Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 Hybrid 750GB

More
29 Nov 2011 21:21 #21159 by garfi3ld

Seagate introduced their newest Hybrid hard drive this morning. Here is a list of all of the reviews published so you can get a good look at its performance. 

Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 Hybrid 750GB @OCC

Seagate's Momentus XT 750GB @ Techreport

Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid Drive Review @ Legit Reviews

Seagate Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid @ Benchmark Reviews

You can also read the full press release in the link below!

Read more...

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2011 21:30 #21160 by garfi3ld
Even with the hard drive shortage Seagate is still introducing new products. I covered the original Momentus XT, the idea behind the Hybrid hard drive is sound. I think this will be what we see being used on mainstream PC's in the future.

Wes

More
29 Nov 2011 21:42 #21162 by Wingless92
I would tend to agree. Until we see 1 and 2TB SSD's for under $200 this is going to be the norm.

But for laptops an SSD is the way to go. It's quieter, you get longer battery life and much faster. You don't get as much space though which is the downside along with price.

More
29 Nov 2011 21:50 #21167 by garfi3ld
thats actually why you will see this more in laptop at first. For the average user they won't be willing to give up that extra space to go to an SSD, not to mention the added cost.

I also think that even at 1 or 2TB SSD's we will still see the average consumer using platter drives. At that point hard drives will still have a much higher capacity, Its hard to explain to someone who doesn't know much about PC's why they would want the smaller drive that costs more. IMO the only way SSD's will make it into the market fully is if hard drive's run into some sort of cap or slow down on their capacity increases.

Wes

More
29 Nov 2011 22:07 #21168 by Wingless92
Good point sir.

More
29 Nov 2011 22:11 #21169 by garfi3ld
wtf argue back!

Wes

More
30 Nov 2011 06:24 #21192 by chadkirchner
You're both wrong! Wrong I say!

Actually, you both are kinda wrong. With hard drive prices going through the roof, SSDs are going to be a more viable option in the higher end computing market. The last people that will be won over are the people who want a 1TB drive in their $399 Black Friday Staples computer.

With everything moving to the cloud and the availability of high speed internet access I actually find myself using less and less hard drive space every day. This time next year, SSDs will be the norm in almost every laptop, mark my words. Hybrid drives appeal to the mid-range computers or for people who demand more space than they'll ever need. But what I will be really interested to see is how this shortage will affect cheap computer prices.

We received signage in our store today to mark that we are out of hard drives due to the flooding in Thailand. I have a feeling this shortage will be the end of spinning drives as we know them.

More
30 Nov 2011 06:26 #21193 by chadkirchner
Actually, I would love to try out the feature on my Gigabyte Mobo to add a small solid state drive right to the board to work as a hybrid with a normal spinning drive. I almost bought one with this build but said "Why?" when my main drive was already going to be an SSD.

More
30 Nov 2011 06:29 #21194 by chadkirchner
Actually, what Dell needs to do (because we all know HP won't do it and Toshiba doesn't have enough normal people cred) is to create a relatively crappy laptop with an SSD and demo it at all the retail outlets. It'll be so much faster people would be compelled to buy it.

Look at the Macbook Air. Relatively slow processor, modest amounts of RAM, but it's blazing fast. Why? That SATAIII SSD on board.

More
30 Nov 2011 06:32 #21195 by chadkirchner
Oh, and one more thing!

SSDs will become popular once us geeks start getting our parents to buy computers with them in them. I talk to customers literally every day that think they need a Core i7 with 8gigs of RAM and a 1TB HDD for the sake of playing on Facebook. That's because some geek somewhere told them that that is what they need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3, Arxon

More
30 Nov 2011 07:09 #21198 by garfi3ld

chadkirchner wrote: You're both wrong! Wrong I say!

Actually, you both are kinda wrong. With hard drive prices going through the roof, SSDs are going to be a more viable option in the higher end computing market. The last people that will be won over are the people who want a 1TB drive in their $399 Black Friday Staples computer.

With everything moving to the cloud and the availability of high speed internet access I actually find myself using less and less hard drive space every day. This time next year, SSDs will be the norm in almost every laptop, mark my words. Hybrid drives appeal to the mid-range computers or for people who demand more space than they'll ever need. But what I will be really interested to see is how this shortage will affect cheap computer prices.

We received signage in our store today to mark that we are out of hard drives due to the flooding in Thailand. I have a feeling this shortage will be the end of spinning drives as we know them.

I disagree, its only a temporary shortage. If this shortage was going to last for years it would no doubt be the end. The problem is even with the shortage drives are still worlds different in price compared to SSD's. I don't disagree that some people will start getting them due to guidance from PC savvy kids and friends but do you really think your grandparents or parents are going to get that you can't save everything to the OS drive? That's why hybrid drives like this will be the norm for non tech savvy users. This way they are still getting an increase in performance but they have the capacity's they have come to expect.

This is a little different than telling your parents to buy the biggest fastest PC. Moving to an SSD requires a LOT of money, or the knowledge to know how to save to a second drive to prevent the SSD from filling up.

Wes

More
30 Nov 2011 07:29 #21199 by chadkirchner
I'd be willing to bet if you polled people on how much disk space they use, I bet 90% of users use less than 100GBs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3

More
30 Nov 2011 07:45 #21200 by garfi3ld
If noone had digital cameras I would agree with you

Wes

More
30 Nov 2011 08:02 #21201 by chadkirchner

garfi3ld wrote: If noone had digital cameras I would agree with you

I think we as tech people live in our own reality distortion field. When I ask people how many photos they have (when they are purchasing a flash drive or external HDD for backing up), the usual answer is "a couple of hundred". In my 3+ years at my Staples I have talked to maybe two customers who had space needs beyond that 100GB number.

We BitTorrent movies, take videos and tens of thousands of digital photos. We are unique, at least IMHO.

More
30 Nov 2011 13:22 #21206 by Arxon
I am actually starting to see laptops more often now coming with two hdd bays in them. So SSDs wouldn't be a loss but a gain.

More
30 Nov 2011 18:46 #21209 by renegade
I agree with Chad. 90% or more of PC's that come in for repair seldom use more then 100g of the drives capacity and usually that # is in the 10% of the drive space used or less.

The average person could use a 250 and never run out of space. The photographers and the gamers are the minority when it comes to data storage space used.

For instance I have 7 units in for repair right now and not 1 is using more then 60g on the HD. These vary from win xp to win 7 units, desktops and laptops. One of them has a 1tb HD in it and only useing 43g of the drive. Where my laptop i am using over 500g, and my desktop has over 2tb used in data space.

More
30 Nov 2011 19:24 #21211 by garfi3ld
My original point really wasn't about how much space people actually use. Its more that people when shopping for a PC are a lot less likely to pay more for the PC with considerably less hard drive space.

Even with hard drive prices doubling and tripling they are still considerably cheaper per Gb than SSD's. Right now a 250 gig SSD on newegg would run you $269, right now also on newegg to get a 3tb hard drive its going to run you between $249 and $259. Even the largest hard drive available is still cheaper than that SSD.

I'm not saying that SSD adoption won't go up over the next 6 months to a year. I just don't think that its going to kill the hard drive. The "average" consumer isn't even asking for advice on their PC. I've seen them picking them up at walmart and other big box stores every day. They look for some of the cheapest PC's and then make sure that is has more Core, RAM, and HD space than their last PC. SSD's, although dropping in price are still a long way away from being common place in those cheap PC's.

I would expect to see a lot more SSD's being used in thin and portable laptops and high end PC's.

Wes

More
30 Nov 2011 21:57 #21218 by renegade
I agree Wes, I think that main steam adoption of the SSD is still 2 years away, and this is also the line that Western Digital is taking as well. When I was at ITC recently WD talked and they do not see spinning media going the way of the 8 track in anywhere less then 5 years. They do see it happening eventually, but no time soon. Also SSD's still can not hold up to large file server heavy access, database access etc. They have customers that would kill SSD write limits on the best of the SSD's in under 3 months so spinning media is here for a long time.

WD also felt that hyprid drives and motherboard that use an SSD to cache are more the line MFG's will take vs using pure ssd's in the near future.

Prices suck and are going to get alot worse before they get better. WD is expecting to see 500g HD's hit the 175+ range 1st qtr 2012, but as you said even at that price the spinning media is still cheaper then and SSD, and MFG's are going to put in the cheapest solution they can because no matter if SSD or Spinning they are going to have to increase the price of desktops and laptops. Prices on systems have already started going up over the last few weeks at the wholesale price lvl.

More
30 Nov 2011 22:21 #21220 by Wingless92
I have an 80gb Intel SSD in my laptop and I am using 35gb. Then again, their is no music or pictures on the device but it still get used everyday.

On the other two computers I have 1 SSD in each and then a 2TB caviar black for games. In the Main Rig I have 1 300gb Velociraptor and another 1TB caviar black.

More
30 Nov 2011 22:36 #21222 by garfi3ld
skyler your only using your laptop for myfreecams though lol.

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
30 Nov 2011 22:55 #21223 by renegade
Skyler I would place you in the minority not the majority of HDD typical usage.

More
01 Dec 2011 00:48 #21227 by Wingless92
I would say I am about average. Most of the drives aren't even close to being full. The only ones that are the 2TB blacks but that is all Steam games.

More
01 Dec 2011 04:24 #21234 by chadkirchner
Ultrabooks?! Ha! We have one of the new Acers in an it's no thinner than a typical laptop. Of course, the standard in which I will judge ultrabooks is thickness compared to the Macbook Air, so I guess I'm a snob that way.

I almost wish I could purchase all of those leftover Black Friday computers that we have left. In about 3 months I could turn them for a profit because I do believe wholesale computer prices are going to skyrocket, and during a time where computer sales are generally sluggish anyway.

I guess I wish people that say they want a "performance" computer would actually look at real-world performance instead of the fact tags at Best Buy (or Staples in my case).

I just think with OEM hard drive prices skyrocketing, HP or Dell could come along with a 15" machine with an i3 and a 256GB SSD and tout it as being as fast as their high-end stuff now for less money.

garfi3ld wrote: My original point really wasn't about how much space people actually use. Its more that people when shopping for a PC are a lot less likely to pay more for the PC with considerably less hard drive space.

Even with hard drive prices doubling and tripling they are still considerably cheaper per Gb than SSD's. Right now a 250 gig SSD on newegg would run you $269, right now also on newegg to get a 3tb hard drive its going to run you between $249 and $259. Even the largest hard drive available is still cheaper than that SSD.

I'm not saying that SSD adoption won't go up over the next 6 months to a year. I just don't think that its going to kill the hard drive. The "average" consumer isn't even asking for advice on their PC. I've seen them picking them up at walmart and other big box stores every day. They look for some of the cheapest PC's and then make sure that is has more Core, RAM, and HD space than their last PC. SSD's, although dropping in price are still a long way away from being common place in those cheap PC's.

I would expect to see a lot more SSD's being used in thin and portable laptops and high end PC's.

More
01 Dec 2011 04:31 #21235 by garfi3ld
I don't disagree, I love my SSD. I'm just saying from a typical user standpoint they are more concerned about the price and the few numbers they know. I've seen many people buy older PC's with pre i series CPU's just because the other pc/laptop has more hard drive space or more ram and the CPU's have the "same" Ghz lol.

Wes

More
01 Dec 2011 06:48 #21237 by chadkirchner
They do have the same Ghz, which is why that Celeron-equipped econobox is just as good as the i7-equipped laptop we sell!

Right on!

More
01 Dec 2011 06:48 #21238 by chadkirchner

We have 3403 guests and no members online

supportus