums eventually... lol :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld

We have 1985 guests and no members online

supportus