LanOC v7.0 Gaming Discussion and List

More
19 Apr 2010 16:08 #3960 by technobear
i know that Reaper and i would both be for track mania.

( track mania is another good " anyone can pick it up" game for tourneys imho)

Has anyone tried Battlefield Heroes in a lan? is it easy to pickup? install? etc? i know its free.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2010 16:22 - 19 Apr 2010 16:23 #3962 by Nacelle
technobear wrote:

Honestly at this point im tired of UT games.. they're old and dated and playing against you guys that have mastered it years ago seems to be just an exercise in being target practice to someone who knows the exploits and tricks.

But there's something to be said about the occasional old school game. I know there's a couple people that complain about the unfair advantage persistent stats and perks give. UT is about all about FPS skill, not how long you played before hand. Not that I care, I'm just repeating what I've heard.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 16:23 by Nacelle.

More
19 Apr 2010 16:40 #3965 by draymac
technobear wrote:

i know that Reaper and i would both be for track mania.

( track mania is another good " anyone can pick it up" game for tourneys imho)

Has anyone tried Battlefield Heroes in a lan? is it easy to pickup? install? etc? i know its free.

I have played many hours in Battlefied Heroes and I can tell you it would not work well within a LAN setting. It uses matchmaking software to determine matches and the only way to play with your friends is to join them via your friends list. You could rent a server but I don't think you could make it private. It would rock with LAN support but I don't see that happening since it is a browser launched game.

More
19 Apr 2010 17:14 #3974 by Dreyvas
Modern Warfare 2 is fine with people who already know each other at LAN parties, but again, it sucks for large lan parties or ones you have to travel for, because if nobody is on your friends list, you have no way to join a game on a lan.

More
19 Apr 2010 17:20 - 19 Apr 2010 17:31 #3979 by Leonresevil2
Good to know about Battlefield Heroes, I considered mentioning it but I've never tried it.

I can agree that UT is about FPS ability. Personally, I've gotten tired of Cod4, and I'm not getting MW2 yet. For realistic FPS games, I'd probably go with BFBC2 or CoD2 (since I have it), but the realistic FPS games all kinda become the same in terms of gameplay after awhile. CS:S Gungame was cool, but it just got old quick for me. The genres are becoming watered down somewhat. I was thinking, R6V2 would be awesome no matter what we play, Lersar can vouch with me that it's a blast for even just 2 players. And UT Invasion would be good for free-play, or last-man-standing elimination (if you die, you switch to spectate for good, last alive wins).

For racing, I do like the contact aspect of Flatout. Trackmania is accessible, but is also limited to 8 players I believe. But I would enjoy Grid and Dirt, either or.

For RTS, I agree that hour+ matches kinda suck. I like something faster. DoW tends to be fast, around 20 minutes sometimes for a full win. Yet again, 8 player max. But that is reasonable I suppose, as you could do PvE in tight groups. But I'm not as excited in playing DoW as I used to be.

Edit: added The List to the first post, trying to compose a list of games mentioned that people (even some) seem interested in and would work for LAN. Please feel free to tell me if I missed something, repeat what has been mentioned, or tell if something does not work for Lanning. +1 Draymac for the advice on BF Heroes.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 17:31 by Leonresevil2.

More
19 Apr 2010 19:02 #3998 by Tiffany
I wish I could make it to LAN v7.0 but I leave in July for a YEAR :dry: so I feel weird giving my input since I think I am the biggest advocate for FPS games...

More
19 Apr 2010 19:50 #4002 by Leonresevil2
Tiffany wrote:

I wish I could make it to LAN v7.0 but I leave in July for a YEAR :dry: so I feel weird giving my input since I think I am the biggest advocate for FPS games...

Have you played any FPS games that haven't been mentioned? Also, Lersar mentioned that map/mode requests would help. Feel free to mention what maps and modes you like for games you like. Or even tournament ideas! Any advice and ideas are helpful, and we have enough time in getting them now to be able to tweak and adjust before the big Lan. We just need to keep this ball rolling, because we are getting some good information. Thank you all for your input so far! (I totally feel like a staff member here)

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 20:37 #4012 by technobear
Nacelle wrote:

But there's something to be said about the occasional old school game. I know there's a couple people that complain about the unfair advantage persistent stats and perks give. UT is about all about FPS skill, not how long you played before hand. Not that I care, I'm just repeating what I've heard.

Totally understood! Its just my opinion that UT winds up being a twitch fest with exploit city going on. ( knowing exactly where to stand that you cant get hit and you can hit them)

And i consider myself to be fair to midland at FPS.....

I also agree about the persistent stats and perks..

So, FEAR? maybe or Serious Sam?

More
19 Apr 2010 20:45 #4015 by Leonresevil2
technobear wrote:

I've been meaning to try out FEAR some. If I remember right, there is a place online where you can get the multiplayer game directly from the developers for free (which is awesome of them for releasing that). I'm also looking at buying the Serious Sam HD games, if they run for me and are any good. Were you referring to the HD or originals? I've never played any of them so I don't know what is better or anything.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
19 Apr 2010 22:25 #4025 by technobear
Leonresevil2 wrote:

technobear wrote:

I've been meaning to try out FEAR some. If I remember right, there is a place online where you can get the multiplayer game directly from the developers for free (which is awesome of them for releasing that). I'm also looking at buying the Serious Sam HD games, if they run for me and are any good. Were you referring to the HD or originals? I've never played any of them so I don't know what is better or anything.

I mean the HD version. Apparently they're the same as the original except with support for modern hardware. Watch on Steam they do free weekends all the time maybe you can catch it and try it. I bought it when it was less than $10 on steam.

Here is a list of free FPS games .
www.freemmogamer.com/2008/09/best-free-f...ter-mmofps-list.html

here is FEAR
projectorigin.warnerbros.com/fearcombat/main

There is also Americas Army..
www.americasarmy.com/
though ive not played this one much...

We have 3279 guests and no members online

supportus