LanOC v7.0 Gaming Discussion and List

More
30 Apr 2010 15:43 #5138 by Lersar
I haven't played much of it, but people tell me Borderlands has some pretty decent LAN capabilities... anyone whos more familiar with it give an insight?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2010 18:06 #5162 by Shroud
It's adventure co-op but only four people a game.

More
06 May 2010 18:27 #5528 by Leonresevil2
Updated, more organized and such, removed some that seem unlikely, and admitted that, with the beta out, no one wants to go back to SC1. I am a fan of free games, most older games, and getting in larger groups. I loved Flatout2 but the player limit was kinda tight. I would love UT2k4 Onslaught! Could do a tournament with that, and I've tested out some tweaks for that mode (since I love it) to make it play faster and more intensely, since there can be a lot of walking without killing at times.

I have to admit, I really want to get in some Rock Band. Been listening to songs I have, which I know are available for it, and I'd like that. Maybe in a mini lan.

As for the existing games, it's kinda becoming obvious that people like FPS, and there are a lot of FPS out there.

Also, know that games on the List are what I think are/will be popular. The list is NOT of tournament games (god, that would be a week-long lan), nor are they officially accepted by Wes and the staff. My intent for this is to talk about what we like, discuss, and try to get some ideas what is wanted by several people, and what people have and are willing to bring to play. I'm trying to help out the staff, and prevent an incident such as the infamous Madden tournament of long ago. ;) So, the more that people agree on a game, the better. If something seems to have no support, it will probably be taken off, or lowered to the bottom. The official List will be intended to tell people what will be playing there, so people can say "I have that", "I love that", or "Ooh, is that good?" and we will have some coordination in what is going on, instead of a room full of people playing all different games, and few of them playing with each other. Personally, that's what I dislike most, since you can do that at home playing online with whoever you want. A LAN should be about getting together to play together. Otherwise, it's like a party where everyone is texting their friends that are somewhere else.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
06 May 2010 18:53 #5537 by Oh4sh0
Yeah I wanted to do an Onslaught server too.

More
06 May 2010 18:56 #5538 by Oh4sh0
Lersar wrote:

Oh4sh0 wrote:

I think you should try to stay with games that people can LAN and there will be a large amount of gamers:

Good:
TF2
Flatout2
Cod4
Ut04 - Should try some onslaught games next time
Crysis Wars - Although not enough people seemed interested, or maybe there was a tourney going on at the time?

Too much CSS (always too much at every LAN)

Bad:
DOTA?
BFBC2?
CODMW2?

Could Add:
Serious Sam?
L4D - enough players?
Battlefield 1942/DC/2?
Fear?
Trackmania
GRID
Try a diff RTS? RON?

I agree to an extent, its undeniable that we have a great time with a full server of TF2. But I'm a huge RTS fan, which are typically limited to a smaller amount. I don't want to see them go away.

RON = Rise of Nations? Whats the player cap in it?

I'm also a big fan of L4D, but it has even more restricting player limits than some RTS even at it's max.

I think RON's a 8-player one too. The only RTS I can think of that supports more is Annon1404:Venice which supports 16. But a game of that couldn't be played in a day, I don't think. Haven't played that with any more than 3 people.

L4D is pretty much the same scenario in terms of player limits, multiple servers could support more, but again the question of # of people having the game would be an issue.

More
06 May 2010 19:03 #5540 by Tiffany
At the last lan there were 20+ people playing MW2 I don't see why we couldn't get a little competition going.. I didn't experience any lag... not sure about anyone else though..

More
06 May 2010 19:07 #5541 by technobear
no ididnt experience any lag, and my checks on ping times ( habit because my home connection sucks) showed full bars for everyone. OF course we were doing private sessions and not gaming for xp on the public "servers"

i woudl think that if we could get a full 16 in a group we could connect to the normal servers and still get the map to ourselves.. and get xp.

More
06 May 2010 19:07 - 06 May 2010 19:28 #5542 by Leonresevil2
Oh4sh0 wrote:

I think RON's a 8-player one too. The only RTS I can think of that supports more is Annon1404:Venice which supports 16. But a game of that couldn't be played in a day, I don't think. Haven't played that with any more than 3 people.

L4D is pretty much the same scenario in terms of player limits, multiple servers could support more, but again the question of # of people having the game would be an issue.

Age of Mythology I think can reach 16 ppl, maybe WarCraft 3 too. Those are shorter games (as short as the average RTS), and AoM is one of the few RTS I like (my favorite of the Ages games). We have tried AoM before, but it crashed when we had everyone going.

Edit: updated original post.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 06 May 2010 19:28 by Leonresevil2.

More
06 May 2010 20:48 #5549 by Lersar
Leonresevil2 wrote:

We have tried AoM before, but it crashed when we had everyone going.

Bad combination of a shaky network, bad host, and kaids. :)

More
06 May 2010 21:02 #5550 by garfi3ld
Tiffany wrote:

At the last lan there were 20+ people playing MW2 I don't see why we couldn't get a little competition going.. I didn't experience any lag... not sure about anyone else though..

it was running over the network for sure. We were playing our game and part of the way through the internet slowed down and noone had any lag in game.

Wes

We have 1807 guests and no members online

supportus