Need some feedback was created by garfi3ld
Should we bring back the mouse toss?
Dodge ball as teams or Half and half?
Late night Poker???
Music during the lan? Yes no?
Tournements, should we have less?

I am also looking for a ref for the dodgeball

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2010 17:06 #7982 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Need some feedback
Mouse toss, yes.

dodge ball is fun the old way where there weren't formal teams, just everyone having fun in 2 groups.

no music

tourney's are fine the way they are. Loved old school one we had with UT.

Poker? Meh.

More
11 Aug 2010 17:46 #7983 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Need some feedback
Half and Half for dodgeball
Poker might be cool
Don't have a preference on music
Tournaments are fine as-is

More
11 Aug 2010 19:08 #7985 by s_mason16
Replied by s_mason16 on topic Re: Need some feedback
moss toss hell yes.
dodge ball half and half.
late night poker, might be worth a shot.
i say if the person has speakers in their monitor or some sort of way to play it loud enough that the neighbor can hear it, i say allow it, and let the group around him determine his volume basically.
tournaments have been fine in the past.

More
11 Aug 2010 19:14 #7986 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Need some feedback
Mouse toss: AWESOME IDEA! Anything that gets us out of our seats and doing something as a group I think is a good thing. The sun won’t kill you. And it seems to be the only thing that gets people outside to get a little natural Vitamin D. Plus even the people who don’t like to play Dodgeball come out which is cool. I’d be nice to have a CASE to smash while we were out there ;-)

Dodge Ball: Half & Half, if you want to get formal about it, you could nominate team captains and pick, but the big group was the most fun. Then give everyone from the winning team something small and randomly draw for one bigger item. (Nexus LAN gave Bawls and a keychain to everyone on the team then did a random drawing for a Slappa Bag that I ended up winning)

Late night Poker: Unless it’s online poker, I’d rather stick with PC games. If you want to loose money, then play JJ in an RTS game for cash or donate it to the network fund, or stay at home and play online poker. – Side note: I wouldn’t be opposed to having a poker night on a night other than the LAN. If this is something others might be interested in, we can make another thread to discuss.

Music: No – I like to hear someone yell at me from across the hall when I kill them, and I like Vulture to hear my verbal abuse when he backstabs me in TF2. Most games already have built in music to them that we’ll hear through our headphones plus I can’t stand country music, so if that was playing, it wouldn’t’ make me happy. Too many people to agree on a mix of all types of music. If you want some sound, maybe elevator music would be appropriate:-P

Tournaments: I think there are enough to keep the people happy. I think if there were too many tournaments, then people wouldn’t sign-up for them. If you can keep getting at least 30% of the LAN to sign-up to play in one, then it’s a good idea. Some people come just for them, so you don’t want to scare away that crowed. Yeah they are really good, but practice does make perfect!

You asked for my option, and you got it and more. Can’t wait for v7.0. I’m in LAN and LAN OC withdrawal!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
11 Aug 2010 19:38 #7988 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic Re: Need some feedback
Mouse toss: As far as I know, this is just about a LAN tradition and nothing is ever regret afterwards. Everyone always has fun, and watching Allan beat JJ at 4.0 was a great surprise.

Dodge ball: I don't think I understand what half & half means, but however the game is played, not everyone participates. Have something planned for others? Dodgeball teams greater than 8 on 8 tend to be more obnoxious anyways.

Late night poker: While I am a fan of poker, I think it might be best to focus on improving current events for the audience instead of dipping our fingers into more pies, so to speak. Twodavez brings up an interesting idea with the possibility of a 50/50 cash prize tournament. Participants buy into the tourny, 1st place wins 25%, 2nd and 3rd get 12.5% and 50% to the network fund. Or another spin might be 1st place 50% and 2nd and 3rd get prizes.
This, of course, will work best with a predetermined game so that turnout can be focused onto a popular game ahead of time for practice. With enough people registered or a low buy-in, this could be a great way to raise funds for the network and have fun for all!

Music: IMHO, I've always thought the LANs were a little quiet. Perhaps some speakers at the door playing music just for people walking in. Anything more than that might be disruptive, but if things are too quiet, you'll still be able to hear it.

Tournaments: The more tournaments the merrier, but this takes more organization. See also my rant on Late Night Poker. I think what might be interesting is not more tournaments for people to play, but themed (and scheduled) gameplay. Perhaps a TF2 match using only your secondary weapons, or Starcraft 2 without military units (armies must be made from SCVs, drones, etc.)
Some creativity should be put into this, but if it isn't taken too seriously, it could be a fun twist on just, "who wants to get blown up in [popular game]?"

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
11 Aug 2010 20:45 #7996 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Need some feedback
"I think it might be best to focus on improving current events for the audience instead of dipping our fingers into more pies"

I should point out in response to this. I am not looking to add any more tourneys, only looking to see if everything things we have to many or just enough. The poker idea was brought up because the building now has large round poker tables that we could use. The idea was maybe busting out poker for whomever wanted to join at around 1pm. It woudn't be staff ran, just people playing.

"themed (and scheduled) gameplay"
reading the staff forum i see ;)

Wes

More
11 Aug 2010 20:48 #7998 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re: Need some feedback
Should we bring back the mouse toss: dont know what it is but sure
Dodge ball as teams or Half and half: half and half
Late night Poker: not interested
Music during the lan? NO
Tournements, should we have less: meh.. as long as they work. ;)

More
11 Aug 2010 23:36 - 11 Aug 2010 23:37 #8009 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Need some feedback

NitrosDragon wrote:Music: IMHO, I've always thought the LANs were a little quiet. Perhaps some speakers at the door playing music just for people walking in. Anything more than that might be disruptive, but if things are too quiet, you'll still be able to hear it.

This is a fucking great idea, actually. Play some upbeat music just at the registration table to get people pumped up as they're coming in. Nothing blaring, but I think the effect would be really good.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2010 23:37 by Dreyvas. Reason: Fixing quote

More
12 Aug 2010 03:37 #8043 by Koolaid84
Replied by Koolaid84 on topic Re: Need some feedback
Mouse Toss: yes because it was always a good time

same with dodgeball :) its good to get up and go outside :P

Music: i dont know bc if its around registration i may have to kill people after awhile :)

no poker, i feel it might be a hassle

Tourneys are all you guys :) i feel they bring people in

I think we should do a pie in the face contest :)

Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead. --Anon

More
12 Aug 2010 05:11 #8044 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Need some feedback
I'll be the "Ref" for Dodgeball.

Whatever ya'll want to do is good with me. Just to come and see you all is enough for me.

More
12 Aug 2010 06:05 #8047 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic Re: Need some feedback
Wingless92 wrote:

Just to come and see you all is enough for me.

D'awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Can it b hugz tiem? =3

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
15 Aug 2010 02:25 #8112 by garfi3ld
bump*

the more feedback the better

Wes

More
15 Aug 2010 04:32 #8117 by Kurzuul
Replied by Kurzuul on topic Re: Need some feedback
Well I personally love dodgeball. So yes. The music at the registration table idea is great. As for poker... eh not a fan.

And I don't know what Mouse Toss is so... eh?

File Attachment:

Xbox Live: Ceffanus
Steam: korbaut
Windows LIVE: aloysis

[WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER AND IS BASICALLY 100% ASSUMPTION.]

More
15 Aug 2010 04:36 #8119 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: Need some feedback
Mouse toss, for those who don't know, is when we go outside to the yard next to the building, and set-up a starting line for contestants to throw from. The line can't be crossed, but any approach can be used to try to throw the mouse as far as possible. The furthest mouse wins.

More
15 Aug 2010 06:41 #8130 by garfi3ld
Im surprised at how noone would like the poker honestly. We talked about setting up a table after the last raffle of the night on Saturday. I figured it might be fun to relax on before sleep

Wes

More
15 Aug 2010 16:04 #8142 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Need some feedback
Maybe it's one of those deals where you just set it up and people start playing. It's not my thing, but if there were some guys playing and needed another, I would probably do it.

More
16 Aug 2010 00:21 #8155 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Need some feedback

Nacelle wrote: Maybe it's one of those deals where you just set it up and people start playing. It's not my thing, but if there were some guys playing and needed another, I would probably do it.

I agree, not something i'd come the LAN planning on playing, but if the servers aren't up that i like, i might hop into a game. Maybe if you allowed everyone 100 chips and then had prizes for the people with the most chips at the end of the night, it could be fun. No pressure to play and we wouldn't be out any money. I'm not sure about the gambling laws in OHIO, considering you have drive through liquior stores i bet they are pretty loose. But i'm sure Illegal gambling isn't something LAN OC wants to be involved in :evil:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
16 Aug 2010 00:42 #8156 by garfi3ld
lol Im not to worried about it. Notice that the Lambert days Committee (the group who owns the building) paid over 1200 for the new round poker tables just to use them once a year. They have a large poker tourney each year, the cops even play lol.

And yeah, it wouldn't be during the day while we had other games going on.

Wes

More
16 Aug 2010 20:40 #8206 by J_E_R_O_M_E
Replied by J_E_R_O_M_E on topic Re: Need some feedback
Should we bring back the mouse toss- You don't mess with Success! Definitely

Dodge ball as teams or Half and half - I liked having the big battle royal first before breaking into actual teams. And We've been practicing for our 3 and a half men team. I think we faired ok, for having 2 less people to compete. LOL

Late night Poker- Not a big poker fan, but there is always other things going on too so I'm sure it would work if people wanted to do it.

Music during the lan? It wouldn't matter to me. It could go both ways. Some may like it having something to listen to if not playing anything at the time or just something to listen to if doing something that doesn't have music already.

On the other hand it is cool being able to hear people yell and kackle when being killed or doing the killing. Everyone loves to heckle each other in good sport. It may kind of drown that out if it were to be to loud of music.

Tournaments, should we have less?
Definitely NOT less. I think it was a pretty good number last time. But there is room for more if arranged correctly. But just like the admins always tell us. WE the members have to say what we want for it to be known. Without the feedback on which games we like and all you can't change or add any.

HOPE THIS ALL HELPED IN SOME SMALL WAY!!

"Where ever you go, there you are"

Battle.net: J_E_R_O_M_E
Steam: J_3_R_0_M_3

More
17 Aug 2010 06:19 #8234 by cytog64
Replied by cytog64 on topic Re: Need some feedback
Should we bring back the mouse toss?
I like the theme, but think it would be more fun to change up the game.
Ideas:
Computer case Bowling...
Keyboard Ultimate Frisby

Dodge ball as teams or Half and half?
half n half

Late night Poker???
Texas holdem!! YES

Music during the lan? Yes no?
I recommend no, people's tastes are too diverse...many will be annoyed or simply tune out with their headphones.

Tournements, should we have less?
I am happy with 2 events at a LAN of this size. One 1v1 and a team based game.
My favorite events from past lans (including non LAN OC) were:
Trackmania Nations Forever (LanWar)
Tetris (LAN OC)
Gauntlet of events (trivia, peggle high score, nerf war) (Showdown 2007)
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare [Random Teams] (NexusLan)

We have 1953 guests and no members online

supportus