Our Latest Reviews

  • It’s a little crazy to think that just a few years ago Fractal stormed the market with their Scandinavian designs. Now Fractal is a common name in the enthusiast scene.
    Read More
  • Over the last few years In Win has really stepped up their game. They have been introducing limited edition case designs that are extremely unique and nothing like anything else
    Read More
  • Over the past few years AMD has invested most of their efforts into their APU line. This has paid off for them in the way of performance improvements every launch
    Read More
  • Noctua has always been known for their quality products and high performance air coolers. The issue with tower air coolers is that they often tend to be large, heavy and
    Read More
  • I’ve spoken about it in a few previous reviews but it’s really important to remember that there are a few things beyond your PC itself that will really improve your
    Read More
  • Variety is the spice of life, this applies to anything in your life. This is especially true in the phone market. Most people think of Android and iOS phones when
    Read More
load morehold SHIFT key to load allload all

Gaming and Hardware News

load morehold SHIFT key to load allload all
Remember, remember the fifth of November. Welcome to November everyone. Winter is right around the corner but with all the games that are coming out this month there will be no shortage of gaming time. We have the Midweek Madness sale, Call Of Duty: MW3 is 6 days away, Payday: The Heist has a good discussion going on in the forums, Mechwarrior is coming to PC in 2012 and a boat load of news at the end. Get your snowsuits on, Gaming News is go!

Midweek Madness:


Bastion is this week’s Midweek Madness game. Looking over at the Steam page NickWic had some good things to say about it. With a Metacritic rating of 87/100, it’s worth the $7.49 to give it a try. Remember, all Midweek Madness sales end on Thursday at 7pm EST.

Call Of Duty: MW3:


Ready for some more COD? Then get ready. We are a couple of days away from more of the FPS goodness. I know that not everyone likes the COD games or thinks that they are played out but you can’t deny that they are mindless fun in multiplayer. With Nexus LAN coming up here in a few weeks this will be one of their tournament games. Right now if you pre-order it you can score a free copy of COD:4. COD:MW3 comes out on November 8th.

PAYDAY: The Heist:


With Twodavez posting his thoughts on PAYDAY it brought up an interesting conversation. How far is too far? With all of the games these days having to shoot people to progress in the story have we become accustomed on violence? We see it everyday, news, youtube, internet, it’s pretty much everywhere. But does this game take it too far? I say no, and here’s why. How many of us always wanted to rob a bank but know that the amount of money that would be needed to steal it’s just not worth the consequences. This game will let us live out our dreams with no consequences in the real world. I hear what Dave is saying though. Your not fighting zombies, nazi’s or aliens. You are fighting real people aka police, security guards, etc. This does hit pretty close to home but it’s still a game, If you don’t want to play it you don’t have to. I would like to thank Dave for the great post and encouraging constructive debate on the forums. This is what we like to see. PAYDAY: The Heist can be picked up on Steam for $19.99.

MechWarrior Online:

MechWarrior Online_Coast_Battle

So who wants a new MechWarrior game? What is cooler than running around in Mech’s and destroying everything in sight? MechWarrior Online is set to launch in 2012 as a free-to-play game on PC. Check out http://mwomercs.com/ to register your Pilot's Name now and check out the forums. I will be posting more about this as more news is released.

Left Field:

Left Field

Who’s ready for some Left Field news?

The Lord Of The Rings: War In The North is out today on Steam. Priced at $49.99 you can get your “Ring” on for a small intro price.

There is a new Steam Client update released also today. Download it now for the newest version of your favorite digital distributor.

AMD has released their new Catalyst driver set for you AMD fans. Those can be found here.

Seems like the Dev’s for Dungeon Defenders are really taking their PC game seriously. I have seen numerous updates since the game has been released. Unlike the console version where the updates have to go thru certification on PC they do not so you get updates quicker and more frequent.

If you use Gmail for your email you might want to take a look at it again. Google has updated a bunch of it’s services to look the same. It’s a welcome change. Now everything has a similar look and feel no matter what client you are using.

Not really news but more of a question, what is everyone’s favorite mobile operating system? No trollin'

The Doom 3 engine is heading on it’s way out to the internet. Carmack says that legal is working out the last few details. Can’t wait to see what the modding community will come up with.

Remember hearing about how the PC was the lead platform for Battlefield 3? Looks like they swapped their story’s. Now EA/DICE have said that they switched half way through to get both console and PC versions of the game out.

LanOC is going to be invading Nexus LAN here on November 19th-20th. The LAN is sold out but you can count on your staff to post up some videos and pictures. I will have the GoPro on hand with some head mounted shots along with the DSLR. I know the rest of the staff are going to have their camera’s so we will have no shortage of pics and videos.

Just received and email about a Steam survey about DOTA 2. It had a couple of questions in it and it scanned your system for what hardware you have. I am not sure if I’ll get into the beta or not but here’s for trying!

Runescape is in their 10th year of service. I don’t care who you are those are some dedicated players. Hell, even I got tired of WoW after 2 years, lol.

How about some web based gaming? Dragons vs. Unicorns will launch here in 2012. You can play on iOS, Android, PC and Mac. Talk about covering all of them. This does sound pretty darn funny. Burn down some unicorns while in a hard nerd rage? Yes, please.

Need a water resistant keyboard? You know, for those times that your cat pukes on your keyset and ruins it, thanks Thumper, lol. Check out the Raptor LK1 on Amazon and Newegg. Not to shabby for $35.

Naval Warfare has a free demo version out now. I picked this game up when it was on sale and it’s been quite a trip. I don’t know where my love for twin stick shooters has come from but where ever it did, I am thankful.

Need a new headset? Want something with a little bling? How about the black and gold SteelSeries Siberia V2?

Black and_Gold

Well that is it for this week everyone. Have a great rest of the week and try not to feel that bad that winter is fast approaching but spring is only five months away!

Wingless is out!
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Nacelle#20808
Nacelle's Avatar
The main reason I chose Dungeon Defenders is because it is a multiplayer game. I find it more enjoyable to play with other people than just by myself. Better or not, OMD doesn't fit that bill for me.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Leonresevil2#20796
Leonresevil2's Avatar
Ok, so see Orcs Must Die as an example of what I wanted/expected. You can build where you look, not just 5 feet away when you lock yourself into position. You don't build towers that block paths and get attacked. You can actually take enemy aggro easily. You can fight quickly, easily, and get satisfying headshots and kill streaks. Your character looks and acts like a badass. There are areas for improvement (weapon upgrades, orc limb removal, multiplayer needed) but the higher level of polish is immediately evident. No silly item/level grinds, no lock-in controls, no slow animations. It's more player-dependent than Sanctum, which makes the lack of weapon improvements sad, but it still feels good and satisfying.

And can I get a 'hell yeah' to the idea of elegant combat in games? DMC, God of War, Bastion, something?
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Wingless92#20761
Wingless92's Avatar
I still need to get some Dungeon Defenders going but last night I got booted out of the group and with good reason, I was the fifth, lol.

Maybe we'll get some in at Nexus LAN.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Twodavez#20754
Twodavez's Avatar
In all games that contain them, Chests are my favorite part of the game. ;) (Think Duke Nukem)
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Shroud#20750
Shroud's Avatar
Some people can't adjust or refuse to adjust to different controls. just because controls are different or because someone doesn't like them doesn't make them sub-par. That's all I was saying, if a game truly has bad controls then the controls are bad nothing much to say there, except I've only run into a few of those. But I never said people who think controls are sub-par are unskilled just that a lot of unskilled people blame the controls when in fact they are easy to adjust to given the effort, or are customizable. That is what I was saying. Love the picture.

"I suck at some games, but it's usually not the games fault." is what I'm getting at. :P
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Dreyvas#20748
Dreyvas's Avatar
Dreyvas wrote:
Lolwut. Anyone that thinks the controls are subpar must just not be skilled? Joke post

Fixed, happy now?
Shroud wrote:
And thanks for the being a troll.

Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Shroud#20740
Shroud's Avatar
Sorry it sounded like I was attacking you, I wasn't. Poor wording on my part, just meant that I can adapt to controls quickly where alot of people who complain about controls can't, wasn't making a statement about your skills. I wasn't argueing about the elegance, just find it funny when elegance is combined with fighting. And no Dreyvas I said nothing about enjoying subpar controls but a lot of people can't adapt to different controls and blame the controls instead of trying to adjust. Do I love menu's not made for pc's no, am I gonna complain abot having to click a few more times, nope. And thanks for the being a troll.

How is a game getting harder (be it more enemies, harder enemies, etc.) not more of a challenge? Higher difficulty in the game throws more enemies with higher hp and damage at you. And the towers DO have pros and cons. Also I'm wondering did you even bother opeing the chests? in most games chests= good.. unless it is a monster that is going to eat you. I guess in the end I don't find the controls awkward or burdensome and while not the most complex game ever made it is a blast to play with friends.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Dreyvas#20736
Dreyvas's Avatar
Shroud wrote:
Leonresevil2 wrote:
You have to have mana or whatever to build, and from what I played, you don't start with mana.
I feel it's a weak port due to controls designed/limited to a controller, limited construction system (can only build within 5 feet of your character), the tutorial is a flippin video, it's an Unreal engine game, and releasing DLC almost immediately after PC launch. Combat is composed of a weak attack and a chargeable strong attack. Now Magicka, I'm personally not a fan due to the constant DLC monetization, but THAT is a strong combat system.
I just think alternative Tower Defense games are the new hot thing besides MOBAs, and this one feels like a rush job. Sanctum has an elegance to the map design and construction limitations, pushing you to plan and defend. This game removes design rules, lets you place wherever, designs infinitely better towers with infinitely higher costs (instead of towers with advantages/disadvantages), and has you grind up more for better equipment and points while enemies scale to your stats.
It reminds me of Spiral Knights. Simple combat, but not much elegance in the depth of counters. It breaks down a lot to spamming. The game needs polishing for me to have reason to come back to it. Even then, I'm not sure.
I have nothing against fans of it. I wouldn't say I call everything a bad port; just there are a large number of them. I'd even call Borderlands a bad port, but it's not a bad game. It has enough depth and addictive gameplay to pull me back in now and then. But a bad port coupled with awkward gameplay and strange or missing mechanics sums up as a game I don't want to play.

There are chests on the maps that contain mana. Charge and attack.. guessing you play a mage, which is the only class with a charged attack and a very weak one at game start. The reason the towers have pros and cons is because their are multiple classes all with different towers, the reason they are not infinitly buildable or upgradable is because that would negate from stratagy and the use of characters comabat skill. I've never played a "bad port" guess cause all the controls I need are their (and customizable) and I'm at least skilled enough to adapt quickly. I find it funny that you say elegance in referance to combat, and no not every class has counters. A squire can block, mages get long range and knock back, monks get melee and long range attacks, and hunters shoot from affar. And has for scaleing for difficulty... just turn the difficulty up.

Lolwut. Anyone that doesn't enjoy subpar controls must just not be skilled? Joke post
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Leonresevil2#20734
Leonresevil2's Avatar
Shroud wrote:
There are chests on the maps that contain mana. Charge and attack.. guessing you play a mage, which is the only class with a charged attack and a very weak one at game start. The reason the towers have pros and cons is because their are multiple classes all with different towers, the reason they are not infinitly buildable or upgradable is because that would negate from stratagy and the use of characters comabat skill. I've never played a "bad port" guess cause all the controls I need are their (and customizable) and I'm at least skilled enough to adapt quickly. I find it funny that you say elegance in referance to combat, and no not every class has counters. A squire can block, mages get long range and knock back, monks get melee and long range attacks, and hunters shoot from affar. And has for scaleing for difficulty... just turn the difficulty up.

It was not clear that mana is held in chests, and it really makes no sense if you think about it. I know that the classes don't have weapon variety, maybe they improve as you play more and more but I had no reason to put in a bunch of time as the game seemed like just spammy combat to me. And from what I saw, towers did NOT have pros and cons, they just got better. Sanctum is an example of a game with varied towers with pros/cons. And towers seemed infinitely buildable, or at least buildable enough to block routes and make traveling around the level be a pain for enemies and occasionally the player. It seemed like the strategy was to build towers to block in enemies on chokepoints and then spam attacks until they die.
Now, saying I'm not skilled enough just because the controls aren't perfect, that's honestly bullshit and below the belt. I didn't say anything about you. That's not cool. You've never wished for extra controls or freedom of movement in any game ever? Play Borderlands and tell me you honestly love navigating the menus with a mouse, staring at the tutorial you can't skip, and all those aspects of a game clearly designed for consoles.
Devil May Cry. THAT's elegance in combat; fluidity, depth, and freedom. The classes are clearly limited by the controls (aside from maybe the monk), and are just designed to be easy to hard instead of different styles and roles (see Borderlands, Diablo, etc.) And bumping up the difficulty is just scaling up the numbers, not making it more of a challenge. So they kill you and your towers easier and don't die as easily, spamming them and keeping out of range still wins. That's not more challenge.
You can defend your view on your game. But don't criticize my skill and ability as a gamer.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Nacelle#20713
Nacelle's Avatar
Port or not, this is the best game I've bought this year. I'm glad I read this thread. I haven't played in a couple days and am going back to playing it instead of BF3.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Shroud#20706
Shroud's Avatar
Leonresevil2 wrote:
You have to have mana or whatever to build, and from what I played, you don't start with mana.
I feel it's a weak port due to controls designed/limited to a controller, limited construction system (can only build within 5 feet of your character), the tutorial is a flippin video, it's an Unreal engine game, and releasing DLC almost immediately after PC launch. Combat is composed of a weak attack and a chargeable strong attack. Now Magicka, I'm personally not a fan due to the constant DLC monetization, but THAT is a strong combat system.
I just think alternative Tower Defense games are the new hot thing besides MOBAs, and this one feels like a rush job. Sanctum has an elegance to the map design and construction limitations, pushing you to plan and defend. This game removes design rules, lets you place wherever, designs infinitely better towers with infinitely higher costs (instead of towers with advantages/disadvantages), and has you grind up more for better equipment and points while enemies scale to your stats.
It reminds me of Spiral Knights. Simple combat, but not much elegance in the depth of counters. It breaks down a lot to spamming. The game needs polishing for me to have reason to come back to it. Even then, I'm not sure.
I have nothing against fans of it. I wouldn't say I call everything a bad port; just there are a large number of them. I'd even call Borderlands a bad port, but it's not a bad game. It has enough depth and addictive gameplay to pull me back in now and then. But a bad port coupled with awkward gameplay and strange or missing mechanics sums up as a game I don't want to play.

There are chests on the maps that contain mana. Charge and attack.. guessing you play a mage, which is the only class with a charged attack and a very weak one at game start. The reason the towers have pros and cons is because their are multiple classes all with different towers, the reason they are not infinitly buildable or upgradable is because that would negate from stratagy and the use of characters comabat skill. I've never played a "bad port" guess cause all the controls I need are their (and customizable) and I'm at least skilled enough to adapt quickly. I find it funny that you say elegance in referance to combat, and no not every class has counters. A squire can block, mages get long range and knock back, monks get melee and long range attacks, and hunters shoot from affar. And has for scaleing for difficulty... just turn the difficulty up.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Wingless92#20701
Wingless92's Avatar
I really can't comment on the game. I fired the game up but it didn't play nice with triple monitors and I haven't got around to trying it on the LanBox. Good discussion though here peeps.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Leonresevil2#20698
Leonresevil2's Avatar
Shroud wrote:
There is not a level where you can't build any towers at the start, you just need to open the chests. Weak combat system? you mean aim and click? like every FPS... or Diablo? And you think everything is a cumbersome port. Not sure why people are allways complaining about ports, you wanted to play it on your computer, so they made a way for you to play it on the computer. And it's a hybrid tower def. game.

You have to have mana or whatever to build, and from what I played, you don't start with mana.
I feel it's a weak port due to controls designed/limited to a controller, limited construction system (can only build within 5 feet of your character), the tutorial is a flippin video, it's an Unreal engine game, and releasing DLC almost immediately after PC launch. Combat is composed of a weak attack and a chargeable strong attack. Now Magicka, I'm personally not a fan due to the constant DLC monetization, but THAT is a strong combat system.
I just think alternative Tower Defense games are the new hot thing besides MOBAs, and this one feels like a rush job. Sanctum has an elegance to the map design and construction limitations, pushing you to plan and defend. This game removes design rules, lets you place wherever, designs infinitely better towers with infinitely higher costs (instead of towers with advantages/disadvantages), and has you grind up more for better equipment and points while enemies scale to your stats.
It reminds me of Spiral Knights. Simple combat, but not much elegance in the depth of counters. It breaks down a lot to spamming. The game needs polishing for me to have reason to come back to it. Even then, I'm not sure.
I have nothing against fans of it. I wouldn't say I call everything a bad port; just there are a large number of them. I'd even call Borderlands a bad port, but it's not a bad game. It has enough depth and addictive gameplay to pull me back in now and then. But a bad port coupled with awkward gameplay and strange or missing mechanics sums up as a game I don't want to play.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Shroud#20697
Shroud's Avatar
Leonresevil2 wrote:
Maybe the Dungeon Defenders devs will make it more of a PC game; I personally felt it was a cumbersome XBL port, with too much focus on the weak combat system. When you can't build every (or ANY) towers in the first wave, that's not much of a tower defense game.

There is not a level where you can't build any towers at the start, you just need to open the chests. Weak combat system? you mean aim and click? like every FPS... or Diablo? And you think everything is a cumbersome port. Not sure why people are allways complaining about ports, you wanted to play it on your computer, so they made a way for you to play it on the computer. And it's a hybrid tower def. game.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Leonresevil2#20689
Leonresevil2's Avatar
They probably saw all the rage about Hawken, and realized that CoD clones aren't the only games people want, so now MechWarrior returns. It sounds good, I'll look into it.
Maybe the Dungeon Defenders devs will make it more of a PC game; I personally felt it was a cumbersome XBL port, with too much focus on the weak combat system. When you can't build every (or ANY) towers in the first wave, that's not much of a tower defense game.
And definitely Windows Phone OS, efficient elegance.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Myndmelt#20677
Myndmelt's Avatar
Also I thought I would add that according to IGN reports Battlefield 3 has sold 5 Million copies across all platforms in its first week. Its the fastest selling game in EA history. It took EA's big time war shooter Medal of Honor 4 months to reach that milestone, but to put it into perspective on how popular the COD Franchise is, COD:Black Ops sold 5 million copies in 1 day.
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Myndmelt#20676
Myndmelt's Avatar
Thanks for posting the bit about the newly announced Mech Warrior online. I always wanted to play a MW game but didn't to play the super old releases. I have been wondering when a new MW game would come out so its easy to say I am pumped for a FTP online game, hope they do a good job with it!
Posted: 2 years 5 months ago by Wingless92#20672
Wingless92's Avatar
We are live!

 

We have 477 guests and 4 members online

Live Streams
uud2 
Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
Viewers:0

rsssteam 

channel.png
LanOC
home.png

channel.png
Team 1

channel.png
Team 2

channel.png
Looking To Play

channel.png
Highwayshark
locked.png

 
client_player.png
ozzydosborn
 
client_player.png
Kelf
channel.png
Diablo III

 
client_player.png
Mauricio
 
client_player.png
Clint
 
client_flag_talking.png
DeathShadow
channel.png
FFXIV

channel.png
LoL

channel.png
Minecraft

channel.png
AFK

 
client_player.png
Lersar
 
client_player.png
Garfi3ld
 
client_player.png
AweSam

Our Server Info: ts.lanoc.org