QuakeCon[RIP] 2010 followup

More
17 Aug 2010 04:59 #8227 by cytog64
It is with great sadness that I must report that Quakecon 2010 was rather disappointing. This will be short...

The event I loved in 2007 and felt I had mastered as of 2008 is unfortunately little more than a trade show now. If it does become the next E3 then so be it, but a LAN party it is no longer.
I arrived late Thursday in hopes that I would bypass the line. Thanks to a new registration system I got to wait in line for 1.5 hours. I am a patient individual so I dismissed this part and looked forward to the fun of a good LAN.
Once again, the internet was out. It is not necessarily a requirement of mine for a good LAN, but when the top game of this LAN is usually QuakeLive one tends to wonder what is going on.
As I had learned from my 2007 visit, the file sharing ports are usually blocked. But this year, they closed off the alternate method of DC++. This was ordered by ID Software's new masters.

What does a LAN party without file sharing look like?

Picture 2,000+ computers...most of them turned off. The only games being played are a few scant single player games and a few folks so desperate that they resort to sharing games over a usb drive. Most folks divert their time to walking the show or leaving the event to party else where.

All was not lost. Anyone who knows me, knows I have a habit of making the best of things.
Through the ingenuity of my good pal Humanshield, we managed to set up an FTP server, replicating on PORT 80 (the internet port). It worked like a charm and i managed to introduce him to Blur. I am not sure if my little deed went unnoticed because my connectivity to the network only got worse...if you can imagine such a thing.

Thats OK, I and Humanshield had another trick up our mischievous sleeves.
We decided to launch LANOhio's very first Ad Hoc wireless N LAN Party. It was an interesting experiment and we were able to get in a few enjoyable hours of BLUR and Diablo 2.
We went with WPA-2 security and a key of "quakeconsucks".

If you are among the few that have not been to quakecon then here is how you approach it:
Don't take your PC, you would be wasting your time.
Just go for the show and the after party.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twodavez

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2010 05:07 #8228 by cytog64

More
17 Aug 2010 05:09 #8230 by Lersar
I'm really sorry to hear that; as much as I enjoy gaming trade shows, QuakeCon's ultimate appeal has always been it's LAN roots and current party, especially tournaments.

It's going to be rather ironic then, since we finally will be publishing your QuakeCon guide from a year ago, which was written with somewhat of a lighter tone. I anticipate that you might want have made a few changes after hearing this :)

More
17 Aug 2010 05:11 #8231 by garfi3ld
i think we should add this to the bottom

Wes

More
02 Aug 2011 02:42 #17475 by cytog64
2011 is sponsored by AT&T

www.neowin.net/news/att-to-provide-bandwidth-for-quakecon-2011

"with 5 times the bandwidth"

I hope AT&T's service is not like what I had on my Iphone LOL.

More
02 Aug 2011 20:19 #17500 by Nacelle
5x0=0

We have 1833 guests and no members online

supportus